Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had to rank them

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your job is buying those rounds due to price.

Back in the day they were probably state of the art, but the newer designs such as the DPX and Gold Dot work better.

In gelatin tests we did at our range both of these loads didn't really expand much in the heavy clothing tests.
    The Remington 125gr +P started to expand, shed the mushroom leaving it behind looking like a lead washer, which turned the bullet into basically a semi-jacketed wadcutter. The bullet then penetrated the 18" block and went about 20 yards dropping to the ground.

Feedback Score
    It is a S&W 637, only a few months old, was bought new. I have shot it off a rest in singe action and the results are the same. It groups really tight, tighter than any other handguns I have. So unless I am somehow doing the exact same mistake the exact same way every time I don't think it is me. But who knows, I may be doing just that.

tpd223, what were you shooting that Remington round out of? Just curious.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My personal 642.

If your gun is only shooting a bit high or low I'm not sure that I'd worry about it too much.
    I actually prefer my guns to shoot just above my sights, probably too many years of shooting targets where a 6 o'clock hold was a good idea.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    What would be the general opinion for the best NON- Premium .38spl +P loading? My department seems to go back and forth with the Federal Classic or Remington Express 125gr Jacketed +P H/P loadings but I don't know if price or shooting results are fueling the section. I may be way off but for the past several years I have been using the IMI lead semi-wad-cutter H/P's in both 125gr & 158gr +P .38spl loads for woods use to dispatch feral dogs which range in weight from 50 to 125 pounds. Now a dog is far from being as resilient as a human but those soft IMI lead slugs seem like they could be effective for two legged defense if needed.
    I disagree.

Feedback Score
    I don't want to make anyone defensive, but...

Don't discount the possibility of 'flinching' with the snubby, or 'pulling' the shots...

Snubbies seem to magnify these issues...

Can you give specifics? Which particular load shoots to what POA?

Feedback Score
    158 grainers are the highest, about 5-6". the 135gr +p Gold Dot is about 3-4" high, the 130gr +p PDX1 is about the same as the Gold Dot, and the 110gr standard pressure FTX is a couple inches low. I have not had a chance to try DPX or a 158gr +p load yet because I haven't been able to get my hands on any. The 158gr loads I have shot are all just target loads, so a mix of LRN and SWC. I have shot some 130gr WWB FMJ and it shoots to about the same spot as the 135+p GD and 130+p PDX1. All of this is at about 7 yards.

I am not going to say it couldn't be a flinch, but I wouldn't think it likely. That would be very uncharacteristic, and I wouldn't think it would be so consistent. I am putting bullet holes in bullet holes pretty much, just a little high, or low. The only thing I think it may be is I am not lining up my sights properly, but I am doing it the way I would with any other gun. The front blade is in the center of the rear notch, and the top of the blade is even with the top of the notch. If I drop the top of the front sight blade down to where I can just barely see it in the bottom of the rear notch, I hit POA with the GD and PDX1. 158gr stuff is still a little high, but not near as much. That is not what I have taught to understand a proper sight picture as. But maybe it is for revovlers or something. I don't know. I am going to keep trying ammo. Like I said, I still need to try the DPX, and I would like to try a 158gr +p LSWCHP. We will see how that goes whenever I get some and depending on the results I then might modify the front sight. Or just get a different gun It would be a good excuse

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It sounds as though you are doing things correctly on your end of the gun.

I'd suggest trying the DPX and the 158gr LSWCHP, and also the +P FTX and even target wadcutters.

Any of these might shoot to POA. The FTX +P might raise the POI a bit due to the extra recoil.

If none of these shoot where you want, then pick one of the rounds that hits low and shave down the front sight to raise the POI for that load.

Feedback Score
    Have you tried the 148 grain 'target' wadcutter (HBWC) as far as checking your POA?

Feedback Score

Snub Nose

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Grind the front sight...
    After owning several S&W revolvers, I would have to agree. YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE YOURSELF NUTS trying to find the perfect bullet that shoots to POA with a snubnose. Then factor-in the variation of ammo from lot to lot.

I personally used mine for a back-up/ ankle gun. Sighted-it in and practiced with-it regularly, with the choosen load.

I would have to agree with DocGKR. Pick-your load, then buy a case of the ammo and grind down the front sight.

SkiDevil
    Last edited by SkiDevil; 08-05-09 at 13:05. Reason: Correction

Feedback Score
    Ummm... he's aready shooting HIGH with all but one load he gave...

Shooting high is not caused by flinching, so forget my thoughts about flinching from earlier...

Grinding the front sight is not going to be the thing to do here... grinding the front sight will make it shoot HIGHER...
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 08-05-09 at 13:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast