Thread: McFarland Rings

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

McFarland Rings

the fact of the matter is, you want you weapon to be able to shoot for as long as possible without failure. sure, an M4 can pop rounds with 1 gas ring- you still want the best seal you can get. what difference does it make why your weapon won't operate with aligned gas rings when you're experiencing SSing in the middle of a firefight? rhetorical- i need no answer.

in reading the few threads on mcfarland coil rings, i havent seen anyone address coil expansion.. most of the negative opinions are that once the oil is blown out of the bolt chamber and crud is blown in, the ring bogs down from friction between ring and chamber alone.

considering what i know about heat and expansion, could it be that rather than it bogging down from a lack of lub and the introduction of crap, the coil expands as it gets hot? there isnt a steel spring or coil in the natural universe that doesn't expand and contract with temperature.

its a 4 coil ring- the longer the coil, the more drastic the expansion. could this design be improved by introducing expansion relief? seems like simply cutting the 4 coil in half, making it a two piece setup, would cut the expansion in something like half. aside from possible excess play (i havent tried the McFarlands, so i don't know how snug they fit the ring slot), i can't see how a two piece design could be any less effective than a 1 piece, considering its sole function is as a pressure seal.

Feedback Score
    The spring is contained in a cylinder (the carrier). As it expands, it gets longer as it cannot get wider. The ring in an automotive piston works exactly the same way. There's only a problem if the ends are contained (i.e. insufficient ring gap).

No hay problemo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    The spring is contained in a cylinder (the carrier). As it expands, it gets longer as it cannot get wider. The ring in an automotive piston works exactly the same way. There's only a problem if the ends are contained (i.e. insufficient ring gap).

No hay problemo.
    it cant get wider, but it tries to- thus putting additional pressure against the cylinder. clipping it halfway allows it to get longer at 4 ends instead of 2.. twice the relief, half the pressure against the cylinder

at least thats how my brain is visualizing it

Feedback Score
    Ive been running the McFarland rings in my BCG's that are in 16" and 20" barrel uppers since last winter due to Grants recommendation and lack of quality mil-spec gas rings at the time.No issues at all.
    The rings seem to take a set after a short period of use and as a result the tension is not as great.
    Have not noted any issues when the weapon gets hot and dirty.

Now I have seen one of the "lower tier" bolts that the ring fit kinda tight in which would hinder compression and expansion.Maybe thats a problem some folks are seeing is tolerances.
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 08-01-09 at 19:04. Reason: eta
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II