Thread: Stock Wrench

Feedback Score

Stock Wrench

Whats the best kind of wrench for installing a stock? Just a spanner wrench or should I just go with a multi tool?
    "Let he who hath no sword sell his cloak and buy one" Luke 22:36

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArCane
    Whats the best kind of wrench for installing a stock? Just a spanner wrench or should I just go with a multi tool?
    You didn't specify if you're installing a M4 carbine stock or a A1/A2 stock, this wrench http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/1570-4.asp will work for installing either type very well. Lube the threads on either receiver extension with molybdenum desulfide grease and torque a rifle receiver extension to 35-39ft lbs, and a carbine extension to 40in lbs (+/-2in lbs). Stake a carbine extension in 2 places. Don't 2nd guess the guy(s) who wrote the TM.

The Bushmaster above won't bend and slip off the castle nut, and gouge the receiver extension. Installing a stock shouldn't be too bad with using the cheap stamped steel stock wrench. It's using it to try to loosen a properly staked on castle nut or one Loc-Tite'd on my RRA is where you'll run into problems. Buy cheap, buy twice.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You can also pick up one of the Rock River Arms stock wrenches for $6.00. It's not nearly as useful as the one above, but it's also only $6 and very easy to pack in a range tool kit.

Feedback Score
    The stock is the Stag Arms Collapsible stock kit w/ H Buffer. I will be replacing it as soon as the Magpul UBR comes out. So I want a wrench that does both. Will the Bushmaster one do both? Is that the best place to get it?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I've got this one from Bravo Company, a site supporting vendor, and all around excellent crew to deal with.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    Thats perfect. I wanted to support a sponsor! Processing the order now!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD
    I've got this one from Bravo Company, a site supporting vendor, and all around excellent crew to deal with.
    As much as I would love you to support a site sponsor like Paul from Bravo, his action wrench appears to be the type for the old non-castle nut style CAR stock nuts. The ones that have a dimple or two that the wrench can engage instead of the 4 notches of the castle nut, these slip off the castle nuts fairly easily. The wrench from Smith Enterprise and a brand new not even in the catalog yet one from DPMS will work.

Feedback Score
    So the one I ordered from Bravo wont work with the Magpul UBR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the Rock river one- I paid $8 for it and it worked perfectly...especially if only use it once a year.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArCane
    So the one I ordered from Bravo wont work with the Magpul UBR?
    I don't believe the UBR uses a castle or CAR stock nut. It appears to mount on a lower much like the 93 series Magpul stocks did, which was just with two allen wrenches.

I messed with the UBR stock at SHOT and didn't see a castle nut. Honestly I like the CTR stocks the best. If I don't use a CTR stock, I use a VLTOR stock. I probably won't buy a UBR, I just don't have a need for one. I'm running a CTR on my LMT SBR and my 3gun AR, I put a black one on my wifes SBR. On my other SBR I run a standard VLTOR.