Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Whats your Red Dot Zero? 25-50-100 yrds?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDutchman View Post
    Good read about the Battle Field Zero, Paul teaches a 100 yard zero.
    http://www.combatshootingandtactics....llpictures.pdf

It should be noted that the zeroing scheme espoused by Mr. Howe in the above article is not a 100 yard zero, as stated above. It is a “3 inch offset” at 100 yards zero. This means that the bullet impacts 3” higher than the point of aim at the distance of 100 yards. Depending upon specific barrel length and ammunition used, this effectively makes the “3 inch offset” zero a 280 yard zero; which has a point of impact that is more than 4” higher than the point of aim at its maximum ordinate.

While the “3 inch offset” zero obviously works extremely well for the highly skilled and combat experienced Mr. Howe, it may not be the most practical zeroing scheme for the average AR-15 shooter.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    It should be noted that the zeroing scheme espoused by Mr. Howe in the above article is not a 100 yard zero, as stated above. It is a “3 inch offset” at 100 yards zero.
    Both are gone over in the article, however he does use a true 100y zero.

Page 1
    For the record, I zero at 100 yards….
    Page 8
    100 zero
    I prefer zeroing and training at 100 yards for several reasons:
     It makes you a better shooter
     It is a realistic distance for combat and the capability of your weapon
     It gives you a versatile zero out to 300 yards with a realistic expectation of a 1st
    round hit.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Both are gone over in the article, however he does use a true 100y zero.

Page 1

Page 8
    Howe isn't referring to a "true 100 yard zero" in either of the quotes you reference here. In both cases he is talking about sighting the gun in at 100 yards (as his preferred distance), though he is using terminology like "zeroing the gun in at 100 yards". Howe refers to the true 100 yard zero as a "100 yard POA/POI zero".

In the article, he is comparing two different zeroing systems: 1) the 100 yard POA/POI and 2) the 3 inch offset; but advocating sighting them both in at 100 yards ("zeroing" them in at 100 yards in his terminology).

His preference is clearly for the 3 inch offset zero at 100 yards, based on his experience that it facilitates headshots at 100 yards (by "lollipopping" the head) and suffers from less of a dropoff at 300 yards.

Molon's point was that the presented '3 inch offset at 100 yards zero' is technically a '280 yard zero' sighted in at 100 yards--and that a shooter may be better off with a zero that gives him a flatter trajectory (like a true 50 yard zero).
    Last edited by fullmetalredhead; 07-04-10 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fullmetalredhead View Post
    Howe isn't referring to a "true 100 yard zero" in either of the quotes you reference here. In both cases he is talking about sighting the gun in at 100 yards (as his preferred distance), though he is using terminology like "zeroing the gun in at 100 yards". Howe refers to the true 100 yard zero as a "100 yard POA/POI zero".

In the article, he is comparing two different zeroing systems: 1) the 100 yard POA/POI and 2) the 3 inch offset; but advocating sighting them both in at 100 yards ("zeroing" them in at 100 yards in his terminology).

His preference is clearly for the 3 inch offset zero at 100 yards, based on his experience that it facilitates headshots at 100 yards (by "lollipopping" the head) and suffers from less of a dropoff at 300 yards.

Molon's point was that the presented 3 inch offset is technically a "280 yard zero" sighted in at 100 yards--and that a shooter may be better off with a zero that gives him a flatter trajectory (like a true 50 yard zero).
    That article was published not long after a friend of mine went through his Carbine Instructor course. He stated that Paul was running a true POA/ POI 100y zero at that class.

If you have better info, please share.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter...they both have their advantages, and the end user needs to decide which they prefer.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    That article was published not long after a friend of mine went through his Carbine Instructor course. He stated that Paul was running a true POA/ POI 100y zero at that class.

If you have better info, please share.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter...they both have their advantages, and the end user needs to decide which they prefer.
    I think you misunderstand me. I am not claiming to know whether or not Mr. Howe uses a true 100 yard zero. I was merely pointing out that the two quotes you referenced were not specifically about using a true 100 yard zero, but were about sighting the gun in at 100 yards (regardless of whether one is using the POA/POI zero or the 3 inch offset zero). No big deal.

Feedback Score
    If anyone’s interested....below is a link to printable red dot zeroing targets at various distances.

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ib93 View Post
    If anyone’s interested....below is a link to printable red dot zeroing targets at various distances.

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t-EOTech-etc-)

Feedback Score
    I use a KAC 200-600 iron sight, no red dot. Visibility in my forest is no more than 100 yards. I took the 200 yard and made it a 100. This is not a big difference. It works fine at 50, just aim a the top of the target.

For more open spaces I'm thinking of snapping on a dot or scope. Maybe go 300 there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used to zero at 100 yards, but after shooting with my rifle a bit more over time, taking some classes, I realized my engagements were much more likely to happen at closer range.
    I'm running a red dot with a FTS magnifier so 50 yards was my sweet spot.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112