Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread editing/deletion by mods and/or staff

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This thread is getting a little T.O.S.esque...

Let's not go down that road and all just cowboy up, shall we.

I like this place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor
    ....... there should be a little "edited by (Insert MOD/Staff name here)", so we are all on the same page.

and....

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    we add, in red, a message at the bottom of any post that we edit that says (for example) "edited by rob_s for personal attacks". It seems to work well for us and avoids drama like this thread.

Are striking similar suggestions?

That is ALL I was suggesting from the moment i started this thread..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor
    and....

Are striking similar suggestions?

That is ALL I was suggesting from the moment i started this thread..
    No problem Derek, we'll make that a "recommended practice".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it's a great suggestion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As said -- this will now be an implemented policy.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How about letting someone know when their ENTIRE thread is destroyed because one person disagrees with it?

Ask your wife about my SW 1911 customer service thread. She didn't like that I used the first names of the public reps who told me to go F myself.

I had to recently find out that not-so recently she removed the entire thing without saying anything to me or anyone else. Editing or warning me would have been great.

Instead, I find out when Grant becomes a SW dealer and thought he had something to do with it.

Feedback Score
    Your thread is not destroyed. I moved it for discussion elsewhere. Don't make any assumptions about what I did or didn't like. Your profanity and name calling got the thread moved. That's not the sort of behavior that we want to encourage on this site. It was an oversight that you didn't get an IM. I thought I sent one.
    John 8:32 (KJV) And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I had any firearms with me. I said, "Well, what do you need?" -- Stephen Wright

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's destroyed and gone to most and that's what I meant when I wrote what I wrote. If the common person can't read it, it's no use.

*snip*

sent through PM...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Let's take a deep breath and relax for a second. It was moved into the mod forum to clean up some offensive language and 9x19 didn't have the rights to move it back.

I've been so busy lately I haven't had much time to hang out and assist in these matters.

Anyway, I removed the offensive language and moved your thread back to the handgun forum.

Feedback Score
    Since the topic is at hand . . . if I may make a suggestion . . .

When the moderators deem necessary to delete or edit a message or topic, I think it is also good form (and necessary in my opinion) to make a copy of the original and either archive it somewhere accessible to the person who wrote the original, or e-mail it to them.

This was a standard practice back in the early 1990s when this sort of communication was in its infancy and people were just getting their first taste of internet (and before the web was conceived and implemented to help navigate it). When I've made the same suggestion to owners and moderators on other forums, I've been met with reactions that range from non-comprehension to derision and belittlement. In most of those cases, it's obvious that the people who reacted negatively to my reaction had not been moderating very long, at least not by my standards.

Anyway, I won't bore people with why this is a good idea, but I really think you guys should consider it. If you have the time to edit/delete the messages, you have the time to make a copy of it before you change it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast