Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Let's talk Comms.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well technically all DMR radios need an ID number... It just does not have to be "registered".

But it must have an ID number of some form and it should be unique on that network for things to work right.

All the registry does is ensure uniqueness and enable a lookup of call sign information and similar from the ID to display on the radio for convenience.

The DMR registry is free for ham callsigns, though some places do except donations.

Since most ham DMR repeaters are networked it becomes more critical that the IDs are unique. Tens of thousands of DMR users may be active on a network at any given time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, most, if not all DMR repeaters are set up so that you can't get into them without transmitting aknown, valid ID.

But that has nothing to do with running simplex, or through your own cross band repeater if you had one set up.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Most dmr radios require something as an ID to even program.

Most codeplugs put a dummy number in that you replace with your own.

The DMR ID is actually hashed into an ip address and use for the digital protocols by the radios.

If you wanted to illegally run simplex on gmrs frequency or similar you could just make up different IDs for all the radios in your group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, I'm just talking about simplex within the 2m or 70cm band, digitally rather than analog. Doesn't matter what the ID number is in the radio, can be same, or nothing at all. In my experience with TYT radios, a radio ID number isnt necessary to set up a code plug, only necessary to be transmitted when talking to DMR repeaters.

Two of my radios can talk to each other just fine, regardless of ID number.....as long as color code, time slot and TG match, which can be whatever you want. Most folks use TG99 for simplex, but it can be anything at all.

Those 3 variables basically serve as PL tones.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm going to agree, if you only want to use about 10% of DMR capability.

But nearly all CPS require some number as an id. You can't leave it blank. DMR has to have something there even if it's just a made-up number.

Your simplex scenario works because you are essentially making a group call. The individual dmr ID does not matter as long as there is one. (But it's a bit silly to use DMR this way, you might as well just use much cheaper narrow band FM radios as you're really not using any of dmr's capabilities)

But bottom line we are agreeing, you can operate dmr without a centralized DMR registry.

That said, to take advantage of dmr's more advanced capabilities (private calls, data, texting, gps, etc) you need unique IDs and the ham radio registry is one way to guarantee that. It's really a non-issue, you sign up for one and once is issued to you. You can get a second one just as easily if needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well yeah, it's ridiculously easy to get.

I talk on DMR repeaters alot. Very useful.

Neat thing about using digital for simplex is, half the folks out there only have analog, so they won't hear you.

These radios are also capable of encryption, legal of course if you have a business itinerant license.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758