Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Quick Clot

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For about the same price, there is 20% more treated gauze. Anyone know how much chemical is in each strip of gauze?

4 yards (12 ') x 3"

3" x 10'
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBTech View Post
    Judging by the price and the fact that it's for external use I would say no.
    As evidenced by the picture Submariner posted, that's what QuikClot Combat Gauze says too.

Feedback Score

Quikclot and Expiration Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    That's what I figured. If it's the non-exothermic stuff I'd have no problem at all using it past the expiration, especially if there was nothing else there, but it's good to know that it will keep for a long time.

I'm still curious about the old exothermic stuff and whether it will lost stability or efficacy.
    The old, granular Quikclot product should not "age" and the expiration date would not logically be an issue. The grains are from a mineral called 'Zeolite", which, if kept dry would not deteriorate over time. I have used it well past the expiration date and it worked just fine.

That said, I believe that the newer, gauze version is so much easier to use and has none of the exothermic qualities that I have replaced my granular stuff. Of course, you are only using Quikclot if things are really bad and you can't get the bleeding controlled any other way, so you use what you've got.

Feedback Score

Quikclot Availability

Quote Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
    is this the same stuff that REI is selling?

http://www.rei.com/product/770187
    Quikclot is available at REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, E-Bay, and any number of other sites. Just do a "google search" and lots of sites come up. I get mine directly from Quikclot.com and don't have to put up with the follow-up "sale" emails from the retailers who sell it.

As a testimonial, I have used Quikclot a number of times on myself, a neighbor and my mother. Both my elderly mother and I have heart conditions which require the use of the blood thinners. Any cut can be a major bleeding event. The only product we have found that stops the bleeding is Quikclot Sport gauze pads. I had some of the old, granular product and that worked extremely well, but they don't make it anymore. The gauze is just as effective and doesn't have the mess or risk of burning that the granular stuff did. My neighbor was using a recipricating saw and slashed his forearm while trimming some branches from his tree. I saw the accident and tried to get the bleeding controlled by using a tee shirt and pressure, but it would not stop. My wife ran and got a Quikclot package and I was able to get his bleeding under control before the EMT's got there. The stuff works and I think it should be in every first-aid kit.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678