Thread: Insight AN-PEQ16

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Insight AN-PEQ16

I had an opportuntity to take a in depth look at the new Insight AN-PEQ16, which is the next step up from the currently issued PEQ15 ATPIAL.

Comparison shot with the PEQ15.

The PEQ16 has a 100 lumen lamp assembly where the IR illuminator used to be at. Insight moved the IR illuminator into a three lamp module in the same line as the IR and visible laser.

Top view

Rear view

Dual switch that can control the PEQ16 and also the BVL

Closer look at the latest SOPMOD Block 2 Bright visible light, SU233

Last edited by SMGLee; 08-20-09 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    HOTAS finally trickles down to the carbine...

In all seriousness, though, that's some cool stuff.
    Last edited by caporider; 08-20-09 at 14:47.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Goddamn that's huge. Though I still wish I had a 15 instead of my 2As

Thanks for the pictures.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score

Insight AN-PEQ16

Good morning, the system pictured is nomenclatured AN/PEQ-16A. The AN/PEQ-16 is built on a different chassis then either the PEQ-15 or the PEQ-16A

S/F

Pete

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, it does look a bit chunky. Good concept though. But, it appears the retaining straps for the covers hasn't evolved at all. They tend to stretch over time with hard use...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    what the battery life like on that thing? it looks like a battery whore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I could see negligent discharges of the white light being an issue, at least in my unit. Continuously toggling the WL on and off and/or removing covers pending on tactical situation would also be a PITA.

If given a choice I'd stick to the 15 I have now with an independent WL source.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Well, it does look a bit chunky. Good concept though. But, it appears the retaining straps for the covers hasn't evolved at all. They tend to stretch over time with hard use...
    You're right about the straps. When we field them, like with the -15, we recommend to unit armorers that the load up on replacement caps for that reason, along with double-redundant tape switches due to breakage/loss.

We've seen issues with bulbs coming loose in their mountings if the bezel isn't tightened properly, which seems to happen most often when not checked periodically to ensure it isn't coming loose after extended periods of fire. Also, with bulbs bursting under relatively low round count, but it's not widespread, and we're still trying to narrow down causal factors.

Thankfully, these things are issued with a spare bulb, but we run into the usual hassle...armorers that are afraid of people losing things, so they keep pieces of SL-3 that the operator is probably going to need at some point, like, say, spare bulbs. Just like the LensPens that come with RCOs, jfc.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons