Thread: TT HEV and the like for uniformed LE patrol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

TT HEV and the like for uniformed LE patrol

I've done a lot of reading on here about chest rigs and plate carriers. It seems like many users of the TT HEV or Eagle plate carrier with cummerbund (and the like) are plain clothes officers/investigators/field agents.

I'm a uniformed patrol officer and obviously my primary body armor is under my uniform. I don't have the luxury of taking the soft armor off during an incident and stuffing them in the carrier vest. I could go with a standard chest rig setup for simplicity but I want more of the "vest" type design.

I plan on upgrading the level of my concealable vest to a IIIA. With that said, how sturdy would the HEV or the like be without armor stuffed in them?
    Remember, this is going over my vest, shirt, badge, etc..
    Last edited by 021411; 07-30-09 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I've done a lot of reading on here about chest rigs and plate carriers. It seems like many users of the TT HEV or Eagle plate carrier with cummerbund (and the like) are plain clothes officers/investigators/field agents.

I'm a uniformed patrol officer and obviously my primary body armor is under my uniform. I don't have the luxury of taking the soft armor off during an incident and stuffing them in the carrier vest. I could go with a standard chest rig setup for simplicity but I want more of the "vest" type design.

I plan on upgrading the level of my concealable vest to a IIIA. With that said, how sturdy would the HEV or the like be without armor stuffed in them?
    Remember, this is going over my vest, shirt, badge, etc..
    The Eagle, the TT and the Mayflower Assault Carrier should all work fine without the soft armor. The soft armor does give the carrier a bit more substance, but should work fine either way.

Another option might be a true plate carrier like TT or Eagle make. The Eagle model can be had with or without the cummerbund.

Giff
    Gifford Holmquist

Owner
    Amendment Arms

Feedback Score
    Tactical Tailor also makes a releasable armor carrier (TTRAC) that is shaped similarly to the HEV (but a little more "open"), but doesn't accept internal armor panels. Has a cable quick-release.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ttrac-...orcarrier.aspx
    TimW
    Phoenix

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a Paraclete plate carrier (no cummerbund) to supplement my duty armor. For me, its the quickest method of uping my protection level and having a few more useful items on me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the info and further recommendations.

Feedback Score
    I just got the TT HEV. It's a great vest and very well thought out. It actually fits two of the three softarmor panels I have.

I'm about 6-0, heavy build and the vest (no armor) fits well over my normal duty attire. It does not interfere with my duty holster or other items on my belt.

I'd reccommend it over a chest rig. You just have way more options with HEV or similiar set up than you would with a chest rig. The chest rigs are a lot cheaper, but they never felt very good to me.

I get the oppurtunity to do plain clothes work about once a year and rarely do I even need armor, but it is nice to have a full vest nearby with everything I need just in case.