Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we have an AR pistol piture thread?

Feedback Score
    It'll be 5.56, to match my rifle. I plan on using a Noveske 10.5 with a pigtail gas tube, and KX3 FH. Yes, it will be impractical but I'm just trying to build a fun gun. Also, I am just curious to see if I can build a reliable AR pistol. I just want an impractical, yet impressive plinker.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 08-17-09 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    It'll be 5.56, to match my rifle. I plan on using a Noeske 10.5 with a pigtail gas tubr, and KX3 FH. Yes, it will be impractical but I'm just trying to build a fun gun. Also, I am just curious to see if I can build a reliable AR pistol. I just want an impractical, yet impressive plinker.
    I first started mine with a La France (?) gas tube and KX3. I personally found the KX3 and PWS CQB to be too heavy for my liking when not counter balanced with a buttstock. Over all just front end heavy. The PWS making it more so.

I ended up back at an A2 FH and a standard gas tube. With 55gr. I had cycling issues. Bumped it up to 62gr. and had some better results.

68gr-75gr.=flawless in my particular pistol.

The good thing about the KX3 and CQB was the fact the blast is directed away from you the shooter.

The 10.5 Noveske should suit you well. Thats an expensive plinker!
    Last edited by technique; 08-17-09 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. I had'nt considered shooting different weight bullets to acheive optimal results. Of course when I'm done I will probably come to the realization of all of the points you mention, but I'm sure gonna have fun building it and expanding my knowledge along the way. After all, that's what it's all about.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 08-17-09 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Save your money. The pigtail is not needed in a 10.5 build. Many pistol builders go to them when their 7.5" do not run and they, usually, still don't.

As to what to do with your build. As noted above, there seem to be two schools of thought build it (more)practical or build it fun.

Practical: Many of the build-practical guys build a weapon with the intention of eventually SBRing the reciever. The pistol lets you have/build the upper and get it all the bugs worked out (prior to the stamp coming back). Practical guys typically run 10.5"-12.5" builds.
    Fun: Their mato "Go short of go home". 7.5" all the way. As to barrels, many are running DPMS KittyKats, few well heeled running Noveske's.

Couple thoughts depending on what way you leaning on the build.
    -The KX3 adds 3"-3.5" to the barrel length if you are a practical guy then you are better off with the billistics of a 10.5" barrel for the same length.
    -On the 7.5" barrel try to get a 1/7" twist. Reguardless of it being a range toy try to get at least one revolution before it leaves the barrel. The coolest build out there is no fun if you can not even hit the side of a barn at 7 yards.
    -If you ever want to run a silencer on this build. Most silencer manufactures do not warrant their can on a 7.5" 5.56x45 barrel.
    -Rails/CAR buffer tubes: Pistol builds are not to have a verticle foregrip. Some are concerned with a rail on a pistol build and being in possition of a VFG as being seen as having intent. As such they do not go with a railed forearm. Pistols are not to have the ability to to accept a stock. Some use a CAR rear receiver extention on a pistol build to save money. I would suggest using a dedicated pistol rear receiver extention. YMMV.
    -My last comment [flamesuite on] Do what you want with your money but as posted above keep the weight off. These do not have a buttstock to counter ballance the weight of the weapon. Putting a billet upper/lower, 3lb rail system, KX3, Troy BUIS, M4 in a LaRue mount, and G2 light has a major chicks dig it factor but it quickly becomes a heavy pig. Parctical or fun I say "Go light or go home". When it stops being handy then it has lost its appeal. Going light, you will spend less money and probably shoot it more. [flamesuite off]

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great advice. I am leaning towards practical, as I may SBR it someday. I've read of the impracticality of the 7.5" and that's why I've settled on the 10.5". Thanks for the tip about not really needing the pigtail gas tube with this set up. I'm not really worried about people to either side of my bench being bothered by the blast, as my shooting range is in my backyard. I have installed the ACE brand pistol buffer tube. I can start to see where weight(muzzle heavy) could be an issue so I will try to heed advice toward these ends. I obviously know I can't put a VFG on it, nor would I want one. I know that I'm dumping alot of money into a toy, but like I said, I'm having fun. I've got my Glock and my carbine for HD.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 08-18-09 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sun Devil 6.5"

Feedback Score

whos flas hider

Hey Triggerfish I like your flash hider where did you get it?

Feedback Score
    Triggerfish has the right idea. I beleive that's a Tromix FH if i'm not mistaken.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IIRC it's the "Shark Brake", I bought it more than 2 years ago for my M16, then learned it was not rated for full auto. It sat in the bin of unused stuff until David Beaty (head honcho of Sun Devil) got the pistol uppers running and available.

Feedback Score
    Finished up my second AR Pistol this morning:

Built on a RRA lower and LPK, BCM upper, Kitty Kat Barrel, Spike's Pistol Tube and M16 BCG, Daniel Defense 7" Lite Rail, Magpul MOE Grip, MBUS, and ASAP plate, A2 flash hider, and Vicking Tactical light holder with a Surefire G2.
    An AK guy dabbling in an AR world.

Videos:
    Concealed Means Concealed!
    CMC Part II

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast