Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA

Feedback Score

IDPA

I searched and came up with alot of threads but they were either about targets or random posts.

Just wondering how many people are involved, what calibers and mag capacities you use, what holsters you use?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In my *very limited* experience with IDPA I simply swapped magazines from my carry ammo to my range ammo. Most other guys I saw there took their guns out of a box and put them away when they were done. I simply showed up and left exactly the same way - carrying.

I carry and shoot a Glock 19 in training coursework and for IDPA. I carry one spare magazine (like I always do) and I use a Raven Concealment holster set up for IWB (soft loops) and I use either a Custom Carry Concepts or a Ready Tactical kydex emergency reload pouch.

ToddG Guest
    Now that I CCW with an AIWB holster, I don't shoot IDPA because they don't allow appendix carry. Prior to that, I've shot IDPA with a variety of Beretta, Glock, Smith & Wesson, and SIG pistols. Holsters were always IWB behind the strong side hip, either leather or kydex.

Magazine capacity is dictated by your Division and unless your mags won't hold enough rounds, you cannot opt to load more *or* less. SSP & ESP are 10rd, CDP is 8rd.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am with katar. I find the discussions of "what holster for IDPA" to be counter to the intent of the game, and certainly to what I hope to get from it. I show up at the range with my carry gun on me, change the mags out in my pouches and gun, add a pouch to my belt for admin stuff, and shoot the match.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I am with katar. I find the discussions of "what holster for IDPA" to be counter to the intent of the game, and certainly to what I hope to get from it. I show up at the range with my carry gun on me, change the mags out in my pouches and gun, add a pouch to my belt for admin stuff, and shoot the match.
    The only DQ I've ever received was for showing up at an IDPA match with a holstered loaded concealed carry gun.....go figure. This was at a state of the art multi million dollar political lobbyist range headquarted in NoVA where concealed carry is allowed/permitted except for match days as I found out. 1st rule of the gunfight is to have a loaded gun right?

When I shot IPDA I used a Blade Tech or DeSantis belt holster with either a Glock 17, 31 or 34. I still considered it a game but many of the participants didn't. One of these years I'll shoot a classifier to make my goal of being Master. I think now that I shoot a M&P Pro and a M&P45 and have had the grips textured I have to shoot in ESP and CDP division because texturing isn't allowed but grip tape is for SSP........another weird rule.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-22-09 at 11:30.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

ToddG Guest
    Most IDPA matches are run cold. All major sanctioned matches must be run cold. Therefore, showing up with a loaded gun is often cause for DQ. I don't like the rule, but it is a rule.

Some people shoot IDPA for its practice value, others shoot it 100% as a competition to win. Both groups get something out of it. While I always fall into the first category, I do understand the pure competitors. IDPA is, after all, a game. It has a score, and it has winners. It's like a marathon. Some runners show up just to say they finished, some show up to finish first.

Something to keep in mind if you're just starting in the sport: If you are there for the practice/practical value, then don't worry about the competitors. If you don't care about your score, then you shouldn't care about their scores, either. If you do care about the fact that you're getting your ass handed to you by the competitive-minded guys, then you need to reassess whether you're really as purely tactical as you want others to believe.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Most IDPA matches are run cold. All major sanctioned matches must be run cold. Therefore, showing up with a loaded gun is often cause for DQ. I don't like the rule, but it is a rule.

Some people shoot IDPA for its practice value, others shoot it 100% as a competition to win. Both groups get something out of it. While I always fall into the first category, I do understand the pure competitors. IDPA is, after all, a game. It has a score, and it has winners. It's like a marathon. Some runners show up just to say they finished, some show up to finish first.

Something to keep in mind if you're just starting in the sport: If you are there for the practice/practical value, then don't worry about the competitors. If you don't care about your score, then you shouldn't care about their scores, either. If you do care about the fact that you're getting your ass handed to you by the competitive-minded guys, then you need to reassess whether you're really as purely tactical as you want others to believe.
    On the last IPSC match a USTC, they had a course in the house. I remember telling a shooter who has only been taught the correct way of negotiating the house. Of course they allow walk throughs, I told him that remember-decide how you want to shoot this- as a game or doing it right, if done right, you will be last.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Personally I shoot without regard for my score, i.e. I try to use it as a training tool. My scores seem to fall in the middle of the pack. I did notice that I tend to have the least number of dropped shots out of all participants.

I have seen some guys better than me doing it pretty much in a sound fashion and I was inspired and motivated by them. I also saw guys that gamed it in such a ridiculous and extreme fashion that they were actually pirouetting on one leg and almost falling onto the ground because they were running through so fast.

Feedback Score
    Todd G is absolutely right. I fall into the first category - I like to shoot USPSA, see my friends, try to gradually improve my skills, and then go cook hamburgs to sell to the other competitors to raise funds for our Junior teams.

If you want to go shoot at our club's monthly matches and come to win, you'll have an even chance of shooting against Todd Jarrett, Chris Tilley, and Bragg's Delta team members, as well as a stellar group of A-shooters. One month I was really pleased with my 28 second time on one stage until a woman shooter did a bang-up job in 10.8 seconds. I was feeling blue until Tilley hollered over asking her time - he did it in 7.9 seconds. Time to go make burgers!

We'll have anywhere from 70 to 150 shooters firing at 7 different stages on three ranges.

From what I've seen, most production shooters are firing 9mm, most limited shooters are firing .40, and most open shooters are firing .38 Super. That's not fixed in stone, but what I'm seeing on the ranges.

I'm shooting open class only so I can use my larger mags, compensated barrel, and if Grant answers my e-mail, want to put a RDS on my S&W 9FS.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Of course they allow walk throughs, I told him that remember-decide how you want to shoot this- as a game or doing it right, if done right, you will be last.
    And that's the other side of the pendulum.

I've heard of some matches up near Philly PA where they don't use timers. They just have a guy with a stop watch making sure you don't over the par time. These are very small matches and don't ever get bigger as they view themselves as 'tactical'. This is fine in my opinion but they really shouldn't be called matches as this would be more like small training course but with a score sheet. As you know I like training and competition.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast