Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SA58 New aquisition

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SA58 New aquisition

Alright, so I was down at the local pawn shop when out of the corner of my eye, I spy a brand spanking new DSA Para-SA58. Now, I already have a regular SA-58, a para would be a nice addition. I migrated down the counter and asked if I could put my grubby hands on it. And as they say... The rest is history!

I'm gonna run home, clean her up and take it out for a spin. I'll try and get some pics of it up tomorrow (stock picture above)
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I think you'll be very happy with the SA58 Para.

I'm moving this from Beyond 5.56 to the Other Systems forum.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, here it is. I cleaned her up, took it out and put 140 rounds thru it and decided it was picture time.

Shoots great, a little more felt recoil than the standard model. Everything ran pretty smooth, until I got it home of course. I decided to detail it out a bit and took the top cover off. Getting those 5 little rails back in there was a pain in the butt! Lesson learned. It's a little front end heavy with that rail, but manageable. I'm not quite sure what I'll put on it for optics, or even if I want to at all. I like the irons on it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Looks nice. If all you are going to do with the front is a light, I would sell the rail and use a short rail to the stock HG's. I would like to see a slide on dust cover for a dot.

Watch the Oakley's on that stock mechanism!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, it looks like my new rifle will be going back to DSA for warranty work. Part of the bolt just below the extractor decided that it wanted to take a vacation. I was firing the gun, slow fire, and after about the 4th shot out of the magazine, it locked up tighter than a drum. Bolt back with no movement possible when using the charging handle. I got home, took it apart (had to start removing the dust cover as the bolt was in the rearward position and the upper wouldn't separate. A wiggle, a jiggle, and I finally got it apart. The vacationing piece fell out onto the table. it appears to be some sort of metal fatigue fracture. I'll try and get some pics up of it later this afternoon. So, being that the bolt is headspaced to the rifle, I have to send the whole damn rifle back in for work. Too bad too, because I just got a whole slew of .308 in for it. They did say it would only be about a 2-3 week turn around. I guess it happens, but this is the first weapon I've ever had to send in for warranty work in over two decades.

Anyone else ever have issues with FAL bolts?

Last edited by Zhurdan; 09-30-09 at 14:26. Reason: Edit to add photo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    bump for photo.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Assuming everything was assembly/headspaced properly it looks like a bad bolt or batch that was improperly heat treated.

I've never seen or heard of that happening but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

FAL bolts/carriers are pretty notorious for being pretty rugged.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it at the pawn shop? I have 3 SA58's myself.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    nice blaster.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Alright, so I was down at the local pawn shop...

Must be some pawn shop. I could see a few .32's and a 9mm, but that?

Not around here, anyway.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast