Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Clot

Feedback Score
    The 'new' QuikClot does not burn and works well. I know this first-hand. Put it on, apply pressure and leave it on until you get medical attention.

Feedback Score

Quikclot has Changed- No Heat

After a number of comments and replies on this and other sites, I got in touch with both Z-Medica, which makes Quikclot and Combat Medical Systems, which markets to the military.

The product that was first used in the field was a granular substance (zeolite) that, when it contacted water, generated an exothermic reaction that sometimes caused burning. In addition, it had to be washed from the wound before it could be dealt with at the aid station. It worked extremely well for what it was designed for and that was to stop uncontrolled bleeding and it saved a lot of lives. It's mechanism for stopping the bleed was that the zeolite removed the water from the blood, creating a clot.

Due to concerns about the heat problems, the team at Z-Medica reformulated their products using a substance that does not have any exothermic qualities, kaolin. Kaolin is a clay-like substance that starts the bodies own clotting mechanism by activating clotting factors 12 and 11 and that starts the clotting cascade. The new product is called "Combat Gauze". It comes in a roll of gauze that can be pressed into the wound, held with pressure and stops the bleeding.

The original granular product is not sold anymore. I have personal experience using both the old, granular product, and the new gauze. They both worked great, but the gauze is much more simple to use with none of the heat involved risk. I keep some in my personal kit as well as at home.

It's like have a handgun. You never need one until you need one badly !!!!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    I helped with some of the field tests/studies of early QuikClot powder and even then the exothermic reaction was apparent but the alternative of bleeding to death outweighed those concerns. With more modern alternatives like Combat Gauze (I really like the idea of the medium mixed with the bandage) and kaolin those aren't even a concern any more.

If there is nothing else available, use the QuikClot, if you're investing in new kit, then get something a bit more modern.
    Is the statement in blue the general consensus here?

Is QUIKCLOT ACS+ the newer version (kaolin) of the QUIKCLOT ACS?

If you had the original QUIKCLOT ACS, how long might you use it after its printed expiration date?
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    If you had the original QUIKCLOT ACS, how long might you use it after its printed expiration date?
    Is that something you really want to cheap out on? The typical life span is three years, I'd bet that effectiveness starts to drop dramatically at that point, but I don't know that there are any hard-and-fast studies. Three years after expiration? If I'm desperate I might give it a shot. Anything beats dead but its entirely situational so you're going to have to use your best judgment.

The presumption is that you take inventory every once in a while and that if you have no other options (i.e. you left your BOK at home and found the old med kit in the car which you almost forgot about) use it if someone's life's at stake.

You should rotate your stock every once in a while.

Expired stuff makes for great training aids.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-07-10 at 20:02.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    John, here's one for you.

I have not used the new clotting agents but have spoken at length to some of the Military trainers and SF medics who like and recomend some of the products out there now.

Here's to my question/comment:

Back in the day when Julius Cesaer was a Team Leader and clotting agents were not around I was shown an improvised method. Field dressings used to come in packs of two. If you had a bleeder that would benefit from assistance with clotting you would put one of the dressings in a mess tin and set fire to it. The resulting ash being sterile was then to be placed in the wound to help clotting and the second dressing placed over the top.

I will make the point that this was not a method found on the normal medic training syllabus. It was a item taught on the general SF type course years back - drastic situations call for drastic measures. I know that surgeons would faint at the thought of this.

Did you ever come across this one on your side of the puddle??

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd be curious if that works. I know wood ash makes lye so that might be caustic. That's just a guess though I've no proof that cotton is the same.

Honey can also be used, though I never have, by way of osmotic pressure. It also is sterile.

For small non lifethreatenng cuts super glue makes a good ad hoc bandage.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 01-08-10 at 09:34.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Is that something you really want to cheap out on? The typical life span is three years, I'd bet that effectiveness starts to drop dramatically at that point, but I don't know that there are any hard-and-fast studies. Three years after expiration? If I'm desperate I might give it a shot. Anything beats dead but its entirely situational so you're going to have to use your best judgment.

The presumption is that you take inventory every once in a while and that if you have no other options (i.e. you left your BOK at home and found the old med kit in the car which you almost forgot about) use it if someone's life's at stake.

You should rotate your stock every once in a while.

Expired stuff makes for great training aids.
    The three packs on hand expired September - December of last year. They were replaced with four new QC gauze packs. I'm wondering if they should be retained or trashed. Since changing to gauze, I'm not sure of its value as a training aid.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Apologies for minor off topic tangent.

I'd be curious if that works. I know wood ash makes lye so that might be caustic. That's just a guess though I've no proof that cotton is the same.
    It was taught, wisdom of hindsight etc......

Honey can also be used, though I never have, by way of osmotic pressure. It also is sterile.
    Used honey in hospital and use it at home. Manuka honey, from New Zealand, is THE stuff to use. It has tremedous antibiotic properties, more so than any other honey. Teaspoons three times a day are given to patients with disorders (including cancer) or surgery of the alimentary canal. There are also ready to use dressings with it on/in. We take it at home against colds and throat infections and I have used it on the rugrats scrapes.

For small non lifethreatenng cuts super glue makes a good ad hoc bandage.
    Dermabond, good stuff. Should be a must have item in every major personal aid kit.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 01-08-10 at 10:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Expiration dates are mandated by the FDA and manufacturers love em for other reasons such as increased sales.

I used to work in regulatory affairs for an in vitro diagnostic company. Expiration dates for our products could be a matter of life or death if used in diagnostics such as for PSA.

As for drugs , the only one I can remember being a problem is tetracycline. Other problems will be related to a reduction in potency and that may result in serious treatment issues.

But, you would be surprised how long correctly stored OTC drugs can last and be effective, like aspirin.

I am careful with IV fluids and never use em out of date. Epipens are another concern.

I am not too worried about quickclot going bad. I would be worried about wear and tear of the packaging more so then the date.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Von,

Lofty Wiseman had a fellow instructor who was the plant expert. He mentioned making bandages and casts out of comfrey I think.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast