Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision AR Uppers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Precision AR Uppers

How do you guys feel about enhanced accuracy AR uppers now days? I was bitten by the SPR bug early a few years ago and loved shooting that rifle. The Leupold 3.5-10x scope I was using at the time seemed awesome. Now I’m thinking that the shorter barreled precision (14.5”-16”) upper makes more sense. More in line with the NSW “Recon/Recce” rifle concept. The lighter weight and more compact profile seem to be a big selling point. For what I shoot, a good 16” barreled rifle with 4x optic (ACOG, S&B Short Dot, Elcan, Nightforce, ETC.) seems more in line with my needs and capabilities.

I want to hear your opinions. I'm interesting in building another 16”, probably using some form of ACOG.

Pictures of yours would also be nice.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a good recipe for narrowing down a collection of rifles/carbines.
    Right in the middle of all the different aspects; Length, Barrel quality, Weight, Optics.
    Haven't built that one yet, though I picture one with a DD 12.0 lite (when it comes out), 14.5" or 16" Noveske light contour, 2-stage of choice(perhaps Geiselle), the rest is personal flavor.

My build in the works is...well nevermind...it's a secret.

Feedback Score
    The 16" barrel with a midlength gas system is the most practical AR platform based carbine you can build. If you need a barrel longer than 16" in a "weapon" it should be a 7.62x51.

I've parted all my 16" uppers out for 5.56 SBRs lately. The SBRs look neat, and are a bunch of fun to shoot, but their application is pretty thin when you look at the whole picture. Theres a tool for every job, and the SBR isn't the right tool for most jobs.

Regarding optics: Have you spent much time with the Aimpoint 3X mag behind either a Aimpoint or EoTech? At first I didnt like the idea, but its worked out great for me.

My in-progesss build is:

16" SS 1:8 barrel w/mid gas system
    OPS INC 12th model suppressor
    GG&G flip up front sight w/trijicon post
    EoTech 512 w/Aimpoint twist mount for the 3X mag (gets shared between uppers)

I'm still thinking about the handguard. The VLTOR VIS would be neat, but not very practical in my situation - I dont need something that offers the ability to attach a M203.

I really want to build something with the DD 9.0 Lite rail, but the regular M4 9.0rail will work just as well and leave me money for practice ammo.

Feedback Score
    I like very good accuracy in all my guns.

I also primarily use a 16" barrel, and it is very accurate, and also handy.

It's a good overall barrel length for multi-purpose.

If I was going to dedicate the gun to long range shooting, I'd outfit it with a longer barrel, and alot of other specialty items for that purpose.
    If I wanted to dedicate the gun to very short range stuff, and inside-the-house defense, I'd pick a shorter barrel, and other specialty items.

But the 16" will do most of what you need in most circumstances, and it is a very good overall choice, I think. It will serve well in all but the most cramped circumstances for defense, and it will reach out there in distance shooting longer than alot of people might think.

Regarding optics, that's sort of a personal choice.

Feedback Score
    I've had the bug for a couple of different uppers.
    A 24" varmiter-type.
    A 18" SPR-style.

Now I'm leaning towards a 16" with a 1-4x optic.

Luckily I'm poor right now, so I have some time to decide.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm currently leaning towards this configuration:

(1.) 16" match chrome lined barrel - no heavy weight profile
    (2.) S&B Short Dot, ACOG TA31F, or TA31DOC
    (3.) LaRue 12"
    (4.) KAC, LMT 2-stage, or Geissele trigger
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    The 16" barrel with a midlength gas system is the most practical AR platform based carbine you can build. If you need a barrel longer than 16" in a "weapon" it should be a 7.62x51.
    bigbore,
    I agree. The 5.56 certainly has the accuracy to make hits beyond 300m, but fragmentation will not be consistent. Why have a longer barrel on a 300m weapon? The RECCE concept (16") is more versatile than an SPR (18"), and it should be practically as effective.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger
    I'm currently leaning towards this configuration:

(1.) 16" match chrome lined barrel - no heavy weight profile
    (2.) S&B Short Dot, ACOG TA31F, or TA31DOC
    (3.) LaRue 12"
    (4.) KAC, LMT 2-stage, or Geissele trigger
    This exactly what my last build was. This is by far the most practical carbine (accurate SBR's are absurdly silly in most applications).

Here's the run down:
    1) 16" chrome lined, midlength gas system, medium weight with rifle length sight radius
    2) TA31F w/PF reflex
    3) DD M4 12" rail
    4) CMC SS curved trigger
    5) Ops Inc 15th Model suppressor with custom mount.

I shot the carbine in a match and it was very maneuverable and could easily hit a man sized target off hand out to 300 meters...which is the whole point without going to a precision rifle.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    imho, a 16" really seems to be the sweet spot for an AR in 5.56. Its small enough to handle well, yet long enough to get things moving to a meaningful velocity.

A few times I've considered getting an 18" build, but I always end up realizing the only thing the extra barrel length is going to do is make me carry it around in one of my rifle cases or disassembled in one of my carbine cases.

Unfortunately neither of my 16" are midlength - as they were purchased when midlenths were rare, but I do see a 16" midlength in my future. I'd like to try one in a any-sight 600 yard prone match and see how it fairs compared to my DCM/CMP service rifles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast