Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How fast is fast enough?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Here is the trailer I'm looking at, the dealer can add a lift off hard top as part of a cash deal. Price is under $700.00 OTD

I was going to add this plastic storage to the front of the trailer to store and conceal plastic gas cans.

Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 07-27-09 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    Beat, It appears to be but it is just an old file photo, not mine. I already live in East Moose Nipple.

Philly,

Good thinking; just massage your ideas. Don't forget a lightweight floor jack (they make some nice aluminum ones) and a 12volt impact wrench loaded last in. Makes changing flats much quicker when time is a criteria.

You will also want to think about your tripwire: what is the thing that will make you hit the klaxon and scramble. Then choreograph it like a fire drill.
    Last edited by RFB; 07-27-09 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Don't forget to have a plan for an EMP strike. That means the majority of anything with a circuit in it will not work. 1960's car, yes, past that, most likely not. No cell phones, no radios, no tv's, no electric fuel pumps, nothing with a circuit. Don't forget this scenario. I think I've convinced the wife of the need for an older(in shape) truck that can pull a trailer. Look into Faraday cages for protection.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RFB View Post

You will also want to think about your tripwire: what is the thing that will make you hit the klaxon and scramble. Then choreograph it like a fire drill.
    I think this is one of the most important planning issues when dealing with the topic of Bugging Out. The farther you are ahead of the curve as it relates to everyone else bugging out and "beating the mad rush", the better.

Practicing your bug out drill, like a fire drill is a wise thing to do. It will show areas that may be in need of a little tweaking.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I'm 4 miles from downtown, in PA's other 'blue anchor,' so a public evacuaton (dirty bomb discovered, anthrax released, inbound nuke, F12 tornado bearing down, etc.), means we're pretty much boned, and will attempt to survive the bug-in.

I do have a big 4x4 ('THE War Wagon' - my '92 Dodge Ramcharger that's been restored and upgraded), which already has BoB's (wife & 4 kids have to come, too!) stowed in it - my rifle bags weigh a TON, but that's only because they're STUFFED with loaded mags, too. The bigger, tougher, older truck, will push through a lot more post-apocalyptic clutter, IF we survive the bug-IN. That's the game plan, anyways...
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Honestly, all I need to bug out is my side arm and a rifle. I can toss all the loaded mags in a backpack and go. The advatage is I can move with little cumberence because I'm not carrying water or food. The fact that I have guns means I can secure the items I need when the time comes.
    It may be a dickhole-ish way of doing it, but mobility is key in bugging out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.scott View Post
    Honestly, all I need to bug out is my side arm and a rifle. I can toss all the loaded mags in a backpack and go. The advatage is I can move with little cumberence because I'm not carrying water or food. The fact that I have guns means I can secure the items I need when the time comes.
    Very Dickhole-ish, why be so lazy? Plan a sensible bug out pack and make your way to a safe area of your choice. Since everyone will most likely be packing you have more of a chance of being wasted trying to rob someone then dieing from the SHTF event itself. This kind of thinking is for toads.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Really?!?! You're plainly admitting to being a POS low-life criminal preying on those weaker than you... forum rules dictate that I don't verbally attack you and since that is the case I can only hope that you try some stupid shit like that on somebody who is prepared one day.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I would hope and pray that you jest.

I have to assume you do not.

One of the main reasons many people on sites such as this plan ahead is to be prepared to deal with emergencies, and the aftermath of emergencies. Call it SHTF, hurricane, riots, terrorist event, whatever.

The "I have a gun, therefore I will be able to loot, rape, pillage, and plunder at will" line of thought might work. Until that individual goes against another like minded individual who feels the need to relieve him of his gun and the supplies he worked so hard to pillage.

My personal plans revolve around maintaining a low profile during a SHTF event. I hope to be able to Bug In for about 1-2 weeks. This will give the "animals" out there enough time to thin themselves out.

But make no mistake, while I have no intention of "looking for trouble", I have the equipment, skills, and 27 years of training and experience to be able to protect myself and my family against those who feel they no longer have to conform to societies rules. DO NOT assume that just because you happen to own a firearm, you are the only one who is armed.

Among my friends we have a name for people with this type of mind set, we call them "Threats", and they will be dealt with accordingly...

Oh, yea, if forced to Bug Out, I could be very mobile without having to loot and kill to get my supplies. It's called a "Bug Out Bag". One uses it to leave the affected area, not to hang around looking for victims to attack.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 07-31-09 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I would hope and pray that you jest.

I have to assume you do not.

One of the main reasons many people on sites such as this plan ahead is to be prepared to deal with emergencies, and the aftermath of emergencies. Call it SHTF, hurricane, riots, terrorist event, whatever.

The "I have a gun, therefore I will be able to loot, rape, pillage, and plunder at will" line of thought might work. Until that individual goes against another like minded individual who feels the need to relieve him of his gun and the supplies he worked so hard to pillage.

My personal plans revolve around maintaining a low profile during a SHTF event. I hope to be able to Bug In for about 1-2 weeks. This will give the "animals" out there enough time to thin themselves out.

But make no mistake, while I have no intention of "looking for trouble", I have the equipment, skills, and 27 years of training and experience to be able to protect myself and my family against those who feel they no longer have to conform to societies rules. DO NOT assume that just because you happen to own a firearm, you are the only one who is armed.

Among my friends we have a name for people with this type of mind set, we call them "Threats", and they will be dealt with accordingly...

Oh, yea, if forced to Bug Out, I could be very mobile without having to loot and kill to get my supplies. It's called a "Bug Out Bag". One uses it to leave the affected area, not to hang around looking for victims to attack.
    See it as you want, but I don't consider hurricanes, tornados or Earthquakes SHTF. Don't get me wrong, those are bad, but recoverable from. It might take a week for assistance to come at the worst, but I have enough food and bottled water in the house to supply my family.
    My definition of SHTF is a total breakdown of society and governmental service. Nuclear War, Zombie invasion ect. Great you guys have bug out bags with 1-2 weeks of supplies, what are you going to do when your supplies run out? Dollars will be worthless then. How do you propose you are going to get the supplies you need?
    I'm in a large metropolitan area, but I can make it in a few days on foot to areas with rivers, streams and deer and can get food that way, but I'm not going to jump on the moral high horse that so many online seem to do and I'll state that me and my family come before anyone else and I'll do what I have to do at the time to make sure we survive. IF I have to kill someone for their supplies, then that's what's going to happen. I'd rather not have to do it and just rob them, but I'm being real.
    In a real SHTF scenario it's every man for himself or if you can form a group even better, but you will need to secure food/supplies. You will have to do some damn distastefull things if you want to survive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast