Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How fast is fast enough?

Feedback Score
    I am not completely convinced that speed is always the end all answer. Not that being prepared to execute a well thought out plan quickly is the wrong answer either.

In a no BS SHTF scenario it is likely that many people will attempt to flee the area in haste creating huge problems on the roads and highways. I personally plan for the worse and plan on being able to protect my family from my home or vehicle until I can develop a plan or have the ability to safely and securely "bug out" to safety.

I plan on runs on water and food like we have seen during natural disasters, and complete sell out of commercial protective equipment generally seen during volcano eruptions and mudslides. Things like micron water filters and MREs are a must along with a good store of canned and dehydrated items. These items partner well with a couple rifles and pistols in common calibers and plenty of ammo.

The ability to defend self and loved ones from a strong point or transport yourself and family to that well fortified defensive position is the key in my opinion. You can plan deliberate actions from your "castle" and make much more informed decisions in a permissive environment.

EMP strikes would wreak havoc on our modern society. The general populace would not understand what has happened and without their TV sets or computers and cell phones the nation would be thrust into chaos.

Those of us who have chosen to prepare for the worst would likely be quickly targeted by those who have not. Use your training and skills to position yourself in a place you can survive and defend. Hope for the best but expect the worse. A reliable and capable 4x4 coupled with planning, and a defensive weapons posture would go far in my opinion.

Police and Military will probably not take kindly to everyone running around brandishing an assault rifle and a chest rig/Body Armor. I would definitely be worried about Blue on Blue with LEOs. The last thing we would need is the good guys in a gun fight with the good guys.
    I have giant zombie hating Mastiffs, Got that avenue covered, unless they turn……….

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I carried openly(CETME) in NOLA after Katrina and the NOPD and Jefferson Parish Deputies gave you the once over in judgment. I never had a problem going through many roadblocks. Idiots shooting at LE and helicopters had problems. I did have issues with out of area LE that manned roadblocks, but they deferred to local LE and the issue went away. I always thought that was professional of them and actually demonstrated intelligence and common sense.

Parts of the 82nd were down in NOLA and they used common sense as well. Myself and the only other guy left in our neighborhood posted up every day at opposite ends of the block to show there were armed people there. Mil that came by waved, or dropped off water and talked to us. We stayed out of sight most of the time,(didn't think it was wise considering what was going on to be out in the open) but our signs about shooting looters and our every so often presence kept the area safe except for one incident. It also helped that Jeff. Parish Sheriff Harry Lee made it clear on the radio many times that citizens had the right to shoot people that crossed onto their property without permission. I think this was okayed under martial law and was how he could issue these statements. My neighbor had a bullhorn that he regularly made announcements to the looters literally across the canal that they would be shot if they crossed into our "territory." Every morning they spread out and looted stores in the area for about a week. At night, most people, looters included, locked themselves indoors and sat around armed if they could. Looting mainly was confined to stores.

We were lucky in that two sides of our block backed up to canals with high fences. I liked "patrolling" b/c it allowed me to get out of a mold filled house. Within 2 days, the house had mold growing. It was unbelievable. Lots of stories, not enough space.
    Last edited by 6933; 08-02-09 at 11:35. Reason: grammar

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    I carried openly(CETME) in NOLA after Katrina and the NOPD and Jefferson Parish Deputies gave you the once over in judgment. I never had a problem going through many roadblocks. Idiots shooting at LE and helicopters had problems. I did have issues with out of area LE that manned roadblocks, but they deferred to local LE and the issue went away. I always thought that was professional of them and actually demonstrated intelligence and common sense.

Parts of the 82nd were down in NOLA and they used common sense as well. Myself and the only other guy left in our neighborhood posted up every day at opposite ends of the block to show there were armed people there. Mil that came by waved, or dropped off water and talked to us. We stayed out of sight most of the time,(didn't think it was wise considering what was going on to be out in the open) but our signs about shooting looters and our every so often presence kept the area safe except for one incident. It also helped that Jeff. Parish Sheriff Harry Lee made it clear on the radio many times that citizens had the right to shoot people that crossed onto their property without permission. I think this was okayed under martial law and was how he could issue these statements. My neighbor had a bullhorn that he regularly made announcements to the looters literally across the canal that they would be shot if they crossed into our "territory." Every morning they spread out and looted stores in the area for about a week. At night, most people, looters included, locked themselves indoors and sat around armed if they could. Looting mainly was confined to stores.

We were lucky in that two sides of our block backed up to canals with high fences. I liked "patrolling" b/c it allowed me to get out of a mold filled house. Within 2 days, the house had mold growing. It was unbelievable. Lots of stories, not enough space.

Good to hear that the guys had the common sense following the unfortunate events. Some of my buddies were helping out with the emergency extractions and had stories about armed folks and people shooting at the birds.

I know most professionals can recognize the difference between the good guys and bad guys, I have always just worried about my family paying the price for someone else's poor judgement. I do worry because I am a big guy with a bunch of Tattoos, so I am sure most LEOs see an outlaw biker, not a military professional, thats always been my concern. That whole act responsibly thing does generally go a long way those who protect us at home.

Its nice to hear a sucess story once in a while. Too often we only hear about the looters or armed criminals causing problems. I often wonder about all the folks we see on these boards (I am new to M4C, but recognize tons of screen names) and remember some of their locations. Wonder if they had any sucess in defending themselves and their families during those rough times.

Nice to hear that the LEOs understood the situation and allowed the "grey area" to exist and our citizens to defend themselves and their property.

Feedback Score
    I let this run on for a while, simply as a reminder to the majority of the M4C members that there are some people out there that are seriously loose gear.

mr. scott - please check you personal messages.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234