Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: About shotguns... honestly.

Feedback Score
    A combat shotgun is on my list of things to acquire. I think that in a situation where there are a very limited number of threats, at very close range (0-15yds), where absolute precision isn't paramount, an 18in shot gun is king in firepower.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What Failure2Stop said with the condition being the AR's user regularly practices/trains.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    A shotgun can most certainly be applied to many situations and perform as well as an AR, but I think that the raw performance at close range is missing the point.
    Another thing is the 'footprint' of carrying more ammo.

We have come a long way in gun fighting and technology that emphasize the point you made.

For me, the shotgun is nostalgic as much as reliable. Old School so I apoligize for my bias. You can trust shotguns.

Back then, rifles were mainly used on rooftops. Our SG tactical training uncluded 'bouncing bullets' (if any of you remember those days) and a heck of a lot less concern for Rule 4/ collateral damage than today.

We used them on entries along with pistol caliber sub guns if were were expecting force on force.

I have witnessed the damage caused by the .12ga at several distances and loads including vehicles. I respect the round when used properly.

Now all that said, Ive got 3 a piece. Carbines and 12ga.
    I am not diminishing the value of the M4. But I will say I service my M4's more than my shotguns for reliability.

Feedback Score
    personally, i love shotguns! especially since, as cryingwolf pointed out, an AR is difficult to use when you might get bullet penetration on your neighbor's house. and nothing says hello like 00 buck. i should know, treated my own fair share of shotgun injuries in the E.R. where i work, especially in residency.

but am now thinking of getting a pistol caliber carbine, or maybe a high capacity 22LR, like the GSG, or a ruger1022, for my wife to use. she's an ophthalmologist, with the delicate, surgeon's hands that go with that profession. she hates the bruising her hands get from the shotgun.

i am also thinking of getting an AR soon, but for the use on our farm. at least there, got over 800 yards between me and my nearest neighbor. then, there's the fact that there are communist terrorists i have to worry about.

Uhmm, don't get me wrong. i live in the Philippines, and we do have to worry about such a thing as a 40 year old insurgency in some of the provinces. there are communists, muslim separatists in the far south, and even the Al Qaeda aligned Abu Sayyaf. at the ranges mentioned, AR rules, but for the city, where all i have to worry is the run of the mill criminal, shotguns rule.
    Last edited by MiggyE; 07-24-09 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    Although I wouldn't grab my Anschutz 1411 to investigate a bump in the night, I don't consider myself as having a "toolbox", I'm a recreational shooter. I think most gunowners are as well.

Most real world engagements take place inside of 75 yards. That is well within the range of a shotgun with at least a bead sight, provided the shooter is proficient with it.

As a mulitpurpose/multifacetted weapon I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a modern 12 ga shotgun.

As for ammo "footprint", I'm not in a combat zone. Again, most real world gunfights are over in a few seconds. I'm not looking to pack a couple of ammo cans worth of ammo.
    From there to here,
    from here to there,
    funny things
    are everywhere.

Feedback Score
    i agree hags. there's a place for each type of firearm, and shotguns will always have a place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hags View Post
    Most real world engagements take place inside of 75 yards. That is well within the range of a shotgun with at least a bead sight, provided the shooter is proficient with it.

As a mulitpurpose/multifacetted weapon I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a modern 12 ga shotgun.

As for ammo "footprint", I'm not in a combat zone. Again, most real world gunfights are over in a few seconds. I'm not looking to pack a couple of ammo cans worth of ammo.
    I won't bore you with my "Pete Show" stories but lets just say;

it is 2am
    I am in my boxers
    and flip flops
    holding my shotgun
    fumbling with my flashlight
    tripping over the lawn mower
    Stubbing my toe
    in my garage
    wondering why I am chasing a "burglar"
    which somehow turned into a cat,
    when my wife woke me up
    from a perfectly good dream
    in a nice cozy bed
    because she heard a "noise"

This is me in my combat gear yelling at the bad guys come get some.

it's 2:15am
    I put my shotgun in the corner
    set my flashlight on the night stand
    sit on the bed and rub my foot
    wife asks "you left the garage open again huh?"
    This is a test of my signature, if this had been an actual signature you would be instructed to read very carefully.

Feedback Score
    Im a rifleman but If I could only have 1 longarm Im pretty sure itd be a shotgun
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CryingWolf View Post
    I won't bore you with my "Pete Show" stories but lets just say;

it is 2am
    I am in my boxers
    and flip flops
    holding my shotgun
    fumbling with my flashlight
    tripping over the lawn mower
    Stubbing my toe
    in my garage
    wondering why I am chasing a "burglar"
    which somehow turned into a cat,
    when my wife woke me up
    from a perfectly good dream
    in a nice cozy bed
    because she heard a "noise"

This is me in my combat gear yelling at the bad guys come get some.

it's 2:15am
    I put my shotgun in the corner
    set my flashlight on the night stand
    sit on the bed and rub my foot
    wife asks "you left the garage open again huh?"
    nice one cryingwolf

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would consider a shotgun viable for home defense if I didnt have to comply with a 18.5" barrel law. Cut that in half then we can discuss a shotgun for home defense.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast