Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Been On the Fitness Train for a While Now... *Now With 1 Year Update*

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bit of an update guys, and its not too good...

At the range yesterday, I had a duffel bag full of gear, then leaned over to pick up another guncase, when I hear a "POP" and my right knee gave out. I was on the ground, and in pretty bad pain, but mostly just scared, lol. I've had it resting, elevated, iced, and compressed ever since.

Today, I went to the hospital and found out a bit more. Apparently the xrays (which cant show ligament damage anyways) show that its not too bad. The doc then examined my knee and said that it wasn't THAT bad (not a complete tear, the swelling wasn't that severe, lack of bruising, etc). That was a relief, as I was hoping to have this keep me off my feet for a shorter time, rather than later. However, I'm going to be off my feet a week at least, and after that, I should only be able to get around, not running or long walking. That might take a month or longer...

As much as I'd like to just get up and start running as soon as I can stand it, I've heard that doesn't bode well for recovery. So I'm going to 'baby' this knee and stay off it until I'm cleared that I'm fully recovered. I'm not going to sacrifice long term use of my joint so i can get a few laps in. (As much as I'd be itching to do it)

The one thing that is hitting me hard is not being able to walk or run, as I had really built that up into a stress relieving element where I enjoyed getting up and moving around.

As of last week, I had been running/jogging about 5 miles a day, which was pretty good in my book. Just Friday, I had upped my 6mph distance to 2.5 miles, and then jogged the rest of the 5 miles at 5mph. And earlier that week, I got my mile time down to 8:11.

I'm pretty bummed out, since I'm going to have to stay off my knee for a long time, meaning I'm going to be back on the computer/watching tv more than I'd like. The one thing I can't stand is the thought of being like the "old" me, where I'd veg out for hours in front of a screen, instead of being active. I'm just hoping I can maintain my mindset through this, and keep up my desire to be active, even though I won't be able to do much. At least I can still maintain my weight loss if I keep my intake cut. (If anyone has any ways to work cardio without using your legs, im all ears) I'm fairly confident that once I'm through this ordeal, I'll be much more committed, so there's a plus.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    A correctly adjusted stationary bike run with light restistance can help keep you going after the week of rest is over.

I had good use of that after I had kneesurgery of "the tidy up after a serious twist" aka "why does my foot point 45 dgrs off my knee ?" kind.. Experience of one, given free on the internet, I know - but atleast worth running the question by some physiotherapist or sportsmedical figur...

And as to that - doing weights for the upper body, while on inclining benches is also applicable...
    Last edited by HPFlashman; 08-25-09 at 06:38. Reason: added comment

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear about the injury interrupting your outstanding progress.

Here are a couple of articles that may help.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2005/05/...reArticleTitle

(Requires a $25 subscription that gives you access to all back articles, including great video on lifting technique with Mark Rippetoe, Dave Tate and many others.)

The bottom line of the article is to take your injury as an opportunity to motivate yourself to work on some other weaknesses. I had a knee injury a few years ago and discovered that while I couldn't squat, I could do kettlebell swings and (soon) deadlifts.

Here's a free one that's more inspirational than instructional:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf...ckComeback.pdf

Once you're doing better, I second the Rippetoe book for building up some strength. Once you've learned the lifts, you might like Michael Rutherford's workouts at http://coachrut.blogspot.com -- at age 43 I've made good progress with his program.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry for your trouble,

But sh%* happens. You are young so healing will go quick. The most important thing is to continue to train the rest of your body just as hard or harder than before. This will actually speed up the process for the other leg to catch up from atrophy. Be sure to do all of the rehab exercises. and work your upper body and the good leg to death. This is a great opportunity to become great at pullups or bench press or whatever you always wanted.

There is alot of good advice in this thread. Crossfit offers great instructional videos free.

Good luck

Eric

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You were overdoing it - I have hurt myself before even when I thought I was being careful. Lucky for you you look to be pretty young. Just watch your diet very carefully while you're laid up.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When you are able, start using an eliptical machine. Try treading water in the deep end of you local pool. Take it easy on the knee

Feedback Score
    Almost forgot -- you don't even have to give up squats, just do them one-legged:

http://www.beastskills.com/Pistol.htm

The modified step-ups are the most accessible version and easiest to perform with added weight (plates, dumbbells, or kettlebells).

Feedback Score
    Bummer bro, set backs are frustrating as hell. I've been sidelined by problems for about a month and a half now.

About two more weeks and I can go hard again. Take it easy and don't rush your recovery!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    First off, congrats on the weight loss. That in itself is a great accomplishment. Second, sorry to hear about the injury. Make sure you rest and give it time to heal properly. Remember though just because one part is injured doesn't mean you can't work out other parts.

well, if you want to get fit you have to build muscle and that will require you to lift weights. if you don't know much about lifting, i recommend finding someone or getting a trainer to get you started. lifting weights will actually help you burn fat more than running anyway. since you are injured anyway, start reading about different types of workout programs and think about what you want to accomplish. some people just want to be fit, some people want to be able to pick up a car...different programs for different needs.

also, it seems like you've been good about diet, that's half the battle. instead of three full meals i would recommend 4-6 smaller meals. it'll keep your metabolism going all day long. also, if you have to snack do something healthy. drink lots of water. make sure you take a pre-workout snack (i love peanut butter) and then put some protein in your body immediately after working out (the sooner the better, but definitely within an hour). lots of people use protein shakes because it's more convenient than going home and grilling up chicken or making tuna.

hope my diatribe was somewhat helpful.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks all for the kind words, weighed in today, a bit below 210, and I think I can get around now without a brace for my knee. (Not bad considering I was on crutches all last week) I still use a compress around the knee, but I can walk with a bit of a limp to where I need to go. It's been a lil over a week, and I'm excited to see where next week will take me on my recovery.

I'm almost positive its a torn MCL, of what degree I'm not sure, (due to the swelling and pain on the inner portion of the knee) and its quite hard to get my knee to fully extend, not impossible, but I can feel the tendon get stretched. I also sense a sort of catching in the inside of my knee, but I'm not sure what the cause of that is. I figure I should wait until the swelling goes down and my MCL gets back in shape before I worry heavily about it. Again, not quite as bad as I was fearing, but not as good as it could be.

On the plus side, it should heal great w/o surgery. I'm thankful for that, and when I'm ready to get back on my running routine, I'm kind of torn between wanting to baby the knee and just hit the track as hard as I've ever run in my life.

****Incorrect Diagnosis**** See Pg. 2 for full story.
    Last edited by BushmasterFanBoy; 09-19-09 at 11:33. Reason: incorrect diagnosis
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast