Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife challenge

Feedback Score

Knife challenge

I assume you have an S&P knife that you love, the one (or maybe 3) which you will carry on your BOB, one which can be used for gutting animals as well as people, one you plan on using for camp chores as well as cooking chores.

I challenge you to use your 1 (2, or 3) S&P knife(s) for everything around the house for one month and report back how it worked for you. I suggest sharpening your knife before hand. I suggest keeping a log of when you used it (some of us will only be able to use our knives in the evening for limited duty while others may be able to abuse their knives more).

Please give us a start post telling us what knife/knives you will be testing.
    Please note if you need to resharpen your knife.
    Please note if you couldn't accomplish a task because your knife was too big or small.
    Updates once a week would be nice.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    I think my posts would be pretty boring. Opened a pack of hotdogs with my CS GI Tanto.
    Cut up some steak with my CS GI Tanto. Chopped top off Mac and Cheese box with CS GI Tanto.

Feedback Score
    Cut tag off new shirt with KABAR.
    Opened mail with KABAR.
    Last edited by RemMan700; 09-04-09 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about this and it turns out that I use one of three knives for about 99% of the applicable work... and one knife stands out as the one that does almost everything: My SAK OHT!

I have a hammer forged butcher knife in the kitchen that I reground to a smaller blade, it is my single do-everything kitchen knife.

The third knife is a very stout, short blade, fixed utility knife...
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    I lived off the land so to speak cause we also fished so lived off land and water for about 6 months

I had a fork and a blackjack 1-7 and a opinel or is it openal ? those cheap wood handled knives they are great for eating and small stuff the Blackjack was great for fishing and cutting pineapple and coconut and meat also was good at chopping small bush for kindling did everything I needed and held a edge very very well truly amazing for how much I used it
    the fork and small knife make daily eating much more enjoyable

I used to have a almar folding filet knife I loved and it was in Honduras with me till I lost it ? but was a great daily living knife again not a work knife like the Blackjack

a machete and a work knife like a BJ 1-7 and a daily knife small sharp
    are the team that I love

if I had to have only one !!!! it would be the Blackjack I have had a ton of knives as I and a buddy used to sell knives so had the chance to test out tons of models etc...

i think its personal and some of the new knives these days are very nice

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    I lived off the land so to speak cause we also fished so lived off land and water for about 6 months

I had a fork and a blackjack 1-7 and a opinel or is it openal ? those cheap wood handled knives they are great for eating and small stuff the Blackjack was great for fishing and cutting pineapple and coconut and meat also was good at chopping small bush for kindling did everything I needed and held a edge very very well truly amazing for how much I used it
    the fork and small knife make daily eating much more enjoyable

I used to have a almar folding filet knife I loved and it was in Honduras with me till I lost it ? but was a great daily living knife again not a work knife like the Blackjack

a machete and a work knife like a BJ 1-7 and a daily knife small sharp
    are the team that I love

if I had to have only one !!!! it would be the Blackjack I have had a ton of knives as I and a buddy used to sell knives so had the chance to test out tons of models etc...

i think its personal and some of the new knives these days are very nice
    cool. I've got an original Black Jack Trail Guide with Micarta handle. that would be my choice except I'm afraid to subject it to hard use. it has tasted blood though as it's my primary hunting and skinning knife.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I've been doing some of that for years in some ways

I've been using my SRK Carbon 5 in the kitchen as butchering knife and general purpose knife (its mate got stolen in Jul)
    use Old Timer Stockman daily and a Benchmade for about everything from cutting a steak when out eating in restaurants to cutting 550 cord.
    this way know how they handle everything and familiar with there uses and weaknesses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RemMan700 View Post
    Cut tag off new shirt with KABAR.
    Opened mail with KABAR.
    Sharpened pencil with KABAR.

Feedback Score
    24 (96%)
    My EDC knife is a Bark River Mini Skinner that I made a kydex sheath for to mount it horizontal for a right hand cross draw on my belt. I use it for EVERYTHING from opening letters and packages to cooking, slicing food for eating, cuting paracord, making fuzz sticks for fires. For larger duty, I carry a Bark Rver Golok for fire prep work. The Mini Skinner is my go to, never get rid of knife.
    Love the A2!!!

Feedback Score
    Benchmade with Access Lock, true one hand open and close. Two of them, one black blade, half serrated, one bright, no serrations.

A couple of years ago, made the mistake of opening it to cut a news paper bundle for a girl in a shop! in the UK. WOW, thought she was going to have a heart attack, and I opened it with my thumb, slow and quiet it seemed to be the size of the blade.

No problem now, it seems you can not have one on your person.
    Last edited by Scouse; 10-08-09 at 06:47.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast