Thread: Newbie Magazine Question

Feedback Score

Newbie Magazine Question

Greetings,

Is it normal for a 30 rd. magazine loaded with 28 rds. to have rounds rattle inside the magazine when seated on a closed bolt? There is no rattling when the magazine is not seated in the weapon.

Due to weather I have not been able to live fire test the magazines.

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I just dove into the safe, unloaded 2 rounds from a USGI mag, loaded the mag, chambered a round for 28 in the mag, and gave her a shake.

Only thing I noticed as the play in the mag well of the mag, not rounds.

What are you using? USGI mags? Ammo?
    “For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.”

Feedback Score
    Chris,

Thanks for the info and sorry about the delayed response. The ammo is Remington UMC 55 gr fmj and Federal AE 50 jhp. magazines are CProducts SS. Cproducts is willing to exchange the magazines, but I want to test them out first.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like something may be loose inside the magazine. Those magazines shouldn't rattle at all when 2 rounds are missing, or 20 for that matter.

If you have one magazine that is making the rattling noise, disassemble it. If you have several, I would be concerned.

Are these magazines new, never used? Could be a simple pebble if they have been dropped before.
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always download all my mags by two (28)

I have never heard a rattle with any mags

I wonder if the follower is sticking or something

Feedback Score
    I've heard this tons of times in new and old mags while I was in the Army. Never seemed to affect anything.

I think it's probably cause by the way M16 mags curve and older GI followers.

If you take it apart and put in a magpul follower (which should be mandatory) I bet the rattle goes away.
    Suspicion Breeds Confidence

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan
    I wonder if the follower is sticking or something

I’ve heard of this problem with Cproducts mags. I guess the followers are catching on the welds inside the mag.
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.” -Lao Tzu

http://quibphotography.com/