Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Fighting Rifle" trigger input needed

Feedback Score
    I have no reason to fool with a 2 stage trigger...
    I had a very light trigger on my tikka t3 .300 win mag and it was great for accurate supported shooting but not for a stressfull combative situation. Far too many chances to phuck up as stated above....

On my AR I run a standard trigger with a wold heavy hammer spring and a reduced power trigger and disconnect spring... its crisp and clean and serves me well... I did think about using the low mass hammer but it was not in stock at the time I built my lower...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntinhusaybah View Post
    I wouldn't want to run one due to the chance of a ND, those triggers are light, and very sensitive. First time I picked up a NM M16A2 I blasted a round into freaking space, big time embarrasing, but happens on a range. Do that in a combat/life or death and the consequences become much worse.

And genrally speaking, they're designed for NM courses of fire, not high round counts and combat style shooting. A talented gunsmith can make a standard trigger into a beautiful thing without making it unreliable/unsafe
    This is a training issue. If your finger is not on the trigger the weapon will not go bang regardless of rather its a 2.5 pound trigger or a 10 pound one. I use Geisseles on my game guns and on my patrol rifle. They are tough enough.
    Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 08-24-09 at 18:59.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    This is a training issue. If your finger is not on the trigger the weapon will not go bang regardless of rather its a 2.5 pound trigger or a 10 pound one.
    Agreed. If you don't violate the "four rules", your weapon won't go bang until you are ready to make it go bang. An over whelming cause of NDs are fingers on the damn trigger when it should have been straight and outside the trigger well.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntinhusaybah View Post
    I wouldn't want to run one due to the chance of a ND, those triggers are light, and very sensitive. First time I picked up a NM M16A2 I blasted a round into freaking space, big time embarrasing, but happens on a range. Do that in a combat/life or death and the consequences become much worse.

And genrally speaking, they're designed for NM courses of fire, not high round counts and combat style shooting. A talented gunsmith can make a standard trigger into a beautiful thing without making it unreliable/unsafe
    A National Match trigger MUST pick up 4.5 pounds.

M1s have two-stage triggers. M14s have two-stage triggers.

AKs have 2-stage triggers.

How heavy does a trigger have to be?
    Last edited by sinister; 08-29-09 at 19:34.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A CMP-legal two stage trigger is anything but light. Its total pull weight has to be at least 4.5 lbs and most out of the box two stage triggers run at least a pound more.

Everyone seems to have no trouble fighting with a 5 lb trigger on a Glock, but a 5 lb two stage trigger on a rifle is hell waiting to happen. GMAFB

I'm using a two-stage RRA in my carbine. I took it off my CMP service rifle when I bought a Geissele for it. It had well over 5K rounds when it went into the carbine and has since made it through two two-day classes and lots of matches and drills. Probably nearing the 7000 round mark by now without a single problem.

I guess that's the difference between first hand knowledge and third hand knowledge from a friend of a friend who heard something from someone else at a training class.

ETA: Those who feel more qualified than Sinister to pontificate on this feel free to lay out your qualifications for us to see.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-29-09 at 19:00.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

Everyone seems to have no trouble fighting with a 5 lb trigger on a Glock, but a 5 lb two stage trigger on a rifle is hell waiting to happen. GMAFB
    What is acceptable on a service pistol designed to be shot generally inside of 25 yards is entirely different than what is acceptable for a fighting carbine that maybe needed to engage targets as far as 600 yards. Apples to oranges comparision. What is good on a sniper rifle is not necessarily good on a pocket pistol.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    What is acceptable on a service pistol designed to be shot generally inside of 25 yards is entirely different than what is acceptable for a fighting carbine that maybe needed to engage targets as far as 600 yards. Apples to oranges comparision. What is good on a sniper rifle is not necessarily good on a pocket pistol.
    Pat
    You misssed the point by a mile.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I like the Bill Springfield trigger in my LMT. Crisp 4lbs break and reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12