Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 TAKE DOWN ?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Folks, please don't confuse the Springfield with Kimbers series II or Colts series 80. The Springfield doesn't have any firing pin safety mechanisms like the Kimbers and Colts.

I don't think removing the mainspring housing is necessary to remove the slide. Since he's having difficulty removing the slide, telling him to remove the mainspring housing will only make his bad day worse.

Papa:

The "big spring" you referred to is the recoil spring. When you said "poped out the pin", are you referring to the slide stop? If you have removed the slide stop, the slide should move forward. Try wiggle it, your guide rod might have got out of alignment and is blocking slide travel. Also the barrel link might have swung down and also impeding the slide from traveling freely.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It could be you feel it hanging on the disconnector. Push it past the disconnector (forward) and then it will come off.

ETA - it is all steel, you aren't going to hurt it with hand pressure.

M_P
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 08-17-09 at 09:07.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I'm going to try again. Really wondering if I was holding onto the grip safety? Will let you know. Off to the safe..............

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I can move the slide almost an inch before it sticks. The barrel is free, the FLGR is free. I have yanked on that SOB hard. If I didnt love the gun so much, I'd sledge hammer it.
    Yes Sam, I did pull out the pin. Like I said, I took my Nighthawk apart in minutes.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-17-09 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    An inch? Sounds like the disconnector is sticking.

M_P

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Is there a magazine installed?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Took the gun to a gsmith. He was totally confused. Got it apart by tapping it with a rubber mallet. Cleaned and inspected it, still could not figure it out. It still would stick. On a side note, He said do not use Lube on it? I have used Wilson Combat lube on it in the past, anyone else agree with NO LUBE on your 1911?

Called Springer, they shot me over a label and its off to S.A. Great service!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash1023 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEBrk...x=0&playnext=1

not an SA. but same first part of dis.

first 1:15 is all u should need.
    Good video except...

That's obviously not a Les Baer
    Shad
    ------
    I knew where I was when I wrote this..
    I don't know where I am now.

Les Baer PII .45
    Sig Sauer E26BR-9-BWTAC
    Daniel Defense M4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It sounds to me like your frame rails are a little wider at the muzzle end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Took the gun to a gsmith. He was totally confused. Got it apart by tapping it with a rubber mallet. Cleaned and inspected it, still could not figure it out. It still would stick. On a side note, He said do not use Lube on it? I have used Wilson Combat lube on it in the past, anyone else agree with NO LUBE on your 1911?

I have never heard of not lubing your 1911. I take a Q-tip and place a light film of WeaponShield or Super Lube on all the contact points. The slide rails, barrel hood, and the end of the barrel where the bushing makes contact are the most critical areas.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

You need to find a gunsmith, because what you have is a doofus with a mallet.

If it is the link moving out of place and causing sticking, if that happens, turn the gun upside down, shaking it a little and try removing the slide again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast