Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Fighting Rifle" trigger input needed

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

"Fighting Rifle" trigger input needed

I have heard/ read many times not to use a match type trigger in a "fighting rifle". Besides an actual mechanical malfunction/failure what are some other reasons? Or is it mainly reliability concerns?

The only info I've found so far is mechanical probs but not much else. Any input would be much appreciated!!

Feedback Score

Not much experience but....

I don't have a lot of experience with match 2 stage triggers but most of my research here and other forums leads me to believe it is all due to reliability.

With a game gun, if it breaks in a match, you don't take home a trophy. With a truly defensive/offensive gun, you don't go home.

Not worth the chance of my children growing up without me!
    Last edited by LA Sig; 08-07-09 at 03:44. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    reliability and safety- you don't want a fragile and light trigger on a combat weapon. malfunction risk goes up, negligient-discharge risk goes up, and weapon-stoppage risk goes up, and they all go up independently of each other.

fightin guns should have stock service triggers between 6-8lbs, in my opinion, and closer to 8 than 6.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 08-07-09 at 04:03.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Combat triggers

A well-tuned M16A1 single-stage trigger is a joy to shoot accurately and quickly.

The standard 3-round burst trigger sucks ass due to the separate disconnectors and cams.

The Geissele Super Select Fire and Super Semi-Automatic triggers enhance a good shooter's combat hit potential.

You won't be able to tell much difference in the performance of a soldier trained en masse using the Army's standard shake-and-bake Program of Instruction (designed for those off the street who have never handled a firearm).

A trained rifleman/marksman will be able to make that weapon dance.

It ain't the weapon -- it's the talent of the marksman pointing it. A good trigger, good sights (or optic), and good ammo will make a huge difference to a trained rifleman.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For those who run a Colt, the low mass hammer and blue hammer spring sold at S.A.W are a great factory option that I have found to be very reliable. I have many thousand rounds through mine with no issues. Perfect trigger pull IMHO.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't want to run one due to the chance of a ND, those triggers are light, and very sensitive. First time I picked up a NM M16A2 I blasted a round into freaking space, big time embarrasing, but happens on a range. Do that in a combat/life or death and the consequences become much worse.

And genrally speaking, they're designed for NM courses of fire, not high round counts and combat style shooting. A talented gunsmith can make a standard trigger into a beautiful thing without making it unreliable/unsafe
    Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way. We become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions-Aristotle

The wise man sees in the misfortune of others what he should avoid-Marcus Aurelius

For these things give thanks at nightfall:
    The day gone, a guttered torch,
    A sword tested, the troth of a maid,
    Ice crossed, ale drunk- Havamal

Feedback Score
    Looking back on it now, my Armalite came with one of those two stage triggers, perhaps that's why I disliked it. And it failed to feed,extract, reliably within the first 300-400rds. I sold it to a friend. I guess being ex-Army, I'm partial to the feel of a fighting rifles trigger.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The standard GI trigger.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootiewho View Post
    For those who run a Colt, the low mass hammer and blue hammer spring sold at S.A.W are a great factory option that I have found to be very reliable. I have many thousand rounds through mine with no issues. Perfect trigger pull IMHO.
    S.A.W.?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    S.A.W.?
    Specialized Armament Warehouse, they carry a lot of Colt parts.

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast