Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: About shotguns... honestly.

Feedback Score

About shotguns... honestly.

I know "just racking the slide of a pump 12 will scare them away!" Buckshot, or even birdshot, will "ruin someone's day!". We have all heard them all. And then some, (dumb things you hear in a gunshop" threads etc. , which I love reading, btw!

But honestly, I have about had it with SOME shotgun people. They act like fudds and then they "tacticool" their shotguns and for some reason this seems to make their weapon so much more "deadly".

I respect the shotgun. I like shotguns. I will always own a shotgun. But for the End of the World scenarios? Nope. Hell no!

With all options, the "gauge" is in the mix. With one option, I choose the rifle. AR, AK, M1A1 etc.

Am I a gun racist?

What are your thoughts?

dOg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I really like them & wish more people would consider them for the home if they aren't going to practice with the pistol and combat rifle regularly. To me, they are a little more idiot proof for the novice & folks who have no intention of range time and just want one gun that will never leave the home.

For an all around gun guy who likes them all....I'm happy with whatever is closest. I won't pass a 1911 or 12ga just to grab an ar.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    I won't pass a 1911 or 12ga just to grab an ar.
    Well said... I am a big fan of the shotgun and believe that the tactical versions are quite well suited for certain tasks -- I can honestly say that there are times when I have picked the shotgun over all the usual suspects, as it was the best choice.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    I am with both responses. I guess the "other types" who will never save money or try to get a good battle rifle have just gotten on my nerves. The same old arguments (though true, to some degree, just get.. well. Older. Kind of a cop out from so many people. My sg can do anything your ar can do, hyuk, hyuk!)
    Like I said, I will always have a SG. At least one. But... well, you know. I guess I am a rifleman.

dog

Feedback Score
    Yeah, Almost as bad as the AR guys!

I always pick the weapon for the purpose. Bump in the night, 1911 on the night stand along with a flashlight and a shotgun in the corner. The AR along with my plinking 22s etc are locked in the safe. Why you might ask? Well lets see could be because my neighbors house is only 30 feet from my house. Could be the longest unobstructed shot I could ever take on my property is say 40 yards. Why I would ever shoot someone jumping the fence while standing on the corner of my property I do not know. Sounds like I would have some explaining to do after that one.

The shotgun has proved itself in battle many times, from the trenches in WW1 to the jungles in WW2 to the jungles in Vietnam to the house to house searches in Iraq. I don't think people need to defend the shotgun anymore then people need to defend the AR15 or the 1911.

OK lets give a end of the world scenario a little though; what kind of EOTWAWKI scenario are we talking about? Are we talking a Katrina disaster or LA riots? Or are we talking "Patriots" disaster? Are you fighting or opposing a military unit or just running off gangs from burning your house down? What are you going to do about the police wanting to take your guns in the aftermath of a flood? Are you going to shoot them to keep them? Then what happens after the waters recede?

Maybe, if you have some property like a few acres. You may want to be prepared for a varmint attack? In that case I think I would want an good quality AR15 and a shit load of ammo if the raccoons, coyotes, squirrels, and pdogs ever organize into a group to mount an offensive on my house.

Although, I have not seen every shotgun post out there and I am sure there are the nuts saying, "I will use my shotgun when the end of the world comes", the ones I have read mainly deal with a bump in the night scenario, were as the AR people have a tendency to run the EOTWAWKI scenario. For close quarter a shotgun is a perfectly respectable weapon.

I am all for being prepared and thinking about such things; if we are talking a end of the world "Patriots" then yeah I would like to have my AR and a shit load of ammo with me, but in that end I think it will be a lowly old 22LR and a few bricks of ammo that will help me survive more then any AR could.

Also, so I don't offend any LEOs or Military contractors etc. whos end of the world scenario is LA shoot out or I am going to Iraq and I do not know what is going to happen, then hell yeah, a good quality AR is what you want and need.

P.S. Me and a buddy always talk end of the world shit and what we need to do to be prepared. Passes the time and is fun. Also from a sniper stand point "a 300 win mag from a hunting rifle is going to ruin your day when you are busy trying to snipe back with your AR", from a recent discussion.
    Last edited by CryingWolf; 07-19-09 at 05:18.
    This is a test of my signature, if this had been an actual signature you would be instructed to read very carefully.

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of the 12 ga shotgun. I would go so far as to say it's probably the epitome of the multipurpose firearm.

I've never seen anyone get up after being shot with 1 oz of lead. Not true with some other calibers.

With rifle or ghost ring sights I'm good out to ~150 yards with various slugs. You can get alot of lead on target with a good shotgun.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    I'm a big fan of the 12 ga shotgun. I would go so far as to say it's probably the epitome of the multipurpose firearm.

I've never seen anyone get up after being shot with 1 oz of lead. Not true with some other calibers.

With rifle or ghost ring sights I'm good out to ~150 yards with various slugs. You can get alot of lead on target with a good shotgun.
    I agree. I think it is a very reliable and versitile firearm. Great gun to bring to a pistol fight. I can understand the comfort that comes from being able to have a higher round capacity but there is something about a .72 cal round that commands respect.
    Last edited by Sidewinder6; 07-19-09 at 15:10.

Feedback Score
    Just like any home project - Get the right tool and practice with it!
    The shotgun, the carbine and the handgun all have a place / role in my personal project. Each has it's own learning curve and they do not fit every individauls needs. If you have choices, use them - have the best tool available for the job if you can.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Assuming that you hit them with the slug you are probably right. But, there are also documented cases of people being shot with 00 buck, .357 magnum etc.. multiple times who survived and continued to fight.

I have a tool box. In my toolbox I have alot of different tools and they all serve a purpose. That's how I see it. I confronted someone about 13 years ago with a Remington 870 w/ Surefire set up and he just about crapped himself when I lit him up and jacked a round in the chamber.

Would he have done the same with my AR or AK? I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There are examples of people continuing to fight after being hit with anything.

As IG said, I have a tool-box, a foundation of solid simple skills through advanced techniques that allow me to efficiently remove a threat. The AR allows me maximum use of my tool-box. The Shotgun, while effective within it's employment envelope, it not as easy to use bilaterally, in unconventional positions, with advanced optics and aiming devices, or white-light without a dedicated fore-end. Most require the use of two hands for mainpulations and operation, though of curse there are methods to get them working, it is inarguably much easier with an AR. The AR offers me a level of precision unmatched by most other semi-auto rifles, let alone shotguns- which can make a big difference in many situations. I also know that I can stuff 5 shots from an M4 into the A zone of an IPSC target in the time it takes most SG users to get 2 slugs off at 25 meters. I also know that I can get a T-Box hit on demand at 50 meters in about 1 second with an AR- I know that I can't with a 1014.

A shotgun can most certainly be applied to many situations and perform as well as an AR, but I think that the raw performance at close range is missing the point.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast