Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Any video of that target system in action?

ToddG Guest
    Some thoughts, in no particular order:

"Founding Fathers" of IDPA: Remember that some of the original rulebook writers have left, and some remain. The game has changed a lot since it began. I remember when the draft rulebook got passed around to some of us ... you could checker the front strap of a 1911, but not a BHP. Some changes have been for the better, some for the worse.

Game vs. training: IDPA is a game. It is not training. It certainly can be reasonably useful practice, but that's on you.

The other shooters: Being upset at the run 'n gunners who blaze through stages (and kick your ass) is a waste of effort. If you say you don't care about your score but shoot IDPA to "practice" your tactical ninja skills, then there's no need to compare your score to the gamer who is there to win. IDPA can achieve your goals, and his goals. Unfortunately for you, they only give trophies for his.

Targets: The wide open head box of the IDPA target, I agree, sucks. I'd love to see a 3x5 "-0" zone there and call the rest of the head -3. As for the 8" body zone, it comes down to balance. The 8" zone is reasonable from a practical/"stopping" standpoint and still allows shooters to go fast ... which is fun ... which brings people back month after month ... which keeps IDPA in business. Same is true for the penalty per point dropped. I'd be more than happy to see it increased to a full second per point, personally, but the 0.5 is a good compromise compared to when the game first started (it was 0.3 back then).

FTN/Non-Threats: I appreciate the desire to penalize people to hell and back for failing to neutralize a threat and for hitting a non-threat. However, raping people over a single errant shot is decidedly unfun and contradicts the goal of having shooters want to come back. Penalties for things like that need to be high enough that you won't make silly risky shots, but low enough that an honest mistake doesn't ruin an entire afternoon's match ... or in the case of a big championship, ruin your entire trip across country. Again, IDPA = game, IDPA != real life.

Uber-reactive targets: rob_s, when you come up with the multi-hit, variable location, reactive targets that are reasonably priced, mobile, and don't give an unfair advantage to high-momentum ammunition, give me a call. I will buy many.

Surprise stages: The problem with surprise stages is that they're not always a surprise for everyone. Buddies tell each other what's inside, especially at major matches. It's wrong, it's poor sportsmanship, but it happens all the time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Once upon a time we had good reactive targets but they weren't multi-hit (although very few people got it with the first shot). They were very cheap, easy to set, and easily transported. Oh, and they all wore t-shirts so they were more "realistic" without the obvious aiming points.

The problem? They relied on balloons. At the time we had 10 shooters and we were all friends and pretty much everyone blew up their own balloons for the stage(s). Now, with 25 shooter at a carbine match, and 3, 10 target, stages? 30 balloons per shooter for a match, 25 shooters? That's just too many goddamn balloons.

I'm hoping I can figure out some kind of way to do something similar with perhaps tennis balls or something else re-usable.
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-24-09 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    Shot IDPA locally a few years. Too busy with my business to shoot regularly.

It was part of the college's practical pistol club. We were split into two groups. IDPA was IDPA and was adhered to as best as we could within the limitations of the range (indoor on college campus).

Practical Pistol was basically IDPA with training wheels. .22 and .25 was allowed. Gun jams weren't counted against, just a mulligan. No moving with a loaded gun, only slide locked guns. We used the Practical Pistol matches to get novice shooters some trigger time under pressure all the while monitoring their gun handling. In Practical Pistol, we went one shooter at a time. In IDPA we ran a full range (3 stages at the same time) balls out no mercy. You basically got familiar with range operations and COFs in Practical Pistol, then graduated to IDPA. The idea was well accepted.

That said I shot a Glock 30 for a while using Sidearmor IWB holster. Then I switched to a 10mm 1911 Commander with Aker Flatsider OWB holster. The last year I had fun and competed with 245 PF handloads in the 10mm.
    Last edited by freakshow10mm; 08-24-09 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I think you meant to leave the comma out.
    No, I meant that vests ARE required!

Seriously...I don't know where that comma came from!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I had the front area textured too. All M&Ps are textured there from the factory but I had Hatfield Gunsmithing texture it a little rougher.
    IMHO, I see nothing wrong with how you've modded your M&P and think it should be fine for SSP. After all, 20 or 30 lpi checkering is allowed on 1911's.

Unfortunately, for the sake of match admin IMHO, IDPA HQ disagrees with me!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    As far as targets, one of the best is the Ken Reed's Reed Reactor, which is similar to John Hearne's excellent targets but sized for IDPA
    Hit's outside the head or 0 down zone don't neutralize the target.

Gringop
    I have a agree that Ken's target is pretty cool. We used to have and use four of them. They can be quite a challenge to knock down...when you put t-shirts over the IDPA targets!

I had requested that the fellow who made them for us, redo the bases. The original design simply doesn't work well in a sandy environment. It was a real pain, having to adjust the sensitivity every squad or two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    FTN/Non-Threats: I appreciate the desire to penalize people to hell and back for failing to neutralize a threat and for hitting a non-threat. However, raping people over a single errant shot is decidedly unfun and contradicts the goal of having shooters want to come back. Penalties for things like that need to be high enough that you won't make silly risky shots, but low enough that an honest mistake doesn't ruin an entire afternoon's match ... or in the case of a big championship, ruin your entire trip across country. Again, IDPA = game, IDPA != real life.
    I think 5 seconds is a pretty good balance and far from penalizing people "to hell and back". That's enough of a penalty to get your attention and is a FAR cry from what could/would be the penalty in an actual defensive scenario.

Yes, for the guys who are trying to win at the Master level of each division, 5 seconds is most likely a match breaker. But then, that's as it should be.

Feedback Score
    I am leaning towards a compact m&p9, since it will be the only handgun I will have. I am going to start taking some classes, and applying for my firearms license, so it will be a while before I try IDPA.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Where do you live? In the majority of states there is no license to buy and use handguns, just to carry them concealed. You do not need to wait until you get a license to carry to shoot IDPA. Just transport the pistol unloaded and in accordance with your state law, then holster up when you get to the range. 100% legal in all 50 states.

If you are only going to have one handgun, make it a full size pistol and learn to dress around it. It is not that difficult and the difference in size between the compact and the service pistol is not that great. The longer sight radius (more tolerant of aiming errors) and greater magazine capacity of the full size pistol are well worth any minor wardrobe adjustments.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast