Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Eotech XPS line?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugentforoffice View Post
    People will be arguing about the battery life of these 2 brands until we are all ash. Forget about it.

What I want to know is the actual user opinions on having the the brightness buttons on the back vs on the side. I'm thinking of getting the EXPS model due to the fact I thought the buttons on back may be a bit tougher to use rather than the side buttons. Whatcha all think?
    I've spent some time with a 517, and I found the side mounted buttons troublesome to manipulate. This was especially true when using gloved fingers and trying to turn the unit off. I think it would be better if EOTech used the same sized buttons they do on the regular units, but only shifted to the side. I'm not sure why they went with a smaller button size, especially considering they're already recessed. Doesn't make any sense.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opmike View Post
    I'm not sure why they went with a smaller button size, especially considering they're already recessed. Doesn't make any sense.
    When the gun is carried in a normal patrol position or stowed for use of both hands, the larger and more protruded the buttons the more likely the button will be inadvertantly pressed, which can make for a sub-optimal event if you need to put holes into something immediately.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 08-06-10 at 08:47.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    When the gun is carried in a normal patrol position or stowed for use of both hands, the larger and more protruded the buttons the more likely the button will be inadvertantly pressed, which can make for a sub-optimal event if you need to put holes into something immediately.
    I understand that. But I wasn't talking about keeping the protrusion (like when they are rear mounted). I mean to have them recessed, but keep the size.

As it stands now, I have no confidence in quickly turning the optic on or adjusting brightness, especially in cold weather gear and gloved hands, if I immediately needed to put holes in something. And it seems that EOTech went with a different switch mechanism than the rear mounted models as well. There's very little tactile feedback or click when pressing the buttons, they are mush. Because of this, it's hard to tell without actually looking at the reticle, if the optic actually registered the press.

Now, I'll say I didn't have as many issues without gloves, and the 553 I tried was completely trouble-free in the button department, no matter what I was wearing on my hands.

Again, I see the need of not wanting to inadvertently bump the buttons on something. But there's a balance to be struck, and I feel personally that the side mounted models, as they stand currently, err too much on the side of protection and not enough on the side of usability.

However, I seem to be in the minority on all of this as I don't see many complain about them. But my experiences now have me wanting to skip the EXPS models, and instead get the XPS and a LaRue mount so I can get my preferred lower 1/3 cowitness and quick detach.
    Last edited by opmike; 08-06-10 at 13:20.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526