Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a 308 AR

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Who makes a 308 AR

Besides DPMS, Armalite, POF, (Rock River sometime in 2007?) and Knights, who makes an AR in 308?

And who makes a good one?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    DSA
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I checked DSA's site and cant find a 308

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk
    I checked DSA's site and cant find a 308
    I was being a little bit of a smart ass. DSA manufacturers some of the highest quality FAL's, which are extremely reliable and have a lot of accessories for them....and $5.00 magazines.

Besides the manufacturers you listed, no one makes a .308 AR platform that I'm aware of, and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    .... and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.
    It would have been nice to have militaries around the world funding the R&D, like with the M16, FAL, etc...

Alas, these companies must toil along with independant monies.

I believe that ArmaLite is making up new ground in relieving mag related issues of the Ban Era...

They are still expensive in comparison to FAL mags, but I am pleasantly impressed.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN
    It would have been nice to have militaries around the world funding the R&D, like with the M16, FAL, etc...

Alas, these companies must toil along with independant monies.

I believe that ArmaLite is making up new ground in relieving mag related issues of the Ban Era...

They are still expensive in comparison to FAL mags, but I am pleasantly impressed.

If the original AR-10 had been able to bust through the dam that the FAL and G3 had built, I think it would have been more popular and had more development. It also came out right at the tail end of the MBR procurement.

Everything I've heard about the Portugese and Sudanese pattern AR-10's has been positive. Supposedly the Portugese soldiers that were issued them in Mozambique and Angola preferred them to the FAL and G3 that was also in service.

Feedback Score
    Civ ...

POF, Hands down !!
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I was being a little bit of a smart ass. DSA manufacturers some of the highest quality FAL's, which are extremely reliable and have a lot of accessories for them....and $5.00 magazines.

Besides the manufacturers you listed, no one makes a .308 AR platform that I'm aware of, and I don't think any of them have had the bugs worked out.
    I beg to differ sir, my ar10 runs flawlessly, but then I dont own any wecsog or backyardbubba magazines.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt_Overide
    I beg to differ sir, my ar10 runs flawlessly, but then I dont own any wecsog or backyardbubba magazines.
    A good one squeaked out We send back about 8 of every 10 Armalite AR10s back to get them to work. We've sold maybe 20 DPMS guns, 1 that those I know of went back to get it to work.

Also your logic doesn't follow the rules of logic.

You can't argue from the particular to the general.
    You can argue from the general to the particular.

For instance, I have a gray tabbie cat. If I never see another cat in my life and I erroneously assume that all cats must be gray tabbies, I would be incorrect and illogical.

I can correctly say that some cats are gray tabbies since mine is.

So some AR10s work flawlessly (as yours does), some don't.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    So some AR10s work flawlessly (as yours does), some don't.
    I can assure you that realistic numbers of working vs. non-working AR-10's is probably more along the lines of 100:1.

Since ArmaLite will not release warranty claim figures, we can only wonder at the true numbers, however I can say with great certainty that even 30 "bad" units may not be a statistically valid sample size in consideration of the total units sold.

FWIW, the one I saw hanging in Bernie's shop had a muzzle brake -- the muzzle brake indicates that this might be old stock.

Older guns are not wearing the latest and greatest enhancements to several key components of the system. Not very comforting to a person who buys one that doesn't work, but pretty easily explained.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast