Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Been On the Fitness Train for a While Now... *Now With 1 Year Update*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Been On the Fitness Train for a While Now... *Now With 1 Year Update*

Well, I've been getting in shape for a while now (since Jan 20th last year) and I'd like to tell you guys about what I've been able to learn.

I started this thread in August last year, and its been a long time since then. I initially started by asking for workout suggestions, as I had been interested almost exclusively in weight loss until then. But in August of last year, I made a major push to not only keep up weight loss, but to actively "get in shape."

Weight loss is critical, IMHO. The gains I've made would not have been possible if I had kept at my starting weight. There's really only one way to do this; and that's cutting your intake. You can work out, but that's only going to go so far, but cutting calories can really help.

My weight loss really occurred because of a couple of factors:
    -No carbonated beverages, or "diet" sodas or teas. Just water, milk, or juice.
    -3 Meals evenly spaced through the day. Smaller meals are better, and I agree, but using only 3, with NO snacking, really pushed me to develop self control.
    -Healthier food choices. When you only eat a certain amount of food, you make wiser choices about what you eat. When you can choose between a donut or two for breakfast, or something more filling, like scrambled eggs, you opt for the "wiser" choice.

The "getting in shape" portion of my year long journey has been much more interesting.

Let me tell you something about myself at the start of this, one year ago. I couldn't jog a mile at 5mph to save my life. No way. I could maybe bench 135 4 times, MAYBE. And I could get out perhaps one good pushup with proper form.

Today, I can run 5k at 6mph without pushing that hard, and I bench 135 14 times. (Still not grand, but better than I started at)

I can run a mile in 7:22, and make 2 miles in 15:50, and finish a 5k in 27:22. That's one of those things that you just really can't do without losing the weight.

Also, my pushups and situps are much better as well. Today, I can crank out 45 pushups before I drop, again, nothing terribly impressive, but its a big improvement. My situp count at a year ago was 60 in 2 minutes, and that's only because I had given them sporadic attention for a couple of years before that. Today I do 85 in the same time. A significant gain, and it really helps.

Just like when I started this thread, I'm still very open to suggestions. Even a year into this, I still don't think I know much. If you have any tips on what I can do, voice 'em here.

Currently I do the following:

200 pushups (mutiple sessions)
    200 situps (single session)
    5k run
    Every day, except Sunday

Varied Upper Body Gym Workout (Mon-Sat, except Wed, which is abs and legs night) Sunday is also rest day for gym workout.

1500-1800 calories per day, with 150-200grams of protein

Again, any suggestions are welcome.

Without further ado, here's two pictures of me.

The top one is where I was Feb 4th, 2009. VERY fat, weighed nearly 280 lb, and no where near being in shape. (I apologize for the socks )

And here I am, one year from when I started at 285. I weighed in at 196, and I'm quite frankly, capable of a lot more.

Never get discouraged by the shape you are in NOW. Given enough time, you will win whatever challenge you choose to overcome. Make a commitment to win, and dedicate yourself to obtaining that goal.

Everyone starts somewhere, so don't ever give up because you see guys at the gym who are ripped, or benching 225 like nothing. You start where YOU are, and in enough time, and with enough dedication, you can get where you want to go with your fitness.

Thanks for taking the time to look, but more importantly, I hope I can push just one person to make the leap and lose weight or get in shape. Don't consign yourself to being fat forever, that's not the way it works. If you want it badly enough, you can get it.
    Last edited by BushmasterFanBoy; 01-20-10 at 21:49.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    Are you doing the big three?

Squat, deadlift, & bench press???

These 3 are the most important lifts IMO, and will help you gain overall strength. These along with other exercises + protein shakes/lean meats will help you put on more muscle.

And the muscles will then help you burn even more fat! Squats & deadlifts are compound lifts that work a large chunk of muscles in your body = encourages more hormone production = natural steriods!

Dunno much about the running, I mostly skip rope and flail my limbs at the bag awkwardly for cardio...

Edit: Congrats on the weight loss!
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 08-17-09 at 04:19. Reason: congrats!

Feedback Score
    I commend your self discipline and taking responsibility for your health.

I recommend you get the book Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore. There is also a thread in ARFCOM about Starting Strength. It echoes the sentiments above about basic compound lifts. Squat, Bench Press, Dead Lift, Power Cleans and Shoulder Press are the lifts used.

I also strongly suggest you look at CrossFit and maybe even CrossFit Endurance or CrossFit Football depending upon what your goals are.

I think if you ramped up to Starting Strength with MetCon's on between days you'll hit a level of fitness you would not have imagined.

Also on the CrossFit main site you can find great articles about nutrition, particularly the Zone Diet and eating clean.
    Last edited by stony275; 08-17-09 at 14:21. Reason: Extraneous word in a sentence.

Feedback Score
    I also commend you on your progress! Keep up the good work and stay motivated.

Look to the following sites...

http://www.trainforstrength.com/ go to workouts.

and

http://www.rosstraining.com/ Ross also has a couple of good books but his articles and forum has a metric **** ton of info as well.
    Last edited by riddlin; 08-17-09 at 06:19.

Feedback Score

military athelete

check out militaryathlete.com. Their workouts are very intense and dynamic you wont get bored doing them. Youll probably have to scale back on the prescribed weights but make sure you complete all the sets and reps as per the workout. If you have the heart this will get you were you want to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stony275 View Post
    I commend your self discipline and taking responsibility for your health.

I recommend you get the book Starting Strength by Rippetoe and Kilgore. There is also a thread here in ARFCOM about Starting Strength. It echoes the sentiments above about basic compound lifts. Squat, Bench Press, Dead Lift, Power Cleans and Shoulder Press are the lifts used.

I also strongly suggest you look at CrossFit and maybe even CrossFit Endurance or CrossFit Football depending upon what your goals are.

I think if you ramped up to Starting Strength with MetCon's on between days you'll hit a level of fitness you would not have imagined.

Also on the CrossFit main site you can find great articles about nutrition, particularly the Zone Diet and eating clean.

This.....

You have already proven that you have the will to do the hard part. Keep it up. Good luck

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Good job, bud. Make a habit out of it.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Holy shit dude, that is a BIG change. You might not think much has changed but your now at a position to really start making the changes that will start forming your physique into a muscular example. You've beaten the mental start of it, from here on out you'll be making the real muscular and cardiovascular changes to your body. For gods sake don't give up now you're half way there. Your first picture looks like a chubby young kid, 6 more months from now and you'll be a very buff young man. I'd start pushing your cardio from here on out, I hate running myself so I'd recommend lower joint impact stuff such as biking, or an elliptical. I'd also do some reasearch into body sculpting to start shaping your body into what you want it to appear like instead of just random excercises. Workout your pectorals, quads, calves, biceps, trapezius, lats, flatten your stomach out and don't neglect your core body strength not just the visible external stuff. Time is limited so maximize your results for the time. Don't neglect the secondary stuff which is all inter-related like your diet, what you take in is very important to keep the machine running in top form. Remember, you've already done more mentally than 95% of the people out there, the rest is easy.
    good luck

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good on you. As you've found out, it isn't easy, but it's worth it.

Good on you for wearing shoes in the second pic, too.

Feedback Score
    Great change so far, losing all that fat is quite the accomplishment.

You have the gear for a fight, but if you aren't lifting weights and working on metabolic conditioning then you don't have what it takes to stay in it. Get your ass moving.

Honestly, the old you in the first pic..how many times is he getting on and off his knees before he was KOd.
    Last edited by Cascades236; 08-18-09 at 16:09.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast