Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Comms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Around here 2m repeaters outnumber 70cm by a factor of 3 or more.

Outside of town in our wooded area we find 2m has a fairly significant distance advantage over 70cm given same power levels. A lot of people don't run high grade coax that makes the difference for fringe reception on more lossy (relative to 2m) 70cm. Even more pronounced when running 70-80W 2m radios.

However the guys on 70cm talk more freely - seems they think fewer people are listening! Which is true. We did a preparedness radio demo recently and the semi-rural radio traffic on 70cm about today's politics was raising some eyebrows haha It was awesome.

If the budget allows, and if your local digital traffic is not encrypted, you might enjoy a digital scanner more.

I like having a fast scanner running, especially the FRS/GMRS freqs. Back when I was university popo I would have an FRS/GMRS radio on the dash scanning, mostly for auto burglary lookouts.

I'm hoping to soon be far from any place where there's constant ham/public safety radio traffic though...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Add -

I have about 55 channels in the ham/serious use radios. Most of those are simplex freqs I scan.

I have an analog handheld scanner (RS/GRE) with 100s of air band, railroad, public safety analog backup channels, etc. So much faster scanner and, most important, separates govt traffic from serious personal traffic with flick of a switch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yea a dedicated scanner that plugs into my MacBook or iPhone would probably work a lot better than running the Uv9r on the local frequencies. Can you recommend any hardware or apps? I think it is super useful to keep your situational awareness up in your AO.
    "Just throw Krylon on it"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have RTL, SDRPlay, etc, but greatly prefer a separate scanner. Even easier if it's one that can download databases if hooked thru computer or wifi.

Mine is an older Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-107 but the higher end Unidens have internet database connectivity.

I cut my teeth on GRE PSR-500 and -600, manual programming. These days I'd smash the Easy Button with a Uniden. Especially with the China trade/politics on the horizon.

I've ordered some extra headlamps, favorite EDC flashlights, another NanoVNA, batteries, etc.

Anyone who has been keeping up with Pastor Dana Coverstone's given dreams knows the US is in for some big stuff very soon. BIG.

I don't think it's wise to be near a city, but might be nice to have a digital scanner if I was. Of course the powers-that-be could always turn on the encryption...

I've had a lot of stuff, including commercial P25 radios, and there's a lot of high-tech doodads that entice me... but I've been keeping it simple these days. Rather have money in multiple mono band, all weather radios than Baofengs, Unidens and such. #poorboy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fn/Form View Post
    I have RTL, SDRPlay, etc, but greatly prefer a separate scanner. Even easier if it's one that can download databases if hooked thru computer or wifi.

Mine is an older Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-107 but the higher end Unidens have internet database connectivity.

....These days I'd smash the Easy Button with a Uniden. ...
    The problem with a separate digital scanner is that they start at $400. That's just a little too rich for my blood. Unfortunately I live near a major metro area. I own land 4 hours out side of town but its pretty dilapidated and needs a lot of work to be livable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hear you.

I'm not sure if the following is Apple compatible at all:

Last I heard there was still a program or SDR software plugin that used two RTL dongles, one monitoring control channels and the other monitoring the chosen channels.

I thought they were getting the AirSpy SDR on that as well. And it might be for P25 Phase I systems only. It's been awhile since I looked.

Look for Unitrunker, SDRTrunk.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could explain how DMR works real quickly?

I understand that you have to pick a frequency and a time slot; what I don't understand is that once you have your time slot and freq picked how a party, group, or private calls work? Is it kinda like analogue VHF where with the DCTSS tones, you can only hear the other person with the same tone, but everyone in the time slot can hear you if they are set to party? Can anyone set up their own group call for their personal network of friends? How private or secure is talking on DMR in the group or private calls? If I understand it correctly on DMR you are much less likely to have an 'outsider' jump into the convo, but that doesn't mean with the right software anyone can be monitoring even your own group or private calls because it is on the same freq and time slot?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Unless you turn on encryption (illegal for hams) anyone on the timeslot could hear your comm by turning on monitor/promiscuous mode.

On the local repeater or simplex freq anyway. Talkgroups networked between repeaters work a bit differently.

Its still radio. Unless you illegally use encryption, people can snoop.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Let's talk Comms.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Unless you turn on encryption (illegal for hams) anyone on the timeslot could hear your comm by turning on monitor/promiscuous mode.

On the local repeater or simplex freq anyway. Talkgroups networked between repeaters work a bit differently.

Its still radio. Unless you illegally use encryption, people can snoop.
    Which highlights a shining example of something being deemed illegal for the citizenry by the government that is of the upmost utility and benefit to said citizenry.

AES is bougie, and Motorola is absolutely more HK than HK is in terms of their hatred towards non gov end users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 10-17-20 at 21:55.
    “Answer The Bell...” J.W.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That comment about Motorola out HK'ing HK made me laugh pretty good.

Im just trying to understand how private or secure the comms really are. Anything hefty should be saved for pro words, but its good not to be naive about who could be listening.

So what about private chat through a repeater? Like if Im talking to my buddy the next state over? How private is that?

Also is there any benefit to a DMR radio over an analog in a LOS/HT only situation? Like no repeater just you talking to your buddy across the valley at 1W-5W?

Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 54553545556 LastLast