Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your Red Dot Zero? 25-50-100 yrds?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You have to use the proper drag model to get accurate graghs and or results. Molon's results appear to be off of a G5 or G7 drag model BT style bullet. The ealier posted gragh appears to be a G1 graph or flat ended bullet. They have dramically different flight paths.

G5 or G7 is what you will usually use ie. XM193 and similiar

Matt

Feedback Score
    I'm another vote for the 50 yard zero.

Thanks for the graphs guys. They really put things into perspective!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glockshooter View Post
    You have to use the proper drag model to get accurate graghs and or results. Molon's results appear to be off of a G5 or G7 drag model BT style bullet. The ealier posted gragh appears to be a G1 graph or flat ended bullet. They have dramically different flight paths.

G5 or G7 is what you will usually use ie. XM193 and similiar

Matt

Matt was correct, I was using a G1 graph ended bullet (coeff. of 0.272)

Molon can expand on this, as well as glock shooter, but the drag model can depend greatly on the bullet AND barrel its fired out of..so it can get messy it seems.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 07-21-09 at 13:48.

Feedback Score
    Gents, the only point that I was trying to make with the graph that I posted was that of placing all three trajectories (25 yard, 50 yard and 100 yard zero) on one graph for easier visual comparison and to point out how impractical a 25 yard zero is for most applications involving the AR-15 platform.

Derek,

Just as a simple friendly suggestion, you might want to reconsider the value that you are using for "sight over bore height" when referencing trajectories for the AR-15 platform.

Cheers,

Molon
    Last edited by Molon; 07-21-09 at 15:02.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Gents, the only point that I was trying to make with the graph that I posted was that of placing all three trajectories (25 yard, 50 yard and 100 yard zero) on one graph for easier visual comparison and to point out how impractical a 25 yard zero is for most applications involving the AR-15 platform.

Derek,

Just as a simple friendly suggestion, you might want to reconsider the value that you are using for "sight over bore height" when referencing trajectories for the AR-15 platform.

Cheers,

Molon

Molon,
    good stuff on the spot check.
    double checked my average "height over bore"
    it was waaaayyy too low..

adjust my charts..and condensed as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    However, it did also indicate how practical the 50 yard zero is for the AR-15. It appears that with the 50 yard zero, according to your graph, you'll stay within +/- 2 inches from about 5 yards all the way out to 250 yards. That's an excellent battle sight zero. Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew.
    Just one of the Shepherd's sheepdogs. Joshua 24:15

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Red dot for 50M and scopes at 100M for me.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    I use the 50 yard zero for my Aimpoint. It makes 0-200 simple, and I can still shoot MOZ at 300 if needs be.

Feedback Score
    RDSs and Irons, zeroed for 50 yards on my ARs. It provides less guess work along a longer distance. As long as you are cognizant of the bullet drop at various distance, the 100 yard zero is GTG as well. Thanks for the graphs Derek and Molon.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 07-21-09 at 16:32.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    Molon,
    good stuff on the spot check.
    double checked my average "height over bore"
    it was waaaayyy too low..

adjust my charts..and condensed as well.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast