26 43.33%
  • Never thought about it

8 13.33%

Thread: Mag Storage

Feedback Score

Mag Storage

How do you store your extra mags?

Feedback Score
    so what do the pros/manufacturers out there say the correct way to store? and why?

empty?

full?

does not matter?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Downloading mags doesn't make the springs last any longer. The springs life cycle is determined by how many times it's compressed.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    IMO the best place to store ammo is loaded in magazines.

Feedback Score
    For each AR, I have a range bag which contains 30 mags each which are all loaded with 28 rounds. In addition, I have load bearing vests which contain 7 loaded mags. I also have 40 loaded FAL mags, 20 rounds in each, in a range bag.

Feedback Score
    Chrome silicon springs prevent the advent of finding odd soft springs. More important is how you store the mags. It is quite amazing how much crap they can gather inside just by sitting about the house never mind being in the field. It is amazing how little of the said crap is required to cause a draggy column feed and the mag will be unreliable. It is equally amazing how they develop the aforementioned fault at the most inconvenient time.

Either buff down the internal surfaces with Turtlewax or use silicon and then store them loaded - 2 rounds in the cheap ziplock bags. They can either be opened carefully but if you are hurrying the whole top rips off nicely. If you must have a go to mag strip it frequently and keep the internals clean.

Bill Alexander

Feedback Score
    I voted half empty, but that isn't entirely true.

I normally keep my mags in the gunsafe at 28 rounds, the half empty part comes in because well over half I would venture to say about 99% of my mags are in the garage empty. I have about 30 30rnds and 30 20 rnds stored in ammo cans!
    Better known as "The CAC"!

"One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully."

By: Lt Col Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C., RIP