Thread: Taper pin gas block tool from Rainier

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Taper pin gas block tool from Rainier

I'm thinking about buying the tool from Rainier which supposedly helps DIY types drill and pin their own gas blocks at home. I do not own or have access to a drill press. The instructions seem to suggest that one could use a hand drill to drill the hole and then ream the hole either by hand or with a reamer in a hand drill.

My question is this: how realistic is the hand-drill scenario? I'm reasonably mechanically competent, but have no machining training or background. Is it easy to run the drill too hot and mess with the barrels' heat treatment? I'm also concerned that it might be too easy to over-ream the hole and end up with a loose pin.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences on this? FYI, the barrels in question are 410 and 416R stainless.

ETA: as a potential alternative, how does a gas block w/ set screws secured in the barrel dimples with Rocksett seem for a hard-use carbine?
    Last edited by crazymoose; 08-05-09 at 15:45.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    sounds a little ass backwards to me... i use a press to drill, and hand-ream only. hand reaming is by FAR the better option. Reaming is hard to screw up by hand- but if you aren't using highly calibrated CNC equipment, you could very easily **** up a machine ream.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    sounds a little ass backwards to me... i use a press to drill, and hand-ream only. hand reaming is by FAR the better option. Reaming is hard to screw up by hand- but if you aren't using highly calibrated CNC equipment, you could very easily **** up a machine ream.
    That's more or less what I was thinking- the jig will basically idiot-proof the drilling process, but I was concerned about the reaming, so slow and steady, checking for fit often, seems like the way to go.

My remaining concern is with whether or not it's easy to drill too hard and too fast, thereby generating sufficient heat to **** up the heat treatment. I guess slow is the way to go here, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymoose View Post
    That's more or less what I was thinking- the jig will basically idiot-proof the drilling process, but I was concerned about the reaming, so slow and steady, checking for fit often, seems like the way to go.

My remaining concern is with whether or not it's easy to drill too hard and too fast, thereby generating sufficient heat to **** up the heat treatment. I guess slow is the way to go here, too.
    Between the cost of the jig and the correct drill bits and given the fact that you do not own a drill press, as well as the risk of ruining the barrel and FSB I would highly suggest you just bite the bullet and send it in to ADCO for the work. I have had Steve do work for me in the past and I have always been more than pleased with the results.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

definately, slow is the way to go. you won't exactly **** up the heat-treatment, but you're on the right line of thinking: what happens is you work-harden the area you're trying to drill if you go too fast, making it harder and harder to drill the farther you go.

start with a cobalt center drill, then use a colbalt spiral drill, use a GOOD press with no lead-out, run no faster than 1100rpm, and lubricate well. work in bites- not constant pressure... drop the drill, lift, drop, lift, drop, removing only a couple thousandths each drop.

i havent seen the jig you speak of- does it secure the FSB during drilling? keeping the FSB from moving during drilling is the hardest part.

also, you're gonna find it difficult to find a 2/0 reamer- i haven't yet been able to find any online. I got mine from a local shop that just happened to have a few way back on the shelf from 30 years ago.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    definately, slow is the way to go. you won't exactly **** up the heat-treatment, but you're on the right line of thinking: what happens is you work-harden the area you're trying to drill if you go too fast, making it harder and harder to drill the farther you go.

start with a cobalt center drill, then use a colbalt spiral drill, use a GOOD press with no lead-out, run no faster than 1100rpm, and lubricate well. work in bites- not constant pressure... drop the drill, lift, drop, lift, drop, removing only a couple thousandths each drop.

i havent seen the jig you speak of- does it secure the FSB during drilling? keeping the FSB from moving during drilling is the hardest part.

also, you're gonna find it difficult to find a 2/0 reamer- i haven't yet been able to find any online. I got mine from a local shop that just happened to have a few way back on the shelf from 30 years ago.
    This is the jig: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1398

And I was thinking of getting the reamer from these guys: http://www.mcmaster.com/#2990a46/=327muy

I don't have access to a press, but the jig looks like it would control the drill angle when secured in a vise. I like to "roll my own" to the greatest possible extent, but I will probably just end up going the ADCO route. I've had good luck with them in the past, the turnaround time is good, and the prices are pretty reasonable.
    Last edited by crazymoose; 08-05-09 at 17:48.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is the jig: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1398

And I was thinking of getting the reamer from these guys: http://www.mcmaster.com/#2990a46/=327muy

I don't have access to a press, but the jig looks like it would control the drill angle when secured in a vise. I like to "roll my own" to the greatest possible extent, but I will probably just end up going the ADCO route. I've had good luck with them in the past, the turnaround time is good, and the prices are pretty reasonable.
    oooohhhhh.. i thought we were talkin FSBs. lowpro gas blocks dont need nearly the effort to install, but the same drilling technique applies. you could probably get away with using a drill gun, but its definately not preferable. no matter how straight you keep it, you're gonna have leadout.. i'd be concerned with ****ing up the jig more than anything.

dunno.. the inventor of that jig is a member here- comp1911.. you should ask him what he thinks.

Feedback Score
    I just got done putting an FSB on my rifle. Had to drill the holes and ream them out. I'm lucky, as my family owns a machine shop. Eithier way, if you're looking for reamers, midway USA sells them on their website, a little hard to find, but they are only 14 dollars.

Dan

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    oooohhhhh.. i thought we were talkin FSBs. lowpro gas blocks dont need nearly the effort to install, but the same drilling technique applies. you could probably get away with using a drill gun, but its definately not preferable. no matter how straight you keep it, you're gonna have leadout.. i'd be concerned with ****ing up the jig more than anything.

dunno.. the inventor of that jig is a member here- comp1911.. you should ask him what he thinks.
    I totally agree here. Even if your good at this type of stuff, which your probably not or you would not be writing a thread asking. I wouldn't attempt it with a hand drill. If you have the drill just a hair cocked you run the risk of ruining everything even the jig. If you don't have a press and a good barrel vise etc, your just taking a fools chance that could cost you more money. On the other hand if you have a good barrel vise and you have $200.00 to buy a Drill Press I'd go for it. Add oil to keep the heat down.

Do the math. To pay a professional to do it what is the total cost with shipping both ways. Vs a Jig and a Drill press and a Drill bit. Personally I'd so it myself, but that having a Press that was my Dad's that came from a Out of Business sheet metal Fabricators. So it's got all the bells and Whistles.

Good luck. Not trying to offend you.

Feedback Score
    I've never tried it with a hand drill but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Just take your time.