Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pets and Evac.

Feedback Score
    When I think of disaster preparation, I often forget that you also have to have a plan for your pets. Is there a disaster preparedness checklist for pets? I think that by just having a disaster checklist handy, you won't really have to panic when something really does happen. Anyways, I'm really glad you mentioned pets because I wouldn't have a plan for them. Any suggestions or ideas would really help out! Thanks

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    My dogs would go with me.

There is also the companionship element a lot of people overlook. In a nasty situation "mans best friend" can be a boost to morale.

If it comes down to them being a real burden on my families survivability Id rather just put them down than to leave them somewhere to starve or become a liability to others. Lots of abandoned dogs running around quickly form packs, and can be a bigger situation to deal with.

Somehow people have kept dogs for a few thousand years in living conditions we view as SHTF...I think I can manage too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Most shelters do not allow animals. Lots of strays in NOLA after Katrina. If you plan on bugging out with an animal, don't figure a shelter into your plans. It is not as simple as saying I'm taking my _____ with me. Lots of people abandoned their animals after they reached a stopping location. You may be welcome somewhere, but not your animal.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Most shelters do not allow animals. Lots of strays in NOLA after Katrina. If you plan on bugging out with an animal, don't figure a shelter into your plans. It is not as simple as saying I'm taking my _____ with me. Lots of people abandoned their animals after they reached a stopping location. You may be welcome somewhere, but not your animal.
    In terms of standard disaster evacuation federal laws have been change to mandate evacuation of pets as many people also refused to leave their pets behind. Standards/Practices have changed quite a bit in the wake of Katrina.

It's certainly as simple as saying I'm taking my dogs with me. I'm more secure with them than without them.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    GJ- I 100% empathize with someone wanting to bring their pets. I'm not up to speed on the latest protocols for evacs. but even if the gov. says they are allowed to be transported, that doesn't mean the shelter, friend's house, hotel, etc. will allow the animal. As far as feeling more comfortable with your dogs around, most definitely.

I am mulling over the pros/cons of bringing an animal. The space an animal, and it's food, takes up could be used for family food. Can an animal be part of the family? Of course, just ask my cat. But if push comes to shove, the animal stays in favor of human supplies. I also wonder about what percentage of animals would actually be of any use; as in utilitarian(earn it's keep). Most dogs do not seem to be practical guard dogs or hunters. Are there exceptions? Yes. But it would be up to the individual to decide if their particular dog is a family friend, or actually has some use. I do not consider "good for the kids," or "comforting" as a legitimate reason to bring an animal along. This reasoning applies only to me.

On the flip side, I see where a good guard dog that can be aggressive, yet controllable(as in trained) would be invaluable.

I had friends that had to leave pets behind while evac'ing NOLA and it was heartbreaking. I bugged in and had supplies to last a month for the family and animal. The aftermath saw many, many animals left behind that began to roam the city and some became dangerous.

All I can really say is my opinion applies only to me. Each situation is different and the variables will dictate whether one really brings an animal along.

Hopefully none of us will ever even have to worry about it.
    Last edited by 6933; 12-03-09 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    In terms of standard disaster evacuation federal laws have been change to mandate evacuation of pets as many people also refused to leave their pets behind. Standards/Practices have changed quite a bit in the wake of Katrina. It's certainly as simple as saying I'm taking my dogs with me. I'm more secure with them than without them.
    Interesting. FEMA and emergency management/disaster agencies haven't changed the info they're disseminating. Is that a recent change? Got a pointer?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Interesting. FEMA and emergency management/disaster agencies haven't changed the info they're disseminating. Is that a recent change? Got a pointer?
    It was passed into law in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pets_Ev..._Standards_Act
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    Good info, thanks. Interesting that in some FEMA and emergency/disaster briefings since, they've disseminated the same info re: pets as always. I wonder if the full text of the legislation was pretty casual.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I am enjoying this topic. I will take my lab with me. I have taught him some cool stuff that my help my family along the way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Somehow people have kept dogs for a few thousand years in living conditions we view as SHTF...I think I can manage too.

Very valid point. Great perspective.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast