Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military members with more muscle are penalized during fitness tests.

Feedback Score
    I can't speak for the military now, but when I was in during the late 90s (US Army), it was very advantageous to be lean. The Army standard of testing muscular endurance vs. muscular strength is in line with Army demands on the body.

I was the muscular guy (back then) that never could max the 2 mile run. I always maxed my push-ups and sit-ups, but I never maxed my 2 mile run during a record APFT (when it mattered). Once I came within 30 seconds but I was wearing a flack jacket on that run (Bosnia).

I'm not saying that strength isn't important in the military, just that endurance is more important. Here's the scenario: 18-25 mile forced road march followed by digging foxholes all night with a glorified foldable table spoon, followed by tactical engagements the entire following day, ambush patrol all the next night, etc, etc, etc... places a higher premium on endurance over strength.

I was always on the overweight list (I was 5'11" and weighed 190 lbs), but that was always cleared up when they did the tape test (which I have problems with as well, but that will be for another time and place).
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Somebody just figured this out? The Army's PT test is designed for 6' Appalachian hillbillies who were so malnourished they gained forty pounds the first month of basic. I never passed a weight test, or failed a tape test, ever. And when they started doing actual fat % testing in my unit, I passed by a larger margin. I'm a big, little mother****er (5'9", 190) and that's just the way I'm built. I have a 29" inseam, and I'm not running Kenyan-style 5 minute miles even if you strap a JATO to my ass.

BUT....I will (or could, back in the day...though I ain't bad for a desk diver anymore) ruck up with a ****ing TANK on my back and carry that ****er as far as I have to plus 10% for good measure, and half of the cherries' heavy shit too.

Life ain't fair...but all things considered, I'd rather be a diesel HMMWV than a Corvette.
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 08-02-09 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

BUT....I will (or could, back in the day...though I ain't bad for a desk diver anymore) ruck up with a ****ing TANK on my back and carry that ****er as far as I have to plus 10% for good measure, and half of the cherries' heavy shit too.

Life ain't fair...but all things considered, I'd rather be a diesel HMMWV than a Corvette.
    AMEN Brother, too many of my young "ladies" that score a 300+ can't hang in Kit with a ruck of more than 30 pounds. Thats the sort of endurance required on todays battlefield.

Nothing is a race, and if it is you are in lightweight kit with minimal gear. I'll take 25 corn fed country boys who score a 275 on their APFT and can carry or drag a small building over the same number of boys that run like pronghorn.
    Last edited by PACKINHEAT; 08-02-09 at 23:55.
    Focus, Take a breath, engage.... Repeat

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Other than as a 13Bravo, pure mass and strength is not needed. Maxing the APFT doesn't mean you're in shape either. There were plenty of 13B's that could max the pt test but barely pick up 155mm shells, let alone reload a FAASV
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    Ain't no escaping cardio. Lock it up and learn to like running
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Ain't no escaping cardio. Lock it up and learn to like running
    There is Cardio and there is Cardio.

I did 90 Minutes and 1200 calories on the treadmill today at 3.4mph with a 34lb ruck covering nearly 5 miles(around 4.6) and ~3600 vertical feet at a constant 15 degree incline with an average heart rate of 158 beats per minute.

Tell me that aint cardio.

I don't like running, it is hard on joints and the lower back. If you want to be able to Ruck, then Ruck!
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 12-20-09 at 22:49.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    I know on the Air Force side the heavier guys having a hard time with there PT scores. When I joined I was 6'1" 220LBS and built pretty well. When I had my first PT test I failed due to my waist size and run time. I had my push-ups and crunches maxed though.

Now that I'm 150LBS soaking wet I pass no problem but being in a law enforcement career field it sucks when Ole' boy is twice my size but at least my PT score is good
    For comparison:

A week before Basic

A couple weeks ago.

USAF AD Security Force 2008-present

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12