Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Clot

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just FYI, here is the 6 year old chemical burn scar caused by the QuikClot being poured onto my gunshot entry wound (7.62mm fired from AK-47) under my left armpit. The actual entry hole was very small, but the QuikClot, poured hastily by my nervous and pissed off Corpsman, burned the surrounding flesh as well. It's roughly 2 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches tall. I have a few dozen scars overall scattered around my whole body, so this one ain't bothering me.

And like I said in my previous post I would, without a shadow of a doubt, be dead had QuikClot NOT been used on my gunshot entry wound, as I was bleeding out of my lower back from a much lager exit wound that no one even knew I had sustained.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    celox uses chitosan, and it's what i keep in my first aid kit.
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    First of all thank you for your service, you have given more for our country and us as individuals than most of us will ever think about. That being said I would respectfully submit that Quick Clot is probably not the primary reason you survived your injuries and could have caused significantly more serious injuries to your lungs which falls into that category of not semi bad but really-bad things. As you yourself mentioned you were losing more blood from your exit wound than the entrance wound. Also the application of Quickclot under your arm could have prevented a physician from being able to insert a chest tube to treat the probable hemo/pneumothorax that would have resulted from this wound which also makes a bad day much worse. As I have mentioned before, while QuickClot and similar products have their place they are very few and far between and it is a very poor decision to use them in a civilian setting most of the time. I treat at least one GSW or Stabbing a week even on (for us) relatively slow shifts. I have yet to see an injury that I believe quickclot or a similar hemostatic agent would have been necessary including many groin and abdominal wounds. Unless you are routinely treating massive non-compressible hemorrhages 2-3 hours from definitive care you really dont have a need for these products and can do much more harm than good. "Chemical Burns" - in this case actually just thermal burns from the exothermic reaction is not the only major concern. Emboli will kill you just as fast as bleeding out and there is a number of other complications as well. Gauze - Direct Pressure - Definitive Care. Thats what we need to worry about.

Feedback Score
    Can you purchase these products? Expensive?

Feedback Score
    quickclot will save your life no doubt. a friend of mine took a femoral hit to his left leg from an ak in ramadi. michael monsoor then dragged him off of the street so that he could get treated by the hm on scene. the quickclot saved his life, but not without taking a tax, which was major nerve and skin damage.
    weigh the two out, i will take skin damage and a skin graft any day!!
    Last edited by texasfrog; 08-19-09 at 00:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sounds like QC is good stuff, but as I thought the knowledge and skill to use it and "when" to use it are significantly more complex than "tear open pouch with teeth and pour" which is what is often implied. I have friends that are medics and there dept. will not let them touch the stuff. I work hours or days from help and would like to learn to use it "properly", not sure where that learning will come from

RETREATHELL all I have to say is God Bless You and your one tuff SOB, Thank You and your in my prayers!
    Last edited by M4Fundi; 08-19-09 at 02:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacMedic4450 View Post
    Gauze - Direct Pressure - Definitive Care. Thats what we need to worry about.
    The Army agrees. We're issued QC gauze now. Chemical reaction still remains but without the heat.

We were issued HEMCONs prior to deploying and got rid of them a couple months ago. My section medic was instructed that there were two primary reasons for the recall:

1) Chitosan is poisonous when inhaled.
    2) It wouldn't come off as easily as "advertised". Apparently once the victims got back to CSHs the doctors had issues removing the bandages and sometimes surgery was the only method of removing every part of the bandage.

Feedback Score
    Indeed. I've seen medics have to pull out the equivalent of steel wool and scrub the bandages out. It definitely has its applications, but used prematurely, incorrectly, or even incorrectly, and you've got some potentially painful hours waiting for you down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Microwvbleturtle View Post
    2) It wouldn't come off as easily as "advertised". Apparently once the victims got back to CSHs the doctors had issues removing the bandages and sometimes surgery was the only method of removing every part of the bandage.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasfrog View Post
    quickclot will save your life no doubt. a friend of mine took a femoral hit to his left leg from an ak in ramadi. michael monsoor then dragged him off of the street so that he could get treated by the hm on scene. the quickclot saved his life, but not without taking a tax, which was major nerve and skin damage.
    weigh the two out, i will take skin damage and a skin graft any day!!
    Was that the incident where Petty Officer Monsoor earned his Silver Star?
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Heavy Metal;436277]Was that the incident where Petty Officer Monsoor earned his Silver Star?[/QUOTE/]

sure was

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast