Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA

Feedback Score

Smile

I shoot IDPA and have since its inception and I shot IPSC for 18 years before that.

I shoot in all the IDPA classes from time to time just to keep my familiarity with a lot of different pistols current.

Mostly these days I shoot a M&P Pro in SSP Master class (one of my favorite pistols of all time)
    I use one of own Talon Tactical A10 straight drop holsters and 2 single mag pouches.

I run the Deliverance IDPA club in Talking Rock Georgia
    I think IDPA is a great way to improve your pistol skills
    We run a real laid back pistol match, If you screw up a stage or have gun problems we just let you shoot it over.
    So if Todd wants to use an appendix carry holster at my match he would be welcome. Unless he beats me then hew would be DQed

Mike

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SSP Expert here...been shooting IDPA for about 10 years now. Started at SSP Novice and worked my way up. I shoot a bone stock G17 loaded with factory ammo (NOT reloads meeting minimum power factor!) in an ancient Kydex belt holster.

I find the scenarios helpful for combat shooting practice, but sometimes the rules do get in the way. It's a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon with some other shooters in the midst of a friendly competition.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I shoot IDPA and have since its inception and I shot IPSC for 18 years before that.

I shoot in all the IDPA classes from time to time just to keep my familiarity with a lot of different pistols current.

Mostly these days I shoot a M&P Pro in SSP Master class (one of my favorite pistols of all time)
    I use one of own Talon Tactical A10 straight drop holsters and 2 single mag pouches.

I run the Deliverance IDPA club in Talking Rock Georgia
    I think IDPA is a great way to improve your pistol skills
    We run a real laid back pistol match, If you screw up a stage or have gun problems we just let you shoot it over.
    So if Todd wants to use an appendix carry holster at my match he would be welcome. Unless he beats me then hew would be DQed

Mike
    That just doesn't sound right
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just to be clear, we are required to enter and leave the park that our range is in with unloaded firearms, and all guns must enter and leave the range area cased.

What I do is unload and clear the gun at the stoplight before entering the park, and then before I get out of the car and walk to the range I stick it in my range bag. Or I put the cleared gun in the center console and have a spare, identical gun in the range bag already.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    That just doesn't sound right
    If you have ever seen the neighborhood you would think the club is correctly named

Feedback Score
    Most all ranges on match day are cold ranges. I shoot IDPA and USPSA. In IDPA I use my carry rigs for SSP, ESP, CDP & SSR. For ESR I use a safariland belt holster - I don't carry my S&W625. In USPSA, I use my carry rigs for Prod, L-10 and single stack. For limited, I use a bladeteck belt loop holster and for revolver I use my IDPA stuff. I don't shoot open.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    I shoot SSP (M&P9) using a Comp-Tac belt slide holster (OWB) with 17 round mags downloaded to 10 as per IDPA rules for the Division. Tomorrow I may just use the IWB rig because it's what I carry regularly. I use OWB because I like to be competitive. Did I need to mention that I use factory FMJ ammo instead of my JHP defensive ammo? (spirit of the sport also requires IDPA use "full charge ammo" but how many of us who pay for our own ammo can afford to play by that intent of the sport???) As mentioned previously, there are purists and gamers. You get to decide upon your level of participation.

Regarding the side topic in this thread: As a Safety Officer and CCW holder, I appreciate the fact that NO ONE comes to the range with a hot weapon. Having seen far more new shooters and even authorized CCW holders with "less-than-proficient" gun handling skills, will tell all of us on here that any of you who elect to play organized games such as IDPA, USPSA, etc. can deal with being cold for the sake of sport when there are safety obligations.

-B

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That DQ happened at my 2nd match ever in mid-2004.

I found out "run what you brung" doesn't really mean that literally.
    I guess I was used to drag racing meaning you race what you drove there in, not what's in/on the trailer.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The cold range policy is easily handled for those who choose to carry and shoot with the same gear. In addition to IDPA cold range rule, most if not all gun clubs have a cold range rule.

Our wise former match directory (headhunter) designated a loading and unloading area for the concealed carriers who shoot what they carry. This is not to be confused with the "safe area" where people can tinker with their guns or dry fire, etc. There is no ammo allowed in "safe area" .

When you arrive, when you get out of your car, proceed to the loading/unloading area. Make your gun safe and holster it. You're done. Go deal with registration, bs-ing and shoot the match. When you're ready to leave the range for the day (match is done), go to the same area, make your gun hot, get in the car and go home.

Everybody is happy and no one gets DQ (unless he/she make a loud noise with the gun in such area).

It's usually wise if you show up at a new facility (i.e. out of state match or not your regular club match) to check with the match director for their policy BEFORE you arrive.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I told him that remember-decide how you want to shoot this- as a game or doing it right, if done right, you will be last.
    And that's what separates someone whose focus is on being prepared for a fight, from someone whose focus is winning a game. Back when I was shooting IDPA seriously, I'd always get ribbing from the guys at the Carolina Cup because of the way I'd shot a few stages over the years. Things like backing farther away from targets when you didn't have to, or finding cover where you didn't have to, etc.

I was lucky to make the halfway mark among the other Master-class shooters, but I felt like I wasn't compromising on my skill set. At least, that was the excuse I used for making around the halfway mark among the other Master-class shooters.

At Nationals, I even went so far as to shoot my carry ammo the years I was using 9mm. In fact, one year they couldn't chrono my 115gr +p+ load properly and finally just took my word for the fact that it made the power floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    So if Todd wants to use an appendix carry holster at my match he would be welcome.
    Dude, that is awesome and I will take you up on it sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Katar View Post
    I have seen some guys better than me doing it pretty much in a sound fashion and I was inspired and motivated by them.
    And that's why competition is such a good thing for "practical/tactical" shooters. Because even if you don't want to learn the mystic secrets of pre-planned footwork and set-ups and all the rest of the gamey stuff, you will get exposed to people who just plain shoot better than you.

This is especially true for a lot of LE/mil folks who've previously never seen anyone shoot at a really high level. After spending years exposed to their own training units, watching a top competitor blaze through a stage completely changes one's idea of what "fast" and "accurate" really mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    Todd G is absolutely right.
    Excellent way to start your post, dude. Just thought that needed to be said ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Regarding the side topic in this thread: As a Safety Officer and CCW holder, I appreciate the fact that NO ONE comes to the range with a hot weapon.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. In my experience, people are far more dangerous with supposedly "empty" guns than with ones they know are loaded. If you're not responsible enough to walk through the front gate with a loaded gun in your holster, you're not responsible enough to run around on the range while shooting multiple targets at weird angles and snaking past various obstacles.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast