Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most dmr radios require something as an ID to even program.

Most codeplugs put a dummy number in that you replace with your own.

The DMR ID is actually hashed into an ip address and use for the digital protocols by the radios.

If you wanted to illegally run simplex on gmrs frequency or similar you could just make up different IDs for all the radios in your group.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No, I'm just talking about simplex within the 2m or 70cm band, digitally rather than analog. Doesn't matter what the ID number is in the radio, can be same, or nothing at all. In my experience with TYT radios, a radio ID number isnt necessary to set up a code plug, only necessary to be transmitted when talking to DMR repeaters.

Two of my radios can talk to each other just fine, regardless of ID number.....as long as color code, time slot and TG match, which can be whatever you want. Most folks use TG99 for simplex, but it can be anything at all.

Those 3 variables basically serve as PL tones.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm going to agree, if you only want to use about 10% of DMR capability.

But nearly all CPS require some number as an id. You can't leave it blank. DMR has to have something there even if it's just a made-up number.

Your simplex scenario works because you are essentially making a group call. The individual dmr ID does not matter as long as there is one. (But it's a bit silly to use DMR this way, you might as well just use much cheaper narrow band FM radios as you're really not using any of dmr's capabilities)

But bottom line we are agreeing, you can operate dmr without a centralized DMR registry.

That said, to take advantage of dmr's more advanced capabilities (private calls, data, texting, gps, etc) you need unique IDs and the ham radio registry is one way to guarantee that. It's really a non-issue, you sign up for one and once is issued to you. You can get a second one just as easily if needed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well yeah, it's ridiculously easy to get.

I talk on DMR repeaters alot. Very useful.

Neat thing about using digital for simplex is, half the folks out there only have analog, so they won't hear you.

These radios are also capable of encryption, legal of course if you have a business itinerant license.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Installed the Yaesu FTM-300DR in the Jeep this week. Really happy with the purchase on this one.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Anyone know where to buy decent PTTs? I need a NATO 6 pin for work because I’m tired of using the giant Peltor ones. Seems like the normal TEA and Atlantic Signal only go through distributors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Even if the FCC declared all variations of encryption legal for Civvy cake-eater use tomorrow, the agencies have all the decryption tools and would be monitoring 24x7 just like the cellular network. The language of the law would make it illegal to develop/deploy encryption algos that the gubermint does not have the backdoor to - rinse, lather, repeat.

Privacy is a long lost fallacy, automation and BI/Analytics/Data Science ensure it will be put in the trash heap of human history fairly soon on a global scale.

Digital is cool, but allow tracking/spying with much less effort by agencies with the tools than their older analog counterparts.
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 09-17-21 at 05:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Anyone know where to buy decent PTTs? I need a NATO 6 pin for work because I’m tired of using the giant Peltor ones. Seems like the normal TEA and Atlantic Signal only go through distributors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.disco32.com/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Thanks, that PTT doesn't look like the button is at all shrouded though. Any experience with it? I'd worry about hot mic'ing. The Atlantic Signal SF looks ideal.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They have a variety of different types, I think.

No personal experience with their products, but have read of several folks here and elsewhere who're using their kit to great satisfaction. Never heard anything bad about them either, really.

I'm just using hand mics hooked into ear pro, but if I needed any of these types of adapters, etc., this is the site where I'd go.

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364