Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife challenge

Feedback Score
    Well it has been a month, how is the challenge going?

I finished my test. I have come to the conclusion that I must carry a Gerber Hatchet + knife combo. I used it for a month. I used it mostly for kitchen stuff, but there were other things. I am very impressed with everything, but my knife is very dull.

I will put it up against any of you and your knives for easy duty at the house or hard duty in the woods.

The only concern is this thing in a knife fight. What do you think about using a hatchet in a knife fight?
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
    Well it has been a month, how is the challenge going?

I finished my test. I have come to the conclusion that I must carry a Gerber Hatchet + knife combo. I used it for a month. I used it mostly for kitchen stuff, but there were other things. I am very impressed with everything, but my knife is very dull.

I will put it up against any of you and your knives for easy duty at the house or hard duty in the woods.

The only concern is this thing in a knife fight. What do you think about using a hatchet in a knife fight?
    I think it would be a hatchet fight.

Feedback Score
    old timer with old carbon steal blade gets used when I need something very sharp. I have an old hickory in the kitchen it gets used for everything in the kitchen. The hickory is used daily I have sharpened it once, 3 years ago. I use a hone on the hickory when I use it. Its sort of a ritual. I use it hone it and clean and dry it before I put it down. The Leatherman is my edc. It dont hold an edge for crap but its handy.

Feedback Score
    Becker K&T Campanion. ive used it to do just about everything a knife should be able to and then some.
    "I can make you feel, but i cant make you think"- Ian Anderson

Feedback Score
    Last edited by MIKE G; 05-08-17 at 22:39.

Feedback Score
    For outdoor, it needs to be long fixed blade(full tang), thick enough to take a beating from a wooden mallet/branch.

I prefer all my knives of alaska.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalo...at=Bush%20Camp

I also have a pronghorn hunter, cub bear, muskrat, and alpha wolf.

The only issue I have is that some are D2 steel and risk corrosion in salt water vs other metals. That being said, enough oil on them, and they are fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Signel View Post
    For outdoor, it needs to be long fixed blade(full tang), thick enough to take a beating from a wooden mallet/branch.

I prefer all my knives of alaska.
    I also have a pronghorn hunter, cub bear, muskrat, and alpha wolf.

The only issue I have is that some are D2 steel and risk corrosion in salt water vs other metals. That being said, enough oil on them, and they are fine.
    Not to start an argument, but more of a discussion.
    I disagree with the big knife theory.
    I am thinking that the hatchet and small knife is the way to go.
    Have you used these to butcher animals?
    Have you used it to chop wood?
    Have you used it around the kitchen?

Let see some pictures of your knives.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    I actually have two hatchets in my pack, but honestly, a chainsaw tends to make much easier work of wood when camping/hunting.

As for your other questions:

Have you used these to butcher animals?

Many many times... The D2 steel is exceptional at edge retention so even feral hogs are easy. I've seen many hunting buddies toss their kershaw/gerbers to the cooler and use my KOA's instead. I've gone full seasons without having to sharpen the D2 blades. I would NOT use these for hammering or prying..

Have you used it to chop wood?

I have used the camp knife to chop wood as it is very thick and can take the slugs from a baton. It is useful for splitting saplings or 1-4 inch branches... I've done so to fashion a ground blind for turkey hunting on many occasions.

Have you used it around the kitchen?

All the time. I don't use my caping knife or the muskrat as they are very specific tools for skinning/caping, but the alpha wolf is excellent at butchering. I took a hog apart in the garage a few months back and then used it to finish some pork for pulled pork sandwiches. I prefer it for cutting up large cuts of meat from the meat market as well.

My general stance is this:

Hard tool steel for intricate butchering.

Softer steel for my pocket knives (they tend to be cheaper as a result) so i don't care if I destroy them or loose them. I love Gerber, Kershaw and CRKT for this job. There are plenty of other brands that would fill this roll easily

i have a clean hatchet and a gerber bone saw for the skeletal work.

PIC without my camp knife as it is in my brothers pack it seems.. sneaky little bastard.

Last edited by Signel; 01-08-10 at 21:48. Reason: pic

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I had a M9 bayonet that I used for, quite literally everything. I gave it to a buddy, and it's probably not seen any use whatsoever, but that thing did everything from cutting branches to cutting steaks. It even works as an excellent spatula for flipping omelets and pancakes.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE G View Post
    I take your challenge, and here is my selected tool:

Chris Reeve's Shadow IV.

I have a lot of cooking ahead of me with the holidays coming up, I will try to post pics and details as much as possible.

ETA: First meal down, an easy one. Spicy chicken sandwich for lunch.

And dinner... (low carb meatloaf)
    Mike - Does the end cap on the Shadow IV unscrew to allow for storage in the handle?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast