Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yea a dedicated scanner that plugs into my MacBook or iPhone would probably work a lot better than running the Uv9r on the local frequencies. Can you recommend any hardware or apps? I think it is super useful to keep your situational awareness up in your AO.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have RTL, SDRPlay, etc, but greatly prefer a separate scanner. Even easier if it's one that can download databases if hooked thru computer or wifi.

Mine is an older Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-107 but the higher end Unidens have internet database connectivity.

I cut my teeth on GRE PSR-500 and -600, manual programming. These days I'd smash the Easy Button with a Uniden. Especially with the China trade/politics on the horizon.

I've ordered some extra headlamps, favorite EDC flashlights, another NanoVNA, batteries, etc.

Anyone who has been keeping up with Pastor Dana Coverstone's given dreams knows the US is in for some big stuff very soon. BIG.

I don't think it's wise to be near a city, but might be nice to have a digital scanner if I was. Of course the powers-that-be could always turn on the encryption...

I've had a lot of stuff, including commercial P25 radios, and there's a lot of high-tech doodads that entice me... but I've been keeping it simple these days. Rather have money in multiple mono band, all weather radios than Baofengs, Unidens and such. #poorboy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fn/Form View Post
    I have RTL, SDRPlay, etc, but greatly prefer a separate scanner. Even easier if it's one that can download databases if hooked thru computer or wifi.

Mine is an older Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-107 but the higher end Unidens have internet database connectivity.

....These days I'd smash the Easy Button with a Uniden. ...
    The problem with a separate digital scanner is that they start at $400. That's just a little too rich for my blood. Unfortunately I live near a major metro area. I own land 4 hours out side of town but its pretty dilapidated and needs a lot of work to be livable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hear you.

I'm not sure if the following is Apple compatible at all:

Last I heard there was still a program or SDR software plugin that used two RTL dongles, one monitoring control channels and the other monitoring the chosen channels.

I thought they were getting the AirSpy SDR on that as well. And it might be for P25 Phase I systems only. It's been awhile since I looked.

Look for Unitrunker, SDRTrunk.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could explain how DMR works real quickly?

I understand that you have to pick a frequency and a time slot; what I don't understand is that once you have your time slot and freq picked how a party, group, or private calls work? Is it kinda like analogue VHF where with the DCTSS tones, you can only hear the other person with the same tone, but everyone in the time slot can hear you if they are set to party? Can anyone set up their own group call for their personal network of friends? How private or secure is talking on DMR in the group or private calls? If I understand it correctly on DMR you are much less likely to have an 'outsider' jump into the convo, but that doesn't mean with the right software anyone can be monitoring even your own group or private calls because it is on the same freq and time slot?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unless you turn on encryption (illegal for hams) anyone on the timeslot could hear your comm by turning on monitor/promiscuous mode.

On the local repeater or simplex freq anyway. Talkgroups networked between repeaters work a bit differently.

Its still radio. Unless you illegally use encryption, people can snoop.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Let's talk Comms.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Unless you turn on encryption (illegal for hams) anyone on the timeslot could hear your comm by turning on monitor/promiscuous mode.

On the local repeater or simplex freq anyway. Talkgroups networked between repeaters work a bit differently.

Its still radio. Unless you illegally use encryption, people can snoop.
    Which highlights a shining example of something being deemed illegal for the citizenry by the government that is of the upmost utility and benefit to said citizenry.

AES is bougie, and Motorola is absolutely more HK than HK is in terms of their hatred towards non gov end users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 10-17-20 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That comment about Motorola out HK'ing HK made me laugh pretty good.

Im just trying to understand how private or secure the comms really are. Anything hefty should be saved for pro words, but its good not to be naive about who could be listening.

So what about private chat through a repeater? Like if Im talking to my buddy the next state over? How private is that?

Also is there any benefit to a DMR radio over an analog in a LOS/HT only situation? Like no repeater just you talking to your buddy across the valley at 1W-5W?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    DMR has about a 3db advantage over regular FM. Which is effectively like doubling your power or antenna gain.

In the real world you won't see a doubling of distance due to line of sight. But in flat terrain running simplex it's a noticeable difference.

As to rights, radio is an shared asset. If the existing regulations for ham radio didn't exist there would not be any ham radio, as every taxi and Mom and Pop business would have just bought Ham radios to use it. How do you know Joe's sewer is not doing business using ham radio? You're able to monitor it.

There is nothing that stops you from getting an appropriate license where you can run encrypted radios between you and your buddies. But it won't be ham radio it'll be something else.

This is kind of like an expectation that there should be no traffic laws requiring you to stay in Lanes, have brake lights etc. So you could argue about speeding or such but in general traffic works better because of it is regulated.

Or like being upset that national parks have restrictions on the activities you can do. Playing frisbee in a meadow is probably an unreasonable thing to restrict. But unregulated / uncontrolled logging or game harvest would destroy the asset.

As much as we may not like regulation, "spoiling of the commons" is a real dynamic. It's a shared asset. In the privacy of my home or on my own land, that something completely different.

I am an encryption advocate for much communication and know how to use it on my radios. If the time ever comes that rule of law falls and I need to use it I will. Until then, I really don't care if someone can understand what my buddy and I are talking about on a repeater. Which by the way was paid for by a club most likely, who is tasked by law with operating it within regs and ensuring no illegal activities occur.

By the way, Motorola will give you great consumer service to customers who are willing to pay their price for their intellectual property. They invented certain technology which has been widely copied/cloned. So as part of their business model they enforce their IP. Even if we think they're jerks about some aspects of it.

They also sell/sold billions of dollars of consumer stuff. They definitely have a consumer/pro differentiated market with substantially different capabilities, construction, etc. Comparing a pro Motorola handheld with a consumer handheld is even more of a difference than an h&k rifle versus a parts is parts generic one.

The pro grade radio has capabilities the consumer ones don't. Pay to play.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    To your private chat question, in general DMR talk groups are like subaudible tone squelch.

The radio is configured to ignore traffic on other talk groups. But is capable of receiving it if digital monitor is turned on.

So even "private chat" on DMR could trivially be monitored.

A DMR "private message" text the private part just pertains to whether it's sent to an individual or a group.

DMR is a very effective technology and there is some very good inexpensive radios. I use them daily for ham and gmrs. Mostly Chinese but I do have a moto XPR that I got cheap which I love. So in that aspect Moto is like h&k... Better build quality, much more refined software. Just operates more smoothly and crisply.

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast