Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: Intro to Radio Communications

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    DMR has about a 3db advantage over regular FM. Which is effectively like doubling your power or antenna gain.

In the real world you won't see a doubling of distance due to line of sight. But in flat terrain running simplex it's a noticeable difference.

As to rights, radio is an shared asset. If the existing regulations for ham radio didn't exist there would not be any ham radio, as every taxi and Mom and Pop business would have just bought Ham radios to use it. How do you know Joe's sewer is not doing business using ham radio? You're able to monitor it.

There is nothing that stops you from getting an appropriate license where you can run encrypted radios between you and your buddies. But it won't be ham radio it'll be something else.

This is kind of like an expectation that there should be no traffic laws requiring you to stay in Lanes, have brake lights etc. So you could argue about speeding or such but in general traffic works better because of it is regulated.

Or like being upset that national parks have restrictions on the activities you can do. Playing frisbee in a meadow is probably an unreasonable thing to restrict. But unregulated / uncontrolled logging or game harvest would destroy the asset.

As much as we may not like regulation, "spoiling of the commons" is a real dynamic. It's a shared asset. In the privacy of my home or on my own land, that something completely different.

I am an encryption advocate for much communication and know how to use it on my radios. If the time ever comes that rule of law falls and I need to use it I will. Until then, I really don't care if someone can understand what my buddy and I are talking about on a repeater. Which by the way was paid for by a club most likely, who is tasked by law with operating it within regs and ensuring no illegal activities occur.

By the way, Motorola will give you great consumer service to customers who are willing to pay their price for their intellectual property. They invented certain technology which has been widely copied/cloned. So as part of their business model they enforce their IP. Even if we think they're jerks about some aspects of it.

They also sell/sold billions of dollars of consumer stuff. They definitely have a consumer/pro differentiated market with substantially different capabilities, construction, etc. Comparing a pro Motorola handheld with a consumer handheld is even more of a difference than an h&k rifle versus a parts is parts generic one.

The pro grade radio has capabilities the consumer ones don't. Pay to play.
    Right, but here’s the thing. Either we advocate for the inclusion of all relevant personal defense liberty securing related mediums, widgets, tech et al or we the public relegate ourselves to being satisfied with the base level of “armaments”.

Obviously no one here on M4C that the 2A only applies to black powder muskets with respect to small arms and unfortunately we have a hard enough time convincing individuals of the utility of FA, Suppressors, DDs, etc let alone the equivalency of NV, thermal, Armor, or lasers, the latter of which is heavily regulated as we all know. Separate regulatory frameworks of course exist to curtail public ownership and usage that have forever been excluded from civil liberty discussions because let’s be real the FDA doesn’t give a damn about our rights, and never will unless forced to. I love to kick TNVC in the balls and if you follow on over at TOS they even publicly stated they haven’t done much of anything to try and influence industry opinion and that the market should just be happy they brought civ powered MAWLs out for consumption because “use what they use”

Point is comms shouldn’t be treated any differently and should be included in the conversation like anything else.

The government as an entity hates the BoR because it constrains enforcement and regulatory action. Let’s be real if the FCC hates HAM and civilian radio usage because if they had their way they’d sell out the ENTIRE spectrum to the telecom super conglomerates and tell the public to pound sand, conglomerates of which by the way include the likes of Motorola so they can absolutely go stick a rusty fork in their eye and die from tetanus.

In the end comms and and comm gear should be treated the same as small arms and promoted as equally important.

#minisoapboxmoment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Right, but here’s the thing. Either we advocate for the inclusion of all relevant personal defense liberty securing related mediums, widgets, tech et al or we the public relegate ourselves to being satisfied with the base level of “armaments”.

Obviously no one here on M4C that the 2A only applies to black powder muskets with respect to small arms and unfortunately we have a hard enough time convincing individuals of the utility of FA, Suppressors, DDs, etc let alone the equivalency of NV, thermal, Armor, or lasers, the latter of which is heavily regulated as we all know. Separate regulatory frameworks of course exist to curtail public ownership and usage that have forever been excluded from civil liberty discussions because let’s be real the FDA doesn’t give a damn about our rights, and never will unless forced to. I love to kick TNVC in the balls and if you follow on over at TOS they even publicly stated they haven’t done much of anything to try and influence industry opinion and that the market should just be happy they brought civ powered MAWLs out for consumption because “use what they use”

Point is comms shouldn’t be treated any differently and should be included in the conversation like anything else.

The government as an entity hates the BoR because it constrains enforcement and regulatory action. Let’s be real if the FCC hates HAM and civilian radio usage because if they had their way they’d sell out the ENTIRE spectrum to the telecom super conglomerates and tell the public to pound sand, conglomerates of which by the way include the likes of Motorola so they can absolutely go stick a rusty fork in their eye and die from tetanus.

In the end comms and and comm gear should be treated the same as small arms and promoted as equally important.

#minisoapboxmoment

You rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Theres such great posts in this thread.

On one side I agree with JP that the 2A needs to start being extended beyond centerfires rifles. But I also see how too much unregulated traffic on the air waves could become a nightmare with the proliferation of cheap and powerful radios.

@Pinzgauer - check your DM's.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Theres such great posts in this thread.

On one side I agree with JP that the 2A needs to start being extended beyond centerfires rifles. But I also see how too much unregulated traffic on the air waves could become a nightmare with the proliferation of cheap and powerful radios.

@Pinzgauer - check your DM's.
    Because there’s already an abundance of folks throwing up towers in their backyard and dumping 100 watts onto their local PDs p25 network?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Because there’s already an abundance of folks throwing up towers in their backyard and dumping 100 watts onto their local PDs p25 network?

Because there are cities full of wackers "programming" by spoofing affiliated IDs with much worse potential than 100W pirates.

Preaching to the choir, pastor. Turn around and hit the streets with all that energy.

But you don't and won't. It's OK. It's too late to do something about it anyway.

Do what you gotta for the boog and keep your 100W diatribe to your dummy load. Thread S/N ratio and all that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Oh I'm not saying that there are. And laws won't stop someone like that anyways. In my own very minuscule experience in the woods near towns, using GMRS channels we would get interference and cross channel traffic. Im just assuming that would extrapolate like crazy if there wasn't SOME guidelines for how and why to use a frequency. Dude Im 100% on your team though about civilian encryption.

After I saw this video it got me thinking on a whole new plane as far as the battle space and tech goes:

https://youtu.be/Sy1o2Wwwnb4
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Just started getting into comms for SHTF and anything else that might happen. Have a couple cheap uv5rs-82s

Planning on building a budget solar powered simplex repeater with an ammo box, similar to what this guy has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfEIBd-l6MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aef-pjA_hG0

Feedback Score
    I'm planning to add a mobile unit to an upcoming vehicle (2021 4runner), and I'm a bit torn between the new Yaesu FTM-300DR and the well-known Kenwood TM-D710G.

Both are dual-band 50w radios. The key difference is that the Kenwood is an APRS monster with built-in hardware TNC for packet radio usage down the line (should I want to try), but it doesn't have digital.

The FTM-300DR has good APRS capability, but no hardware TNC. It has a lot of digital capability, though, and has access to C4FM, Fusion, and Wires-X.

Still being relatively new to all of this, am I more likely to "miss" the digital capability is I got the Kenwood or the APRS & TNC if I got the Yaesu?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    BrigandTwoFour, look around RepeaterBook for C4FM, Fusion, and Wires-X repeaters near you. I’ve been looking for which mobile dual band radio to get too and basically there are none near me that I’d take advantage of so it’s a low value capability unless you can use it.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    There are actually a lot of fusion repeaters around me (not Wires-X, though). Still, I'm not sure how useful it is
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast