Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Most of the guys I know who do fusion that I know really like it. That yaesu also gets good reports.

There's a little bit of fusion activity in our area but most of the activity is on DMR. Plain FM repeaters are ghost towns, just announcing the time every hour like glorified alarm clocks.

DMR is my favorite, and the Anytone 578 Pro III "triband" rig is the new sweet spot. I have older DMR radios including some Motorola's so I'm a bit old school.

But if most your activity is going to be FM you probably be better off getting one of the ham focused radios even though the any tone is a lot easier to use than previous DMR rigs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    There are actually a lot of fusion repeaters around me (not Wires-X, though). Still, I'm not sure how useful it is
    Caveat: I like robust tools, I'm a utilitarian. Not a hobbyist or comm fiddlefart.

It all depends on who you want to talk to and what you want to do.

TNC is nice if you frequently use APRS/packet, but a Signalink/Mobilinkd module can provide similar function on a wide variety of radios vs a single radio.

If I was buying into digital I would want some type of say, secure comm capability, that amateur radios do not have as a native feature. It is worth the learning curve but I want to program multiple radio images to upload at will and no fiddlefarting with it after that.

Feedback Score
    I have access to a few Silvus 4200 radios, 1W (don't know how to reprogram to 4W, but no licenseso no matter). Is this an acceptable option for comms with my family?

I'm not able to figure out how to get a cost effective option for a head set or ptt, AND get it to connect to this unit. thoughts?

NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    Seems this thread is dead. Too bad, great info here.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fn/Form View Post
    Caveat: I like robust tools, I'm a utilitarian. Not a hobbyist or comm fiddlefart.

It all depends on who you want to talk to and what you want to do.

TNC is nice if you frequently use APRS/packet, but a Signalink/Mobilinkd module can provide similar function on a wide variety of radios vs a single radio.

If I was buying into digital I would want some type of say, secure comm capability, that amateur radios do not have as a native feature. It is worth the learning curve but I want to program multiple radio images to upload at will and no fiddlefarting with it after that.
    Plenty of digital radios out there now that contain encryption capability.

DMR is big where I'm at, and I think it's taking over in many areas, with good reason.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    To preface, I am not a HAM but I have one on my crew that I've been working with. My understanding with DMR is that each radio has to have a DMR registration that is connected to a HAM license.

https://radioid.net/register#!

This is as opposed to Baofengs and the like that can be programmed by hand or by Chirp at home. Please let me know if this is correct or there is a workaround that I'm not finding.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    No, you can use DMRs without putting in the ID. What the ID does is let your log onto the digital repeater network that works like VOIP if you hit it. But without the repeater ID, you still have a good digital radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    No, you can use DMRs without putting in the ID. What the ID does is let your log onto the digital repeater network that works like VOIP if you hit it. But without the repeater ID, you still have a good digital radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Gotcha, thanks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well technically all DMR radios need an ID number... It just does not have to be "registered".

But it must have an ID number of some form and it should be unique on that network for things to work right.

All the registry does is ensure uniqueness and enable a lookup of call sign information and similar from the ID to display on the radio for convenience.

The DMR registry is free for ham callsigns, though some places do except donations.

Since most ham DMR repeaters are networked it becomes more critical that the IDs are unique. Tens of thousands of DMR users may be active on a network at any given time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, most, if not all DMR repeaters are set up so that you can't get into them without transmitting aknown, valid ID.

But that has nothing to do with running simplex, or through your own cross band repeater if you had one set up.

Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast