Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR - Viking Tactics Street Fighter 25-27 JUL, Smithfield, NC-Pics Up!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AAR - Viking Tactics Street Fighter 25-27 JUL, Smithfield, NC-Pics Up!!!

1) Shooter ready

2) Make car noises

3) Contact front.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 07-28-09 at 21:33.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score

AAR - Viking Tactics Street Fighter 25-27 JUL, Smithfield, NC

Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics conducted his three day Street Fighter class 25-27
    July 2009 at the Johnston County Community College Range outside of Smithfield,
    NC.

Kyle is a former member of US Army Special Operations with extensive real world
    experience. His insight into what works and what doesn't when it comes to fighting
    with a carbine is invaluable. Assisting Kyle was Dan Brokos. Dan also has a Special
    Operations background and is the co-star in the Viking Tactics videos on YouTube.
    Making a special appearance, straight from West Point for a short term engagement
    was Jimbo. He was Kyle's range monkey. Made sure the targets were squared away
    which helped the class run smoothly. Lieutenants are good for something besides
    land navigation?

The class was a mix of law enforcement, civilians and contractors. They came from
    as far away as California, Arizona, Indiana, Alabama, Massachusetts, Connecticut
    and New Jersey for this rare opportunity to attend an open enrollment Street
    Fighter class.

Day 1
    Kyle started with an quick introduction and safety briefing, then right into
    zeroing/reconfirming zeros at 50 and 100 yards. A few drills were run from 100yds
    and in, using prone, seated, kneeling and standing positions. The drills were
    repeated using both strong side and support side. Kyle is a huge proponent of
    being able to fight from either side and gives examples why it is beneficial.
    Picking up where Carbine 1.5 left off, we moved on to review various shooting
    positions from cover and then applied them while working around vehicles.

DAY 2
    Warm up began with a series of carbine drill to reinforce driving the weapon from
    target to target, watching your sights, and trigger control. We also warmed up
    with pistols doing forward and lateral movement on steel. These warm ups led to
    the afternoon's activities where we engaged targets from inside a vehicle, then
    bailed out and used the vehicle for cover while engaging additional targets from
    locations around the vehicle. The drills emphasized weapons manipulation, use of
    cover/positions, strong/support side shooting and movement.

After class, Kyle had us over to the Viking Tactics HQ for an NC BBQ dinner. We
    all got to pick out a free VTAC shirt, do some shopping, and just socialize away
    from the range. It was a great way to end the day. Special thanks to Melynda,
    Kyle's wife, and Tom from the office for having chow all set up when we got there,
    and for putting up with us while we invaded their work space and fondled the
    VTAC products.

DAY 3
    We started by testing various pistol and rifle ammunition against different areas
    of the vehicles (side front, side rear, tires, rims, roof supports and windshields)
    to see how they performed. Another longer drill to help reinforce weapons
    manipulation, use of cover/positions, strong/support side shooting and movement
    was performed. It included fighting from inside a vehicle, bailing out, using the
    vehicle for cover while engaging additional targets from locations around the
    vehicle, shooting on the move, and finally engaging targets inside a vehicle. The
    final drill was to develop familiarity with strong side only and support side only
    shooting to simulate an injured arm. The Jersey boys stole the day with their
    Starsky and Hutch impersonations by sliding across hoods and diving through
    windows.

GUNS/AMMO
    The only issues I saw were ammo related.
    - Three popped primers ended up inside uppers.
    - One case failed to extract. It was Wolf. The rim was ripped off.
    - XM193 (I think. If someone remembers, please elaborate.)

SUMMARY
    There are not many opportunities to shoot from inside, around or at vehicles
    unless you are on the two-way range. The Street Fighter class gives you that
    opportunity. Kyle draws from his experience and gives you tools to help you
    fight effectively with your carbine and pistol in and around vehicles. He pushes
    you beyond your comfort zone but always emphasizes accuracy and speed.
    I would highly recommend the class to anyone in the law enforcement, military
    or contracting professions.

You can get the book: http://www.vikingtactics.com/book.html
    You can can watch the drills: http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics
    But there is no substitute for the real thing: http://www.vikingtactics.com/instruction.html
    Last edited by JMW2; 07-28-09 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    1) Shooter ready

2) Make car noises

3) Contact front.
    Dude you can do better than that!!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFreuler View Post
    You know he has just gotten plain lazy since the vet fixed him!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Still working on my version of the AAR. In the mean time here are a few pictures to enjoy.

Kyle getting things started with a range a briefing.

Kyle giving some one on one instruction.

Dan the MAN watching a student during a drill on TD1.

Dan still watching...

Kyle making a point with Dan watching to make sure he does it right.

A student getting on the gas.

Shooting through the passenger side glass.

A student shooting from within the vehicle. This was a new experience for a lot of people in the class.

Smashing the rear passenger glass with a muzzle strike.

Rifle round through the windshield.

Car noises....BEEP!!!!! Then he loses his mind and forgets his plan.

Getting some with the shorty.

Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 08-07-09 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Where the heck is a Trooper when you need one.

