Thread: Aimpoint Kill-Flash

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You have two less now...
    Thanks much!

C4

Feedback Score
    Being that the lense cap/killflash unit is hinged to the lense cover, do you find it "flopping around" when you are on the move, or does it somehow lock up tightly into the lense cap when not deployed?

Also, is a killflash really necessary if you have a flashlight on your weapon, since the shiny bezel of the flashlight can catch a glint of sunlight just like the Aimpoint's lense can?

Can you buy a killflash for your Surefire or other lights?

EDITED to add: Grant: does that unit you show fit the Aimpoint PRO?
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-13-14 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Being that the lense cap/killflash unit is hinged to the lense cover, do you find it "flopping around" when you are on the move, or does it somehow lock up tightly into the lense cap when not deployed?

Also, is a killflash really necessary if you have a flashlight on your weapon, since the shiny bezel of the flashlight can catch a glint of sunlight just like the Aimpoint's lense can?

I wasn't going to comment due to the age of the topic, but this is one of those things I've seen opinions change on over the past 8 years or so but mainly in the past 3 or 4...

I really don't see it necessary on this type of optic. Since you're not going to search through a red dot like you would an ACOG, it's less important in my opinion. It doesn't really hurt anything since you can view it at enough of angle to block your view and though the argument is made that it can fill with mud or dirt, a fully exposed lens can as well.

Personally, if I needed a flip up lens cover on an Aimpoint, I'd rather just use that than the kill flash. I can still use the Aimpoint when the lens cover is closed so it can work as a kill flash if really needed. But I look at it that way for an exposed lens too. If it gets clogged with mud, I can still get by using it as an occluded red dot.

I have nothing against them, I just don't think they serve much purpose on a red dot.

As far as the flashlight, I would think it could affect the beam shape and quality a bit too much. I have one here I'll put over a light later and see what happens.

There's a good thread on lightfighter about this.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 02-13-14 at 11:01.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    I read on another thread, either here or somewhere else, that the killflash negates some of the bright summer sun's tendency to "wash out" the intensity of the red dot.

As I live in the desert Southwest, this could actually be a concern, although the dot on an Aimpoint T1 is plenty bright even at mid-day.

Have you noticed any difference in dot intensity with the killflash deployed versus stowed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doc, I have the flip up type on a Pro. The spring hinge is stout enough so it does not flop around. I also find it works good as a shade on bright, snowy, sunny days. It doesn't obscure the dot & is completely invisible when used with a magnifier. I did opt for the hinged because I wouldn't want it there all the time. The whole thing slips on/off fairly easy too if one chooses to remove it completely.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post

I use a Butler Creek flip cover on my duty rifle light, not to conceal my position, but to protect the lens from damage. Not necessary, but a cheap add on.

M4 light cover.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by New Centurion View Post
    I use a Butler Creek flip cover on my duty rifle light, not to conceal my position, but to protect the lens from damage. Not necessary, but a cheap add on.

M4 light cover.jpg
    Interesting. That would work to keep your flashlight bezel from catching the sun in daylight, too, if you needed such concealment.

For those so inclined, any fitment advice, such as "use X Butler Creek cover for Y tactical light"?

Feedback Score
    I put that on several years ago, wish I could tell you what size it is. Heck, wish I could tell you what flashlight that is.

To *loosely* quote Nick Nolte's character in Tropic Thunder, since I am not qualified to quote him exactly, "I don't know what it's called, I just know the sound it makes when it puts holes in paper"

Feedback Score
    ButlerCreekSizeChart_zpsf0c24858.jpg

Found this Butler Creek chart on another forum. I can't link to it because I saved it to my hard drive then subsequently got off the net because I thought I was done on the computer (my browser dumps browsing history upon exit).

This chart shows the Butler Creek number and the corresponding size. It would be nothing to get a caliper out and compare the size of your light's head to the chart. I understand that for lense caps "a little too large" the cap is secured with electrical tape. The poster cautioned not to "force fit" a slightly undersized cap as this kept the cover from closing.

I think we're on to something here....
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 02-13-14 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    Good deal, Doc, that should work. Try to find a local store that carries them and do some test fitting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12