Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acai Berry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A recent study compared commonly ingested drinks in the United States to determine the amount of antioxidants contained. It is not stated in the study purpose but I believe that this is in response to the recent acai juice invasion and fantastic claims which are being made about it. Not surprisingly, study results indicate that there are about 6 better ways to get AO's than acai. What is also not discussed in the article is that most of the methods are far cheaper than buying acai juice as well. What is also not discussed much is that you can even save more money by just eating the darn berries instead of buying the processed and packaged juice.

Things which scored higher: Pomegranate, blueberries, cherries, grapes, red wine. Things which scored just under acai: cranberries, oranges, iced tea, apples. Pomegranate juice was actually 20% higher than acai in antioxidants.

What is the short version? Eat fruits and berries or drink their juice if you don't want to eat them directly. Drink a glass of red wine a couple of times a week. Eat some dark chocolate. Hell do both of them at the same time!

Whatever you do, don't pay an arm and a leg for it and don't fall into one of the damn pyramid schemes with Monavie or other versions of acai that are going around.

Here is an abstract to the article. For copywrite reasons, I cannot link or attach the full text.

One final thing to consider is that there hundreds of studies indicating that people can and do get too many antioxidants which lead to things like heart failure, diabetes, renal problems, decreased ability to absorb dietary minerals etc. There is a reason dieticians and nutritionists have to be licensed to practice and that is because of the significant potential for harm to be done by people who, though well meaning, do not have all of the facts at hand, nor the proper background to make use of them if they did.

Cheers...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There's a guy I've met a couple times who sells that Monavie stuff. At $40 a bottle, it better be made with the sweat of a blessed virgin, not some Amazon berry. I can get several years worth of pharmaceutical grade multivitamins for that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    I remember hearing how great Acai Berry was for you... one attempt at drinking some of it made me forever swear off of the stuff and henceforth refer to it as Ass Berry. Yuk!

I'm laughing my assberry off

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    its just like broccoli or any other fruit and vegetable. good for you, has antioxidants, but in reality probably won't change your life at all. no real side effects though, its perfectly healthy to take

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    what are they doing? clinical or pre-clinical studies (in vitro or in vivo)?
    Pharma companies are doing studies and are working on a perscription derivative. Sorry I can't remember more details now.

EDIT: Here is something I found:

http://www.myresveratrolexperience.c...nreported.html
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-06-09 at 12:25.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One final thing to consider is that there hundreds of studies indicating that people can and do get too many antioxidants which lead to things like heart failure, diabetes, renal problems, decreased ability to absorb dietary minerals etc.
    Beware fat soluable stuff like vitamin E and Vitamin A.

I take a 400mg Vitamin E but only once every 4 days.

Stick mainly with water soluable anti-oxidants, your body can just piss out the excess.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 09-06-09 at 12:16.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    So what's the "one simple rule" the online ads keep telling us to obey? Buy their product?

I've clicked on a couple of ads, but didn't see anything--I was actually hesitant, wondering if I would be picking up malware.

Feedback Score
    I had a guy at my local gym randomly approach me about that "E Mona Vie" (sp?) Drink.

Started quoting all these specific incidences of break through in work outs, and people winning their fight against cancer and the same.

Yup, I bought 20 cases right there on the spot.
    Last edited by Derek_Connor; 09-19-09 at 08:27.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12