Dinner at Viking Tactics Corporate Headquarters. It was very nice of them to provide dinner and some social time for the students away from the range.

A few more pictures will be posted later.
    Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 08-07-09 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JFreuler View Post
    sure, after i grab a few hours of shut-eye.

hit the road at 6 p.m., went straight to my desk at work at 6:00 a.m.

more pics coming.

My takeaways from this class:

This class was unbelievable. One of the best training events I have ever attended (as a lowly civilian).

It's my understanding this was the first open enrollment of the class (at least on the East Coast)

1) VTAC Carbine 1.5 (or equivalent) really is foundational for this class...to the extent that you are using different shooting positions to work around barricades. Definitely not a class for noobs.

2) Bullets do funny and unpredictable things when they go through cars and glass. Some of what I've read ... such as that great article on Box o' Truth ... was consistent with what I observed, and some of it was a little different.

3) Much of what I previously understood about the car as cover ... was proven totally incorrect.

4) If you're in a compact car and you're in a real hurry trying to get out in full kit with a rifle (or if you are a fatass like me), it's very easy to snag yourself on something. It's also real hard to get into one. Ergo: if you're going to get into a gunfight around your car, make sure you drive a big honkin SUV.

5) If you have no choice but to shoot an M4 with one arm, you will feel every single ounce of your rifle's weight.

6) I did not realize you could fire a carbine with your thumb. I can't wait to get thrown off the range when I practice that again.

7) As with VTAC 1.5, this was a physically demanding class, and it was conducted in hot, humid weather. I'm still sore (esp. my legs).

8) SWAT guys live up to the stereotype.

9) Eat NC BBQ, and you won't fit into your plate carrier the next morning.

I'll repeat what one of the bona fide HSLD guys attending the class said:

"Great Training."

Thanks to Kyle, AI Dan, and Jeff and Jack for putting this class together. Very well organized, well-run class in a great facility.

Last edited by 30 cal slut; 07-29-09 at 11:00.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    You know he has just gotten plain lazy since the vet fixed him!
    I'm glad you called me when you did, dude. I was starting to nod off on the way back from this class.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    More pictures.

Jersey cop getting some with the pistol. The Jersey guys were very GTG and were hard as woodpecker lips. They all wore their kit for the entire class.

Shooter attempting to engage targets but forget to compensate for the sight height over bore issue. Look at the sideview mirror.

Shooter engaging steel targets around the rear corner of the vehicle.

Kyle showing one of the Jersey guys some love. I really think Kyle was wanting and actually enjoyed the lap dance.

Jack shooting through the side of the vehicle with an AK.

This rifle locked up due to a blown primer. We had several instances where blown primers locked up rifles. Even though this was not XM193 it struck again during this class from blown primers to primers failing to detonate.

Last edited by GLOCKMASTER; 08-07-09 at 09:28.

Feedback Score
    This class was the best one I have taken. Ever.

Everyone in the class was a good shooter. Several in the class were some serious dudes that shot serious. Ask them no questions, and they'd tell you no lies.

The instructors were beyond serious dudes. Kyle is a 10,000 year old Jedi and Dan is his 8,000 year old sidekick.

Kyle and Dan took the time anytime you asked to help you get something right. They were proactive and would stop you mid-drill to get you going in the right direction. They made sure that you learned. I have new wrinkles in my brain and will never think the same about shooting again.

Have some new drills to practice and need to make a fancy barricade for the home range.

Here are my takeaways:

If you are a couch potato, get in shape before a class like this. It was VERY physical. Lots of explosive movements, sprinting, transitioning to cover, etc. I'm a runner and strength train three times a week, and I am still sore in the legs and thighs. If you are doing Crossfit, P90X, plyometrics or are forced by people with credentials to PT often, you'll be GTG. If not, do squats, jumpies, mountain climbers and sprinting days for several weeks. You'll need it.

The prerequisites for the course are good ones. I have had several courses from other instructors that were great, but would have been a better shooter if I had VTAC Carbine 1.5 under my belt. Saving my pennies and watching the schedule for that one.

Support side shooting is awesome. Nothing to be afraid of. Kyle teaches you to embrace this and excel at it. Dinging a steel plate CONSISTENTLY at 100 yards in some weird situations and weird positions from support side will confirm it. Plan on using 50% of your body 50% of the time.

Your carbine is evil and must be punished. This class proves it.

Scream like Bruce Lee and smash a car window by ramming your carbine through it sometime. It gets a good laugh.

VTAC slings rule.

Shooting the tires out of a car is more fun in meatspace than in Grand Theft Auto - except you can't run over the hooker and get your money back.

Armed firefighters can shoot. Really.

If the bad guys are shooting at you with a 7.62x39 gun, get your ass behind some significant cover.

The open enrollment was greatly appreciated.

I echo 30calslut. Kyle, Dan, Jeff F. and Jack - I thank you. Outstanding work by all.

----PICS----

Even carbines need naptime

Strong side
    Last edited by qualityhardware; 07-29-09 at 21:03.
    LIBERTY

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast