Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arizona/ Southwest Get Together

Feedback Score
    IG check your messages...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    IG - Just getting back on M4C the past couple of days after dealing with a few family emergencies. I'm working on securing a new position at a new company and will be traveling down in your area alot in the near future, so lunch or a couple beers , is on me and is a definite sometime soon.
    How can I help coordinate or facilitate making this happen? Instead of everybody just throwing up a hand and saying "I'm in!" we need to come up with a curriculum and understand what people's expectations are prior to making this happen. Having someone drive from NV, CA, UT or NM and not getting what they would want out of a class would be pretty disappointing for that person after adding up time, gas, hotel, etc.
    A few thoughts I have... for me personally I do not have the want/need to be a professional armorer so breaking down & rebuilding a BUIS is not top on my list. I was thinking more along the lines of a maintenance/upkeep class that delves a little deeper than the typical lube & shoot. This being the case for myself I also don't think investing alot of money in specialty tools is a wise decision when I can be purchasing practice ammo with that money. IG, I think your idea of a powerpoint show along with possibly a show & tell on some of the not so common issues would suffice without every person needing to purchase specialty micrometers and things of that nature.
    Personally, my initial primary focus would be on the AR and Glock platforms as I tend to use these as my go to guns and I think alot of others have a similar mindset. I would like to have a professional armorer, in this case IraqGunz, help teach me how to how to diagnose and repair malfunctions, perform function inspections, check headspace, etc. A few other things might be:

•Clearance procedures, load & unloading procedures
    •Field stripping the rifle
    •Function check
    •Gas operating system
    •Cycle of operation
    •Difference between semi-automatic and automatic parts
    •Legal barrel length with or without a permanent flash suppressor
    •Disassemble and assemble lower receiver group to include stock
    •Disassemble and assemble bolt carrier group
    •Disassemble and assemble upper receiver group
    •Bullet trajectory and battle sight zero
    •Headspacing
    •Barrel replacement
    •Cleaning, maintenance, and lubrication

Sorry about the long winded post. If you are really interested in learning more and participating in a class please provide some input that will be beneficial to making this happen. Also, what can you do to help make this happen?

Stay safe!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'm not exactly a professional armorer, but I'm down for anything I could learn from a professional with regards to AR's. Shooting, field maintenance, wrenching on 'em, etc.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I'm up for something similar to what irish is describing.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What... no Wyoming people allowed?

I'd be up for some training, but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    I'm up for something similar to what irish is describing.
    We could always carpool when all the kinks get worked out

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.
    That too.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    What... no Wyoming people allowed?

I'd be up for some training, but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.
    Zhurdan - I'm hoping for a 1st time SW get together that we'd start out with people learning the weapon platform first and then hopefully we can all get back together and start some louder training Building blocks... And Wyoming's definitely invited!

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
    We could always carpool when all the kinks get worked out
    True, but I'm sure my shitty schedule will get in the way.

Feedback Score
    May I suggest:
    http://www.gunsitelodge.com/homepage.html

It is adjacent to Gunsite.

It's inexpensive. 16 beds. Mild climate. 4800ft elevation.
    And it might be possible to gain permission to use the on-site range.
    Last edited by Chuck; 09-11-09 at 20:43.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast