Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: springs for 1911s

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

springs for 1911s

My customized springfield 1911, originally buit for IDPA, is coming out of mothball, and seeing service as a carry gun. Not much needs to be changed other than putting a factory style short spring guide and factory style plug back in. However I need recomendations on a spring now that I will be shooting mostly 230 FMJ and other defense loads. Gun was built to shoot downloaded cast bullets before.

Feedback Score
    16 Lbs. is stock.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A 16lb spring will work best for you. Anything heavier will increase felt recoil and muzzle flip. This is because the slide will be out of battery longer. Some gun builders use heavier recoil springs because their guns are so tight that it's required to get them to lock when their even just a little dirty. I shoot an 'un-tightened up' Springfield Armory 'Loaded' that I've customized a little myself with a little help from a friend. I run a stock 16lb rated spring (a Wolff) in it. I shoot this in IDPA CDP division.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    robb, you guys carry the wolff springs in the store?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    robb, you guys carry the wolff springs in the store?
    No but we do have standard Brownells 16lb springs.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    18.5 lb. variable in my Les Baer Premier II. I tend to shoot more of the heavier/hotter 230gr stuff, or at least a GI ball equivalent. My carry load is the Federal HST 230gr +p @ 980-1000fps.

Feedback Score
    I use 18/18.5 lb. springs in all of my full size 1911-style guns. They all work.

The wimpiest ammo I shoot through them is factory 230gr FMJ which usually runs 190-200PF, depending on the gun, the temp, and the specific brand. My carry ammo is hotter (Georgia Arms .45ACP 230gr Gold Dot +P).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I believe it has an 18.5 variable right now, but I will try a 16 and see how it feels. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Don't forget about your hammer spring. 23lb is stock but many drop down to a 19lb spring when the gun is set up for soft loads.

The hammer spring like the recoil spring does affect timing, recoil impulse etc,. If you have a 19lb hammer spring I'd suggest putting a 23lb hammer spring back in for extended hardball use.
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast