Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: IDPA

Feedback Score
    I live in Ga, I know I dont need a license to own or shoot, I did think it would be needed for IDPA though. From what I have read it is only taking 30 days for licenses here so I will probably end up getting it before the pistol anyway.

One of the ranges here has a "FIRST SHOTS - FIREARMS FUNDAMENTALS" class, weapons and ammo included in the fee, so I might be able to shoot a compact and full size and see what works better. I have no formal training and have only shot friend's handguns a few times, all my experience is with long guns.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post

As far as targets, one of the best is the Ken Reed's Reed Reactor, which is similar to John Hearne's excellent targets but sized for IDPA
    Hit's outside the head or 0 down zone don't neutralize the target.

I've shot these. They are good and depending how it is sprung it reinforces 'shoot till the target is no longer a threat' as two whacks to the steel doesn't necessarily drop it. Gaming it is hitting the steel and seeing it begin to drop and then moving on to the next target. 'More real' is hitting it in the steel until it is anchored to the bottom, then topping off, and leaving that point of cover on your way to the next target / point of cover.

Let's be honest though, for shear fun there is nothing like a Texas Star.

Last thought - If one has some issues with IDPA they may want to look into IPSC. IPSC is a straight up game and IMHO has some really fun aspects to it. The stages are not supposed to real or even close. The round counts are big and stage management or thinking about the most efficient way to shoot the stage is critical. Gun handling is at a premium; and IMHO it is more complex game than IDPA as a result of everything. The bullshit that goes with that game is the problem. From the cleated shoes and race gear, to the range lawyers arguing over every last little thing, to the folks that won't help tape and brass b/c they are so competitive that they are 'saving themselves' for their next stage. Don't get me wrong, you see this in IDPA but not to the same degree.

Good luck
    Last edited by Mo_Zam_Beek; 08-25-09 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    IMHO, I see nothing wrong with how you've modded your M&P and think it should be fine for SSP. After all, 20 or 30 lpi checkering is allowed on 1911's.

Unfortunately, for the sake of match admin IMHO, IDPA HQ disagrees with me!
    That's ****ing ridiculous. I'm going to end up getting a grip reduction for my G19 due to my midget hands, so I will have to compete in ESP, right? Not that I will be competitive initially, but it seems like a stupid rule.

Jay

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    I live in Ga, I know I dont need a license to own or shoot, I did think it would be needed for IDPA though. From what I have read it is only taking 30 days for licenses here so I will probably end up getting it before the pistol anyway.

One of the ranges here has a "FIRST SHOTS - FIREARMS FUNDAMENTALS" class, weapons and ammo included in the fee, so I might be able to shoot a compact and full size and see what works better. I have no formal training and have only shot friend's handguns a few times, all my experience is with long guns.
    As I stated in another thread, I'm pretty much a midget (5'5", 160) and I easily conceal (unless I'm hanging out with cops) a full-size M&P 9mm.

Jay

Feedback Score
    I guess a full size makes more sense, I wont be carrying in public, at least not until get some training and plenty of range time. I still want to shoot them both first.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I guess a full size makes more sense, I wont be carrying in public, at least not until get some training and plenty of range time. I still want to shoot them both first.
    Well the full size will have myriad advantages WRT "shootability". The compact will be slightly more concealable, but not much more so.

Jay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I live in Ga, I know I dont need a license to own or shoot, I did think it would be needed for IDPA though.
    Nope. While on the range you are a guest (or member) of a private club. You are therefore not in public and don't need a license to carry or to carry concealed.

Same as in your home or your business. CCW w/o a license is legal too.

Feedback Score
    I live in Ga, I know I dont need a license to own or shoot, I did think it would be needed for IDPA though. From what I have read it is only taking 30 days for licenses here so I will probably end up getting it before the pistol anyway. .
    A CCW license is certainly not needed for IDPA

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    To follow up on this topic. Shot a match the other day. Good news is, I was top of the CDP division. Bad news is, there were only 5 out of 40+ people! I can recall at least half the guns at matches being CDP. Cost of ammo seems to have improved, but it's still not always easy to find.

Tempted myself to go the 9mm/SSP route for the $$$ savings alone, but I love the 1911 platform and "flying ashtray" rnds.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-24-10 at 13:21.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    There used to be a monthly match at a N. Dallas range called "Texas Tactical". It's was run by cops, but civies also shot it. A handfull of local PD - all competitive shooters - would set it up on Friday evenings for the Saturday AM match using the IPSC props.

No walk-throughs ever - in fact many of the stages were 100% surprise stages. (The first time you saw the stage was when you walked through a gate.) Getting tunnel vision was not at all unusual. No one could even tape targets, set steel, etc., unless they had already shot the stage.

Using cover was required if available - and it generally was available.

Reloads were from behind cover only - no running /w an unloaded pistol, but partially loaded mags could be dropped on the ground - unlike IDPA.

Targets were either 100% dead = 1 A or 1 B, or 2 Cs, or 1 C+1 D if shooting Major, but not 3 Ds, or scored as a miss. 10 Points for a dead target, or -10 for a miss. (Hits scored 10, 7, 3 for Major caliber and 10, 7, 2 for Minor caliber.)

Holster was actual duty gear or concealable.

I always thought it was more "practical" and much more fun than the current games.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567