Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awhile ago I found a YouTube video a guy did where he showed you how to "weatherproof" your handheld antenna using electrical tape and for the life of me I can not find it again. Any of you guys that know what I'm talking about or have seen it could you point me in the right direction for it please.

I don't read script, script reads me.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Not familiar with the video, but here is a method I use:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...na-Connections

Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    Awhile ago I found a YouTube video a guy did where he showed you how to "weatherproof" your handheld antenna using electrical tape and for the life of me I can not find it again. Any of you guys that know what I'm talking about or have seen it could you point me in the right direction for it please.

Feedback Score
    I have some UV-5Rs. They are pretty much basic, bottom dollar programmable comms that can operate on a wide array of frequencies with decent power (unlike FRS/GMRS-only radios like you buy at wal mart), and should satisfy most users' squad level comms needs. They allow for very rudimentary frequency jumping/encryption, but no one should have any illusions about them being secure against a sophisticated opponent, as in some foreseeable 2A situations. For the majority of situations and anticipated opponents, they should work fine. Also they are cheap, and you can afford to stock up on them.

If you want true encrypted comms, Motorolla makes one... but it is pricey.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The Puxing PX-888k radios allow for voice inversion, which can be decoded by a well-equipped eavesdropper, but your average scanner dork won't be decoding.

Digital operation (DMR/MotoTRBO, System Fusion, D-Star, etc.) is inherently more secure; however much more complicated in use and more costly.

There are low-tech solutions for secure comms, but that is a topic unto itself...

Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    I have some UV-5Rs. They are pretty much basic, bottom dollar programmable comms that can operate on a wide array of frequencies with decent power (unlike FRS/GMRS-only radios like you buy at wal mart), and should satisfy most users' squad level comms needs. They allow for very rudimentary frequency jumping/encryption, but no one should have any illusions about them being secure against a sophisticated opponent, as in some foreseeable 2A situations. For the majority of situations and anticipated opponents, they should work fine. Also they are cheap, and you can afford to stock up on them.

If you want true encrypted comms, Motorolla makes one... but it is pricey.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Big fan of this thread.

This video may be helpful for those that want to buy a couple of Baofeng UV-5R and set them and forget them on GMRS and FRS. Not a solution for the larger questions of the thread but may be helpful for those looking for a quick fix to comms in a bug out bag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Not familiar with the video, but here is a method I use:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...na-Connections
    HAHAHAHAHA That was actually it. So it wasn't a video but your post instead. Thank you Sir.

I don't read script, script reads me.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    No problem, mah brotha.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrobbierob View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA That was actually it. So it wasn't a video but your post instead. Thank you Sir.

Feedback Score
    @Outlander Systems,

Thanks for keeping this topic alive, you have provided very valuable information. I would like to know what would be a really good radio that you recommend besides the baofeng, I would like my main radio to be a good one and rather have several baofengs to throw away if anything.

Thanks
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely, man. It's definitely something I'm interested in, and not a day goes by that I don't learn something new.

As for what radio to get, well, that depends on whether you want a handheld, a mobile, or a base.

Radios are like firearms, in a way, in that the "mission" drives the gear.

For me, standardization is almost as important as the radios themselves. For example, I have one buddy that is big on DMR radios, and another who is all-in on System Fusion (these are two different digital standards that will not work between each other.) Just to add to the confusion, the hams in my area are predominantly using D-Star, which is yet another digital standard.

Let me know what your goals are, and I'll offer up some options for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelowrey View Post
    @Outlander Systems,

Thanks for keeping this topic alive, you have provided very valuable information. I would like to know what would be a really good radio that you recommend besides the baofeng, I would like my main radio to be a good one and rather have several baofengs to throw away if anything.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Well, I would say I'll take a recommendation on each category of them, since am already looking for good radios. For a bad I never found a good option. But for the mobile I read a while back that most people recommend the kenwood tm-281 (hopefully this is till a good one) but for the handheld like you said there is so many options and standards that I am honestly confused. I am looking for something that would work with most radio and the main interest in Ham. Thank you again.

Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast