Thread: "Stuff" in barrel- plastic fouling?

Feedback Score

"Stuff" in barrel- plastic fouling?

Hi all,

I was just my Remington 870 recently- while I've always been good about regular cleaning, this is the first time using my "improved method" (i.e., Otis kit) and this time I'm going over things with a fine-tooth comb. I noticed that inside the barrel near the chamber-end is some "stuff" that I can't seem to clean out. My guess is it's plastic fouling but I'm not sure. When I look through the barrel I can see kind of a matte area with some little bits of debris in there. Seems no matter how many times I run a brush & patch I can't get it out. Is this plastic fouling? I used some Remington brite-bore but it didn't seem to help much. Also tried un-chlorinated brake cleaner and acetone, and that didn't help much either. What is this stuff and should I not worry about trying to clean it out?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    Get a 10" dowel and wrap some very fine steel wool around the end and tie it off with a string to keep it from coming off. Chuck the rig in a drill and go in through the muzzle & the chamber. Keep it moving in & out and polish her up good.

GC
    Last edited by MAX100; 08-08-09 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
    Get a 10" dowel and wrap some very fine steel wool around the end and tie it off with a string to keep it from coming off. Chuck the rig in a drill and go in through the muzzle & the chamber. Keep it moving in & out and polish her up good.
    Why?

I would suggest shooting it more instead.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    +1 on max100 response its called burnishing the barrel.I did it to my 590 mossberg
    no more plastic wad fouling might add I did soak the steel wool in clp and hosed the inside of the bore with clp worked it from the breech to the muzzle crown very nice smoothed finish when done.

Might add that the plastic wad fouling you see is probably at the forcing cone.
    Brownells also sells a ball hone that you can use but the steel wool worked great for me.
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 08-08-09 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    Why? I would suggest shooting it more instead.
    With enough fouling in the barrel it will change your patterns, POI and grouping with slugs. I would only do it every 500 rounds or so.

GC
    Last edited by MAX100; 08-08-09 at 22:27.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Shooters Choice will remove plastic wad fouling.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.