Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol for a in Car Bug Out Bag

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What barrel length are you talking about? Sub 10" and I'd rather stick a 33 round magazine for my Glock 19 in the bag or on my belt than having an unweildy and heavy recoiling .22.

If AK prices weren't so nuts the A-answer is really the underfolder AK with 16" barrel.

Well, no, as Derek points out, the A-answer is that most aren't going to be surviving a hike to the car, let alone "home" with their "bug out gear".

During one of the storms of 2005, Charlie maybe, I evac'd from the beach and went across the state to the Tampa area, which actually wound up putting me in the path of the storm. They had shut down the ports and gas was a premium commodity everywhere. Halfway across the state I had to stop to fill up. All that was left was premium, and I was glad to have found that. Tensions were HIGH at the gas station. While I didn't draw down or anything else, I was glad to have my pistol under my shirt. Later, after the storm, when we ventured out to survey the damage and find out where we could shop and get gas, I was again very glad to have that pistol, concealed, on several occasions.

I don't see what having some kind of AR pistol strapped to my chest would have done for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    in a SHTF scenario as you describe, there are probably going to be alot of 5.56 rounds and U.S.G.I. magazines lying everywhere, like some sick realistic video game.
    Really?

Stands to reason that if all these mags and ammo are lying around, finding the gun to put them in shouldn't be too much more difficult.

Feedback Score
    Not to mention floating health packs....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "I don't see what having some kind of AR pistol strapped to my chest would have done for me."

Exactly.

Feedback Score
    Good points all, I'm now in favor of ditch the Idea. Atleast for SHTF.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A option would be to turn a pistol into a small PDW with the addition of a stock, forward grip and 33rd magazines. While this is very illegal to do unless you apply for a $200.00 stamp and register the pistol as a OAW it is but another option to consider. After all the paper work is finished and approved one could carry the light weight plastic stock and forearm in your BOB and convert the pistol on your hip when needed. A Glock Model 34 or 35 would be ideal for such a conversion IMHO.

http://www.zahal.org/rifle/p22.htm
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-22-09 at 18:50. Reason: edited to repair a bad link

Feedback Score
    In a real SHTF scenario, the folks around you are not going to be asking if your weapons are legal or not. Government collapses, who to pay the worthless $200USD to???

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Double Post
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 08-22-09 at 18:51. Reason: Double Post

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by geminidglocker View Post
    In a real SHTF scenario, the folks around you are not going to be asking if your weapons are legal or not. Government collapses, who to pay the worthless $200USD to???
    I highly Doubt that the federal Government would ever collapse unless a full scale nuclear war or a direct meteor hit on U.S. soil occurred. We are talking more of a short term collapse of local government and law enforcement during a man made/natural disaster or possibly a riot in a major city. While many may be tempted to deploy such "EXOTIC" toys during a limited SHTF event eventually Big Brother would gain control over the situation and one could find him or her self standing tall in front of the man. $200.00 and some paperwork is nothing in the scheme of life and I would rather be legal then doing time and paying 1000 times $200.00 trying to fight the charges.

Feedback Score
    I agree, building an SBR or anything else, is worth being legal. I guess what I call SHTF others call TEOTWAKI.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast